Taking Reconciliation for granted

Ok, so for most of my life I've been pretty scared of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Frequenting it maybe once a year if I was doing well. In the last year or so, I've become unafraid of it, and go maybe every 2 or 3 weeks. Which has been really good for me. But as this has become more routine, it's affected my attitude to sin in some respects. Like I've subconsciously developed the attitude of "Oh I won't matter too much, if I slip into sin, I can just go to Reconciliation later." I obviously know this attitude is wrong. It was almost as if, when I was scared of confession, i was scared to sin, but not so much anymore.

This sounds silly, but should I commit to going to the sacrament less often as to reduce the amount of sin?

Does not sound silly. Backsliding is one of those realities of life most of us are guilty of, myself included. I snagged these two lines from the Catechism that seemed important enough to my journey to underline:

1. Sin is before all else an offense against God, a rupture of communion with him. At the same time it damages communion with the Church.

2. Through Confession ... man opens himself again to God and the communion of the Church in order to make a new future possible.

By continuing the same sins, we are not living the new future, but reliving the past before that confession. That conscience we are given usually becomes more aware of sin after our forgiveness, and chimes in to remind us we may fall out of God's grace when presented with the potential to sin again. Its a rough road though, as we all experience, so I'll be praying for you and wish you good luck no matter path you choose.

It doesn't sound silly, but it is incorrect. And I do say that with absolute love, please believe me. You are correct that assuming you can simply go to Confession if you fall into sin is a dangerous slope to slide down. One can easily begin even justifying their own weaknesses because, hey, we've got this blanket forgiveness booth where we can let it all go! This is the sin of Presumption, which is a mortal sin. It is one that needs to be confessed with a truly contrite heart along with any other sins. When I said you are incorrect, however, is on the conclusion that the best way to avoid this sin is to lessen your attendance at Reconciliation. Quite the opposite. Continue to go to confession, and bring this new found weakness before the Lord.

[quote="muncha1, post:1, topic:312997"]
Ok, so for most of my life I've been pretty scared of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Frequenting it maybe once a year if I was doing well. In the last year or so, I've become unafraid of it, and go maybe every 2 or 3 weeks. Which has been really good for me. But as this has become more routine, it's affected my attitude to sin in some respects. Like I've subconsciously developed the attitude of "Oh I won't matter too much, if I slip into sin, I can just go to Reconciliation later." I obviously know this attitude is wrong. It was almost as if, when I was scared of confession, i was scared to sin, but not so much anymore.

This sounds silly, but should I commit to going to the sacrament less often as to reduce the amount of sin?

[/quote]

Satan would love nothing better than to have you give up, to feel the confessing is useless, and finally to stop confessing altogether. Do not give up.

Imho continue to go to frequent confession, and think about adding fasting on Wednesdays and/or Fridays to gain extra spiritual strength, along with daily prayer of course, especially the rosary. Think about eternity - being forever happy in the eternal kingdom and only being able to enter that perfect paradise where your family and friends are, if you are in God's grace.

[again imho, do not worry about presumption - that is really about people who don't go to confession but feel they will get to heaven, regardless of their sins. You on the other hand realize your sins and are confessing them. Talk to the priest about this issue while in the confessional, too. You are in a spiritual battle, and Jesus knows all about you and what you are going through - pray to Him to give you more strength of will to better resist those sins. Trust in Jesus. After sinning, try to remember to say an Act of Contrition. Again, do not give up.]

God bless you.

My suggestion: Go face-to-face in the confessional with the same priest. Having to tell the same person the same sins every time starts making you seriously look at yourself and your weaknesses.

Talk with your confessor about it and ask for guidance.

Remember: don't despair - one thief was saved; don't presume - one thief was condemned.

Seek God and trust in His mercy; love your neighbor and - and walk humbly on the pilgrimage of life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.