Taking small children to 40 Days for Life protest

I’ve been thinking about heading over to the nearest 40 Days for Life protest, but most days I’m free I would have to take my children with me (I work full-time M-F, and my husband works 10hr days Thurs-Sat and Mondays).

I’m hesitant to bring them with, not because I’m ashamed of protesting or of being pro-life – quite the opposite. I want to instill a deep respect for life in my children. (For they record, they are ages 5.5, 2.5, and 6 months).

I’m afraid, however, of pro-abortionists who counter-protest or do drive-bys. The murder of Jim Pouillon shook me badly. I’m literally afraid for my children’s safety if I bring them with me. Not only their safety, but their psyches as well. I don’t want to expose them to some nasty person screaming obscenities as we’re praying in front of the center.

I know that standing up for Truth requires sacrifice, but am I being cowardly by wanting to preserve my children’s innocence as long as I can, and not wanting to expose them to possible physical danger? Or should I put that aside in the interests of doing what’s right in standing for the unborn?

I’ve been wrestling with this issue for a while and I just can’t seem to settle it one way or the other.

[quote="wanner47, post:1, topic:213790"]
I've been thinking about heading over to the nearest 40 Days for Life protest, but most days I'm free I would have to take my children with me (I work full-time M-F, and my husband works 10hr days Thurs-Sat and Mondays).

I'm hesitant to bring them with, not because I'm ashamed of protesting or of being pro-life -- quite the opposite. I want to instill a deep respect for life in my children. (For they record, they are ages 5.5, 2.5, and 6 months).

I'm afraid, however, of pro-abortionists who counter-protest or do drive-bys. The murder of Jim Pouillon shook me badly. I'm literally afraid for my children's safety if I bring them with me. Not only their safety, but their psyches as well. I don't want to expose them to some nasty person screaming obscenities as we're praying in front of the center.

I know that standing up for Truth requires sacrifice, but am I being cowardly by wanting to preserve my children's innocence as long as I can, and not wanting to expose them to possible physical danger? Or should I put that aside in the interests of doing what's right in standing for the unborn?

I've been wrestling with this issue for a while and I just can't seem to settle it one way or the other.

[/quote]

I would say not this time. If you have no idea what it is going to be like, better safe than sorry. If you find that this and future gatherings of the like are safe, then you may want to try. But for now, I would say no.

Just MHO.

Stay at home and pray the rosary with your children.

This could help, I had a similar question:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=495705

Is it praying in front of an abortion clinic, or is it a demonstration somewhere?

Your moral obligation lies first with your children. While no parent can keep their child safe and protected 100% of the time we still need to be cautious. If you have concerns that this may not be good for your children then stay home. Later on in life when they are teens or young men and women with lots of energy, then you take them and watch them be true warriors! Hope this helps a little. You are a good mom, God bless you and your little ones!

sadly at least in my experience, the turnout of supporters will be minimal and the event will attract little interest, either from like-minded people who might be moved to join you when the see what is going on, or from troublemakers. Go and take your children and don’t anticipate trouble that is unlikely to materialize. Unless we are talking about 2 different programs 40 days is not a protest rally it is a prayer vigil.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.