Taking the Body, but not the Blood?

I am a recent convert, still in Inquiry phase, and have not had Communion. During Mass I have noticed a lot of people take the Body of Christ, but not the Blood. I assume this is because they are trying to avoid contagions.

Is it still Communion if a person takes one, but skips the other?

Yes. The host is the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus. The chalice contains the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus.

Some sources from the Ask An Apologist forum, if you’re interested…
forums.catholic.com/search.php?searchid=14502771

Thank you. It seemed a bit odd to me, but now I get it :)

[quote="MJJean, post:3, topic:331139"]
Thank you. It seemed a bit odd to me, but now I get it :)

[/quote]

You're welcome, and welcome to Catholicism as well :)
I'm a convert too, about 12 years ago now.

Yes, and the idea of transubstantiation of the Eucharist is a celebration in one succinct moment of communion that which is happening everywhere, all the time. All of creation is always and forever being transformed into the mystical body of Christ. When you get that you have gotten the Good News.

It might also be cultural preference because for centuries the laity only received the host and not the chalice. The reason was to fight the erroneous idea that the body and blood were separated–the body being only in the host and the blood only in the chalice, so if one only receive one or the other one was not receiving the whole of Christ, but only the body or the blood. For a good many people they simply can’t bring themselves to receive from the chalice because they were brought up receiving only the host. It’s a kind of reverse misunderstanding on their part. I hope that helps. And welcome home to the Church! :slight_smile:

Or not even a reverse misunderstanding, but merely a matter of tradition and custom for them. I for instance, understand full well that there is nothing wrong with receiving from both, and, on occasion, do receive from both. However, because I grew up receiving only under one species that is what I normally do, even when offered the chance to receive under both species. It is not because I think it is wrong to do otherwise, it is just what I am accustomed to doing and so it is the way I continue to receive. :slight_smile:

I grew up only having access to the Body, kneeling, at a communion rail, on the tongue. Ah for the good old days! Only the priest consumed the Precious Blood.

I rarely take the cup. It is NOT because of any fear of contagion. It is just something I am not used to doing.

However, both of my sons are gluten intolerant so they do not consume the Body, but only the Precious Blood. Both species contain the entire body, soul and divinity of Jesus, so all of us are communing with Jesus!

Same here. I generally only receive the host without partaking from the cup. For me it’s not a fear of contagions, but rather a reaffirmation of the fullness of the Eucharist under both species. Well that and the fact that the line for the Precious Blood is so dang slow :whistle:

Sorry I haven’t been back since the day I posted. Very busy weekend. Parish picnic I needed to figure out what I was going to cook and then actually make a LOT of it, friend in need of comfort, dealing with kids…urgh!

I love these forums! I haven’t gotten too deep into Catholic traditions and teachings yet as I just started RCIA about a month ago. I knew about transubstantiation, what I did not know was that laity used to only take the Body or that both contained the all of the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus. I took it a bit too literally. So literally that I thought the Body was the solid and the Blood was the liquid and that’s that!

And I never even thought about what people do who have some kind of intolerance and are unable to receive both… I guess I just figured in special cases God would understand.

I am waiting on an annulment and to finish RCIA so that I, too, can receive the Sacraments. It’s so hard sometimes to see others receive the Sacraments and to be unable to do so myself. I have been told that I will be waiting approximately a year :frowning: Well, I guess a year is better than never understanding and never receiving the Sacraments at all like some poor unfortunate souls out there.

I hope all went well with the parish picnic and other concerns. We went camping with mixed results. I came home with a foot injury I’m recovering from. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love these forums! I haven’t gotten too deep into Catholic traditions and teachings yet as I just started RCIA about a month ago. I knew about transubstantiation, what I did not know was that laity used to only take the Body or that both contained the all of the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus. I took it a bit too literally. So literally that I thought the Body was the solid and the Blood was the liquid and that’s that!

And I never even thought about what people do who have some kind of intolerance and are unable to receive both… I guess I just figured in special cases God would understand.

A lot of people have such misconceptions, even life long Catholics, so that’s not a worry. It’s good you want to know what’s what. I only wish more people did! Another thing you should know, if you don’t, is that we Catholics are not obliged to receive the Eucharist except once a year, so if you can’t receive for any reason or want to abstain, that’s fine. No one will think anything of it if you remain in your pew even after you’ve been received in the Church and may partake. :slight_smile:

I am waiting on an annulment and to finish RCIA so that I, too, can receive the Sacraments. It’s so hard sometimes to see others receive the Sacraments and to be unable to do so myself. I have been told that I will be waiting approximately a year :frowning: Well, I guess a year is better than never understanding and never receiving the Sacraments at all like some poor unfortunate souls out there.

All the best with the annulment process. We went through it too, but in our case it was a simple lack of form, so it only took a few weeks to receive word back. For those who have to wait when they yearn for the Sacrament, it’s all the sweeter when we can receive. God bless your patience and willingness to do what is required out of obedience, which is more pleasing to God than you can possibly know. God bless you and yours! :smiley:

Hi MJ,
Welcome to the Church!

Also keep in mind some people don’t take the cup because they me be amongst our brothers and sisters who struggle with alcohol problems.

Some people too cannot take the bread because of allegies.

Before Vatican II, I received both the body and blood in an eastern rite catholic mass. But they dunked the body into the blood and then gave it to me. I liked that very much.

I found out later that one of the popes around the 11th century offered to restore the giving of the precious blood during communion if there were enough bishops who wished that. But since he did not receive enough requests for it, he didn’t do it.

Just some thoughts.

“God is love, and all who live in love abide in God and God abides in them.” (hymn)

[quote="Della, post:11, topic:331139"]
I hope all went well with the parish picnic and other concerns. We went camping with mixed results. I came home with a foot injury I'm recovering from. :p
All the best with the annulment process. We went through it too, but in our case it was a simple lack of form, so it only took a few weeks to receive word back. For those who have to wait when they yearn for the Sacrament, it's all the sweeter when we can receive. God bless your patience and willingness to do what is required out of obedience, which is more pleasing to God than you can possibly know. God bless you and yours! :D

[/quote]

The picnic was lovely. I ended up making a few large bowls of nacho meat (burger, seasoning, onion and black beans) and then setting up a few smaller bowls of cheese, sour cream, and a tray of peppers and olives. It was all eaten before the clean up :)

Oww! I hope your foot heals quickly!

I am happy your annulment was speedy and uncomplicated. Mine should also be uncomplicated, but not speedy. My priest sees no reason for it to be denied on various grounds. However, if it were to be denied, I could apply again under the Petrine Privilege as my former "husband" has never been Baptized and has no intention of being Baptized as he is a Pagan. So, eventually I will be free to convalidate my current marriage and recieve the Sacraments. Waiting is the hardest. I have never been long on patience. Maybe the point of this whole mess is for me to learn to be patient.

[quote="TerryJT, post:12, topic:331139"]
Hi MJ,
Welcome to the Church!

Also keep in mind some people don't take the cup because they me be amongst our brothers and sisters who struggle with alcohol problems.

[/quote]

Thank you!

I remember going to a Lutheran church and a Baptist church when I was younger that used grape juice instead of wine because of parishioners struggling with alcohol addiction (Lutheran) or because they did not believe in alcohol of any kind (Baptist). Instead of a cup, both used a tray with teeny tiny thimbles of the juice that was blessed and then passed around during Communion.

[quote="fred_conty, post:13, topic:331139"]
Some people too cannot take the bread because of allegies.

Before Vatican II, I received both the body and blood in an eastern rite catholic mass. But they dunked the body into the blood and then gave it to me. I liked that very much.

I found out later that one of the popes around the 11th century offered to restore the giving of the precious blood during communion if there were enough bishops who wished that. But since he did not receive enough requests for it, he didn't do it.

Just some thoughts.

"God is love, and all who live in love abide in God and God abides in them." (hymn)

[/quote]

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love Catholic history. My husband and I have been watching Youtube videos of lectures given on history and tradition. I could research and learn for the rest of my life and still find something new!

Hang in there. I know it can be difficult, especially when you understand what you are missing. However, it is going to make it all the more special for you when you do get to participate. Welcome to the Catholic faith! :slight_smile:

[quote=MJJean;10918990. I assume this is because they are trying to avoid contagions.
]

I take the cup sometimes and other times I don’t. If there is a long line for the cup, I skip it. I have turned after receiving the Host and bump into someone waiting for the Chalice. That is when I usually skip that part. I was told by a priest that the CDC has never found a case where someone has gotten ill from receiving the from the cup.
[/quote]

everything is present in The Host - EVERYTHING. You don’t get anything bonus if you take both - if both are offered. My diocese doesn’t generally have both, as that would require using EMHCs,

Back in 2004, my family went to Christmas Eve Mass at my brother’s parish. my brother in law looked ALL OVER for the “man with the cup of Precious Blood” and I had to explain to him…everything is in The Host…you are not required to take both. He and my sister are from a different diocese, so that explained part of his search.

When I attend Mass at their parish, I do NOT take the Cup…I don’t need to.

I never heard of a Catholic fearing infection from the chalice or communion cup. I thought that is why Protestants use tiny shot glasses for their grape juice.

I am Eastern and we all have both species from the same spoon. No one fears, and no one has ever gotten sick.

Lutherans and Episcopalians/Anglicans all have Holy Communion from the same chalice filled with wine. Even though a few do self service intinction, (bad I know) the majority still drink from the chalice without fear.

Although all are free to receive in either one kind or both, it is worth recording that the church teaches that communion has a fuller form as a sign when received in both kinds.

Having been raised Lutheran and never seeing the cup I can say that not all Lutherans use the cup :slight_smile: Growing up and being renters, we moved a lot. Averaged a new house and a new nearby church about once every 2 years. It was always a tray and some grape juice.

I actually did hear one of the older ladies chatting with another older lady and the topic was skipping the cup out of fear of getting a cold from someone else present who had a cold and was taking Communion.

Personally, I think it’s silly. Colds and viruses happen. Either our immune system fights it off and we don’t get sick or we get sick and our immune system learns a new battle plan for next time.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.