Taking Up the Gifts -

Hello!

I'm wondering if there is a specific procedure on taking up the gifts. Specifically, when my family takes it up, is there a custom on the man carrying a certain portion over the woman. Ditto for which side each should stands on.

Our family took it up today and I had this terrible feeling that I had done something wrong. I have a TERRIBLE habit is unintentionally usurping my husbands position as head of the household. I don't think he or the usher who asked had any thought one way or the other, but I tend to over think/over plan everything and wanted to make sure no one dropped anything :).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! Oh, and I normally am VERY orthodox/TLM, so if there is an older, accepted rubric that's no longer in use, I would still be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks!!

From GIRM 73, Preparation of the Gifts:

"The offerings are then brought forward. It is a praiseworthy practice for the bread and wine to be presented by the faithful. They are then accepted at an appropriate place by the Priest or the Deacon to be carried to the altar. Even though the faithful no longer bring from their own possessions the bread and wine intended for the liturgy as was once the case, nevertheless the rite of carrying up the offerings still keeps its spiritual efficacy and significance."

You see that there no specific instruction as to who stands on which side, etc.

Here is a link to the GIRM containing this particular section that you may find helpful:

usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/roman-missal/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-2.cfm

When my husband and I bring up the gifts, I carry the bread and flagon of wine and he carries the offering basket. The only reason for this is that he is prone to drop things and will do less damage if he drops the basket (the offerings are in a sealed envelope). I usually end up standing to his right, but I could stand on his left if I wanted.

[quote="happylhomemaker, post:1, topic:301901"]
Hello!

I'm wondering if there is a specific procedure on taking up the gifts. Specifically, when my family takes it up, is there a custom on the man carrying a certain portion over the woman. Ditto for which side each should stands on.

Our family took it up today and I had this terrible feeling that I had done something wrong. I have a TERRIBLE habit is unintentionally usurping my husbands position as head of the household. I don't think he or the usher who asked had any thought one way or the other, but I tend to over think/over plan everything and wanted to make sure no one dropped anything :).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! Oh, and I normally am VERY orthodox/TLM, so if there is an older, accepted rubric that's no longer in use, I would still be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks!!

[/quote]

As far as I know the only standard for how the gifts are to be brought forward is that no one carries something that is beyond his ability to carry safely and securely. In my parish the ushers and/or sacristan usually make sure that family members, especially children, are able to handle the vessels and their contents. A basket with the monetary offerings is handled by the ushers.

Since the idea of the laity bringing up the gifts is relatively new (OK, so it's actually very old, but it's current form came about after Vatican II) there really aren't any long standing traditions about who does what in a given family. And obviously there are going to be situations (school Masses, retreat Masses, etc.) where the gift bearers will not be related and may be all of one sex.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.