Taliban Reportedly Adding HIV-Infected Needles to Explosive Devices

Taliban fighters are burying dirty needles with their bombs in a bid to infect British troops with HIV, The Sun reported Wednesday.

Hypodermic syringes are reportedly hidden below the surface of explosive devices, pointing upwards to prick bomb squad experts as they hunt for devices.

The needles are feared to be contaminated with hepatitis and HIV. And if the bomb goes off, the needles become deadly flying shrapnel.

The tactic, used in the Afghan badlands of Helmand, was exposed by British ex-Army officer Patrick Mercer.

"Are there no depths to which these people will stoop? This is the definition of a dirty war," Mercer said.

Razor blades are also being used. All Royal Engineer and Royal Logistic Corps bomb search teams have been issued with protective Kevlar gloves.

foxnews.com/world/2010/06/09/taliban-reportedly-adding-hiv-infected-needles-explosive-devices/?test=latestnews

If this is true, then it would take "crime against humanity" to a whole new level. I see this also as a low-tech sort of biological warfare: you can't create your own biological weapon, then do the next best thing, recycle used ones.

[quote="Milliardo, post:2, topic:201354"]
If this is true, then it would take "crime against humanity" to a whole new level. I see this also as a low-tech sort of biological warfare: you can't create your own biological weapon, then do the next best thing, recycle used ones.

[/quote]

If the Taliban are doing this, it looks like they are reaching somewhat. I have doubts that HIV can survive the heat of an explosion.

DaveBj

[quote="DaveBj, post:3, topic:201354"]
If the Taliban are doing this, it looks like they are reaching somewhat. I have doubts that HIV can survive the heat of an explosion.

DaveBj

[/quote]

That was my first thought as well.

It is interesting though to note how much the Taliban and criminalsthugs have in common. An infected HIV needle is a weapon of choice for many drug addicts robbing the neighborhood convenience store.

The world's losers share the same trait of small-mindedness.

[quote="Darryl1958, post:4, topic:201354"]
That was my first thought as well.

It is interesting though to note how much the Taliban and criminalsthugs have in common. An infected HIV needle is a weapon of choice for many drug addicts robbing the neighborhood convenience store.

The world's losers share the same trait of small-mindedness.

[/quote]

+1

DaveBj

Hmm... the Fox News article is based upon an article in the The Sun, a British tabloid. That article, in turn, is based upon a statement by Patrick Mercer, a Member of Parliament who has been out of the military for 30 years. What is the source of Mercer's information?

I'm a bit skeptical of the claim. All kinds of atrocities are alleged during wartime, many of which are not true. Not that I would put it past the Taliban to do such a thing, but I would like evidence stronger than an allegation from a junior politician.

[quote="DaveBj, post:3, topic:201354"]

DaveBj

[/quote]

Plus, not to mention that these roadside bombs will sit in the dirt and ground for several hours, so right there that's probably enough time for any virus or contagion to die and be rendered harmless.

ChadS

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.