Talk About Movies

Matthew Lickona and Ernie Grimm discuss current and classic films from a Catholic perspective.

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

Full article…

Matthew Lickona and Ernie Grimm discuss current and classic films from a Catholic perspective.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Full article…

Matthew Lickona and Ernie Grimm discuss current and classic films from a Catholic perspective

Full article…

Matthew Lickona and Ernie Grimm discuss current and classic films from a Catholic perspective

The Pursuit of Happyness

Full article…

Children of Men

Full article…

Children of men was a great movie, but there were alot of loose ends at the end. Yes I agree, the fact that they never actually tell you what the human Project is, is annoying.

I did feel that there were several points in this movie which made me thing in christian terms. People sacrificing for the protection of the unborn child, redemption, a second chance, etc…

**Shopgirl **

Full article…

Matthew Lickona and Ernie Grimm discuss current and classic films from a Catholic perspective…

As Good As It Gets

Full article…

Spiderman 3

Full article…

The Painted Veil
Directed by John Curran
Starring Edward Norton, Naomi Watts
125 minutes, 2006, China/USA, Color, Mandarin/English/French

Full article…

Stranger than Fiction
Directed by Marc Forster
Starring Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Emma Thompson
2006, 113 minutes, Color, English, USA

Full article…

I thoroughly enjoyed Stranger than Fiction.
I did not see Emma Thompson’s role as playing God…just an odd quirk - a kinda “what if?”

Even though the ending is sort of redemptive for Emma I like the fact that making the change she did affected her life, and that was ok with her.

I believe the ending shows that she should have stuck with the original ending, and that by messing with the beauty of the plan as it was set in motion, hurts her career and affects her ability to write as she was meant to from then on. This is not necessarily a good thing.

Bruce Almighty
Directed by Tom Shadyac
Starring Jim Carrey, Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Aniston
2003, Color, English, USA, 101 minutes
Some crude humor

Full article…

***Apocalypto ***
Directed by Mel Gibson
Starring Rudy Youngblood, Dalia Hernandez
2006, 139 minutes, USA, Color, Maya with English subtitles
Strong violence and gore

Full article…

Evan Almighty
Directed by Tom Shadyac
Starring Steve Carrell, Morgan Freeman, Lauren Graham
2007, 95 minutes, English, USA, Color

Full article…

***Mary Poppins ***
Directed by Robert Stevenson
Starring Julie Andrews
139 minutes, USA, English, Color, 1964

Full article…

***Big Fish ***
Directed by Tim Burton
Starring Albert Finney, Ewan McGregor, Billy Crudup
2003, 125 minutes, USA, English, Color

Full article…

Sweet Land
Directed by Ali Selim
Starring Tim Guinee, Elizabeth Reaser
110 minutes, USA, English/German/Norwegian, Color, 2005

Full article…

The Magnificent Seven
Directed by John Sturges
Starring Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Eli Wallach
1960, 128 minutes, USA, Color, English/Spanish

Full article…

***Fargo ***
Directed by Joel Coen
Starring William H. Macy, Frances McDormand
1996, USA, Color, English, 98 minutes
Strong violence, brief nudity

Full article…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.