Talk about the Saints that inspire you, share some of your favorite quotes

I thought this would be a good thread to start, to get a perspective on certain Saints in the church that people gravitate torwards. obviously a good but generic answer would be to say all of the Saints. although I do have love for all of the Saints there are certain ones that intrigue me more than others. I like to spend time reading about the lives of the Saints, reading some of the beautifal & thoughtful quotes from some of the great Saints that are part of the history of our great Catholic faith.I believe that this is an overlooked treasure of our faith by many. who are some of your favorite Saints? what are some of your favorite sayings & quotes from various Saints? what Saints do you find inspiration from? what Saints name did you take for your Confirmation?, etc. some of my favorite Saints are Padre Pio, John Vianney, St Louis Marie DeMontfort, Blessed Saint Faustina, Francis of Assisi, just to mention a few.
The name I took at Confirmation was Joseph. one of my favorite quotes about the Blessed Virgin Mary comes from Padre Pio.

“The strength of Satan, who assaults me, is terrible. But long live God! for he has placed my salvation and the ultimate victory in the hands of our heavenly Mother. Protected and guided by such a tender Mother, I will stay to fight as long as God wishes - secure and full of confidence in this Mother that I will never succumb. How far away, O Father, does the hope for victory seem when seen from the land of exile! But how close and how sure it seems when it is seen from the house of God, where one remains under the protection of this most holy Mother!”

I always loved this story, from Fr. Robert Barron:

payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/05/10/rose-hawthorne-and-the-entwined-love-of-god-and-neighbor/

dj

St. Francis of Assis:

“Preach the Gospel. And if Necessary, Use Words”

Being originally from NYC, my favorite of all time is St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. Also, St. Pierre Toussaint who was a Black hairdresser who apparently went to the same church as Elizabeth but they never knew each other! Also, Jane Francis de Chantal. Lately, I have grown quite fond of Blessed Franz Jagerstatter who was martyred in Germany in WWII; probably because he had an illegitamate child, then married a different woman and had three more children. His widowed wife was at the Vatican for the celebration of his Blessed-ness as were his children. Way cool.

St. Barbara, Virgin and Martyr
The father became so angry at the discovery of her having become a Christian, that he would have killed his daughter with his sword, had she not fled to the top of the tower. He followed her, and finally had her in his power. First he wreaked his vengeance on her in blows, then clutching her by the hair he dragged her away and thrust her into a hut to prevent her escape. Next, he tried every means to induce her to renounce her faith; threats, severe punishments, and starvation had no effect on the constancy of the Christian maiden.

Finding himself powerless to shake his daughter’s constancy, Dioscurus delivered her to the proconsul Marcian, who had her scourged and tortured, but without causing her to deny the Faith. During her sufferings, her father stood by, exulting in the torments of his child. Next night, after she had been taken back to prison, Our Lord appeared to her and healed her wounds. When Barbara appeared again before him, Marcian was greatly astonished to find no trace of the cruelties that had been perpetrated on her body. Again she resisted his importunities to deny the Faith, and when he saw that all his efforts were in vain, he pronounced the sentence of death. Barbara was to be beheaded. Her unnatural father claimed the privilege to execute it with his own hands, and with one blow severed his daughter’s head from her body, on December 4, 237.

and we think we have it rough…

I love your username, Saint Wannabe :D. :thumbsup: It’s both amusing and really good.

Mine was Saint Daniel. It wasn’t a good idea, though. The reason is that I took him as my Patron Saint because I wanted his supernatural gifts of knowledge and miracles and visions and the like. He gave me some of that “knowledge” . . . the knowledge that I shouldn’t be seeking supernatural experiences, and that I picked him in the sin of pride :o. . . . so my relationship with him has always been a little confused after that ;). For a while, after I had my realization, I was too embarrassed to pray to him. I pray to him a good deal nowadays for wisdom and faith, though, and we get along better as a consequence :). By which I mean that I feel more comfortable now I’ve gotten over the embarrassment and have stuck with him rather than picking someone else! Lol.

Hey L.E., thanks for the compliment on my user name. I do wish to be a Saint one day, even though I go about it the wrong way most of the time. I as you do, also believe very strongly in intercessory prayer & help from the Saints. like I said in my original thread post, I believe that the treasure of the Saints are lost on many in the church nowadays. I don’t even really hear about intercessory prayer anymore. I have to admit that I really never gave most of the Saints much thought myself, but I was also busy living up to my neck in sin like a selfish schmuck. whether its intercessory prayer, teachings about the Eucharist and the Blessed Mother, the lives of many of them, the quotes from them, or whatever, I am extremely thankful for them all.

Blessed Margaret of Castello, patron saint of the unborn.
priestsforlife.org/testimony/castello.html
She was born blind, hunchback and dwarf and was kept hidden from the world for nine years. Her parents took her to be cured at a shrine and when she wasn’t cured they abandoned her. Such an inspiration not only for the prolife cause but also for each of us when we are feeling down and are doubting what we can do for God.

One of my favorite saints is St. Francis of Assisi. I’ve studied him a lot.

One of my favorite quotes is, “If you are what you should be, you will set the world on fire,” from St. Catherine of Siena.

And… I took Anne as my Confirmation name! :slight_smile:

LET’S GO DO THIS!!! :D:thumbsup:

[quote=Saint wannabe]Hey L.E., thanks for the compliment on my user name. I do wish to be a Saint one day, even though I go about it the wrong way most of the time. I as you do, also believe very strongly in intercessory prayer & help from the Saints. like I said in my original thread post, I believe that the treasure of the Saints are lost on many in the church nowadays. I don’t even really hear about intercessory prayer anymore.
[/quote]

Then you may want to read this. It’s a really good news article about intercessory prayer. You know about how many large Anglican communities around the world are seeking entrance to the Catholic Church right now, and the Church just recently provided a way for them to do this? A lot of Catholics are putting this down to the intercession of Cardinal Newman, who looks like he’s about to be beatified.

Here’s the article: catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=34695

[quote=Saint wannabe] I have to admit that I really never gave most of the Saints much thought myself, but I was also busy living up to my neck in sin like a selfish schmuck. whether its intercessory prayer, teachings about the Eucharist and the Blessed Mother, the lives of many of them, the quotes from them, or whatever, I am extremely thankful for them all.
[/quote]

Actually, the website I just linked for you, the one which the article is from, has lots of good teachings and stories about our Mother and probably the Eucharist too. It’s a great place for hearing more about the faith and for seeing it in action in today’s world.

My dear friend

from the NT , the apostles, God is Love- is my favourite quote. The more we know this the more we know about everything. To understand this fully requires an infinite mind and if we had that infinite mind to understand this one thing we would know everything just by exploring this one fact that - God is Love.

God bless you and pray for me please:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

Hey L.E., thanks for posting that link, I’ll check that out today. I also want to look at that link that djeter posted. P.S. Cloistered Mom, I like to watch a show on EWTN called Super Saints, and it aired an episode about Blessed Margaret of Castello, talk about a person of great faith and talk about having some real jerks for parents, (yikes). I’ll put a link down below for EWTN in case anyone wants to look into that show.

www.ewtn.com

also here is an inspiring quote from Saint John of Avila.

“One Blessed be God in times of adversity, is worth more than a thousand acts of gratitude in times of prosperity.”

“This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections.”
– Saint Augustine

Hey djeter, thanks for that link, I found that very interesting and informing. I do believe that we are all called to be Saints and I think that Rose Hawthorne should be considered a Saint. I believe that many people, although not officially cannonized by the church, are Saints. I consider my own Mother a saint and I would think that just about anyone who ever met her would agree. She grew up in an orphanage and never really knew her parents due to an unfortunate automobile accident. she still went on to raise a family, and next to God, family was the most important thing that she believed in. she volunteered any time she had to the church, cooking for festivities, etc. she was never very vocal about her beliefs, but people that got to know her, knew what she was all about. in a very real way, I believe that she is with me every day guiding me and watching over me. she died on Good Friday in 2000 and life has never really been the same without her around. I also consider both Pope John II and Mother Teresa to be Saints, although the church doesn’t recognize them as such in the present time. I think that they both left behind them great examples of how we should live our Christian lives (or try as hard as we can to mirror theirs). I also think that they both left behind great teachings, writings, and quotes that we can all learn from. I know that both John Paul II and Mother Teresa have their critics both in and outside of the church, but if anyone really takes the time to see the impact that these people had on the world, its hard to deny that they both walked with Christ always and in everything they did & said.

“Peace is simplicity of spirit, serenity of mind, tranquillity of soul, the bond of love. Peace is order, it is harmony in each one of us. It is the continual rejoicing that is born from the testimony of a good conscience. It is the holy joyfulness of the heart in wich God reigns. Peace is the way of perfection; or rather, in peace one finds perfection. And the devil, who knows this very well, makes every effort to make us lose our peace.”

Padre Pio

Most saints were pretty weird, harmless, but weird.

Padre Pio was cool, so was Frassati and John Paul II, even though the last two aren’t saints, they should be though. Frassati will soon be, someone us young people can relate to.

For me,it struck me when i read what St Jerome wrote
‘Ignorance of Scripture is ignorant of Christ’**

I can’t say I love Jesus when I don’t read his Word.:smiley:

‘Every time we look at the Blessed Sacrament our place in heaven is raised forever.’

St. Gertrude the Great

‘When the object of our love is infinite we can always love more and more.’

St. Ignatius of Loyola

‘Be still and know that I AM.’

Psalm 45:10

www.saintsquotes.net

I took the name Dominic after St. Dominic for my confirmation, and after my grandfather Dominic. My middle name is Thomas, and so St. Thomas, so I thought it only fair. :slight_smile:

And they do go together well.

I love that!

“Jesus has no need of books or doctors to instruct souls. He who is himself the Doctor of Doctors teaches without the noise of words. Never have I heard him speak, but I feel he is within me at each moment; he is guiding and inspiring me with what I must say and do.”

St. Therese of Lisieux

The Little Flower

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.