Talk of Satan

Everyone in the church when it comes to sin say “Well I yielded to Satan”. Now I don’t say I don’t believe in Satan but I think people give him way too much credit. Is he omnipotent? He seems to be ever present and the cause of all evil. I think our own natures and desires are our problems, habit too when leaving sin. It seems to me anyway after absolution and I can really feel God’s presence like during adoration that when it hits. I think it might be simply always being in a state of sin when you’re in grace you are not used to the state of grace and you’re tempted by your nature too. Opinions? lol. It’s almost like “The devil made me do it!” Being in grace sure takes getting used to after not going to confession for awhile.

Bill

There are three problems or challenges we face;

1. Sin (embedded in our fallen nature inherited from Adam that loves to do what is displeasing to God)
  2. Satan (who is eager to lead us astray)
  3. The World (which tempts us to sin with many enticements)

So, it’s not all Satan, but don’t underestimate him or the demons who are in league with him.

Satan is just the PR guy.

But I think I am perfectly capable of sinning all by myself, even if Satan and all daemons took a holiday.

Sounds to me as if it may help people to pray the Confiteor more often as that clearly states where responsibility lies (see below)

I confess to almighty God, and to you my brothers and sisters, that I have greatly sinned, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have failed to do, through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault therefore, I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin, all the Angels and Saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God

Saying one yields to Satan doesn’t seem to me to be an attitude of real sorrow and repentance, it seems to contain an element of self-justification or sliding away from accepting the blame. I suppose it depends on the tone used to say it.

For me personally, I have to accept responsibility for my own actions, for good or bad either thanking God for blessing me or confessing my sins. No amount of words is ever going to hide the truth from God.

PS. If you have a kindle there is a good book called The Devil by Niall Brennan. It is a pamphlet which seriously discusses the devil in a normal sane and balanced way. I think I paid less than £2 (UK money) or it might have been a free book.

Tradition holds that God will never allow a person to be tempted more than they could resist. So yes we are responsible for all of the sins we commit and we have the ability to resist them.

However, I think Satan is often taken too lightly by people. It is important to remember that Satan and all the demons of hell hate you, and they have nothing else to do with eternity but suffer and do their best to cause you to suffer. There is no greater suffering than being cut off from God.

So the Devil can’t “make” you do anything, but he certainly is constantly doing his best to destroy you.

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

-1_Peter_5:8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.