Talk to your priest

so many people here always recommend going to talk to a priest about the content of their post/question/concern. you know, i have had really bad luck when it comes to interacting with priests. they never really seem to care, or are too busy to even give me the time of day. maybe it’s me, maybe i’m one of those weird people nobody wants to be around. but it just seems strange to me that so many people here recommend talking to priests and whenever i do, all the priest seems to want to do is run away as fast as possible.

when i had a very difficult spiritual issue, i called up a priest looking to make an appointment. it took him a month and a half to call me back. it the meantime, a called a different priest and made an appointment. at the appointment, all the priest could do was watch the clock waiting for the half hour to be over.

when my mom was on her deathbed in the ICU of the hospital, i called up THREE different parish priests. NOT ONE cared enough to get off their lazy, fat butts and give her the sacraments. all they cared about was “is she a member of our parish?”.

whenever i see someone recommending “talk to a priest”, i always think to myself, why bother, they really don’t care anyway. my opinion now is that priests are only there for Mass and Confession, and everything else is up to us to deal with by ourselves.

when my mom was on her deathbed in the ICU of the hospital, i called up THREE different parish priests. NOT ONE cared enough to get off their lazy, fat butts and give her the sacraments. all they cared about was “is she a member of our parish?”.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the Last Rites have to be put in the parish record.

Fallacy of generalization makes your argument invalid on the whole.

You can’t take the case of three or five or ten priests and say, “This is how all priests are!” If you meet a bad priest, say a Hail Mary for him, and leave the rest up to God.

I am sorry you felt this way, but I would recommend you might want to going through a day with a priest at my parish, and you see how hard they work.

Not wanting to upset you more, but I think you need to show respect and dignity of priests and understand what kind of works they have to deal it in one day before calling them names.

I agree with this. And I too, am sorry for the difficulty you’ve had in relating to your priests. :console: A big part of the “attitude” you’ve encountered… is probably due to the fact that your priests are extremely overworked. This could be the result of a possible priest-shortage in your diocese? :shrug:

Please don’t give up on your priests. :wink: You may need to be a little more persistent in making appointments… and then, a little more understanding of their human frailties. Priests carry a tremendous burden… because they are responsible before God… for so many souls. Please pray for our priests.

God bless you.

I agree with this.
I work part time at our parish. Superman couldn’t keep up with our Priest. We have one priest, over 700 families plus college students. We are also building a new church. Our Priest doesn’t have time to turn around.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.