Talk with a Priest

Hello, I am just trying to find out how I can talk with a priest online or at least away from my diocese. I am not seeking any of the sacraments, I just need some spiritual direction. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem, but I am a seminarian and these men will be my brother priests and I need help that I don’t want them to associate me with. Again, most things I would be fine talking with the priests here and for simple confession I have no qualms, but none of the local priests have been able to help me and I haven’t been able to develop a relationship that would allow me to trust them not to associate me with the level I need help.

Disturbed Seminarian

It doesn’t sound good that you don’t already have a spiritual director within the seminary or diocese. Or that you feel you cannot trust or open up to any priest within your entire diocese. However if you feel you must talk to someone else, try contacting a seminary, retreat house, or cathedral in another area. You will at least know something about the man you talk to there, rather than reaching an anonymouse online maybe priest.

You could private-message Fr. Serpa…

You can find him on the Ask An Apologist page.

Gem

I’m having the same problem. I only joined this site because I have a problem that I really want to talk to with someone, and I can’t find ANYWHERE online a site that allows me to just talk instantly and anonymously with someone about a specific problem. Why is it so hard to find a catholic instant-messaging type thing, some kind of hotline or anything like that for people who need help? The closest thing I found were online dating sites, or links to counseling sites that require payment. The Catholic church needs to adapt if it wants to help young people, and those of us who want anonymous and free catholic counseling shouldn’t have to be told that our expectations are too high or that we need to just learn to deal with the system that exists. It shouldn’t be this hard to find help in this day and age - caring clergy could easily start a facebook page and volunteer to chat with strangers who need a friend. Do you know what it’s like to type “Catholic online counseling” into the google bar over and over and come up with articles about a new Ipad App for people who want to confess their sins at a nominal fee? It feels like there’s no spirit out there, nothing alive to connect with, and I feel like a fool for expecting my faith to stay alive in this crazy world. I know I may have ranted a little and gone off-topic, but I swear I looked for groups on this site that are on topic and when I thought I found one it wouldn’t let me post anything. If anyone reading this is a clergy member who wants to keep faith alive, come find me or some other needy soul on facebook. We’re waiting. Thank you for your time.

[quote="Joanofoptimism, post:4, topic:166032"]
I'm having the same problem. I only joined this site because I have a problem that I really want to talk to with someone, and I can't find ANYWHERE online a site that allows me to just talk instantly and anonymously with someone about a specific problem. Why is it so hard to find a catholic instant-messaging type thing, some kind of hotline or anything like that for people who need help? The closest thing I found were online dating sites, or links to counseling sites that require payment. The Catholic church needs to adapt if it wants to help young people, and those of us who want anonymous and free catholic counseling shouldn't have to be told that our expectations are too high or that we need to just learn to deal with the system that exists. It shouldn't be this hard to find help in this day and age - caring clergy could easily start a facebook page and volunteer to chat with strangers who need a friend. Do you know what it's like to type "Catholic online counseling" into the google bar over and over and come up with articles about a new Ipad App for people who want to confess their sins at a nominal fee? It feels like there's no spirit out there, nothing alive to connect with, and I feel like a fool for expecting my faith to stay alive in this crazy world. I know I may have ranted a little and gone off-topic, but I swear I looked for groups on this site that are on topic and when I thought I found one it wouldn't let me post anything. If anyone reading this is a clergy member who wants to keep faith alive, come find me or some other needy soul on facebook. We're waiting. Thank you for your time.

[/quote]

In all honesty, the reason is that talking to a person directly will always be better than message boards, instant messaging, or e-mails. You also have to consider that internet communications can be risky because that counsel can be used against the counselor. That's the reason personal relationships are preferred. Please also do a thorough search of Facebook as I believe there are probably places you haven't discovered that you would find helpful. Also, even if you are not desiring a Confession, the Confessional is a place where one can seek counsel anonymously.

I really can't believe that a priest doesn't want to respond to you. I have ventured a one-off question here or there to someone I've seen on the internet and I have ALWAYS gotten a response- not an in-depth conversation, but a response.

Maybe you need to consider what/how you are asking? And whom?

Good luck- I know you'll find the right person at the right time.

I did mean to add that I do sympathize, however.

Hi, Everybody!

I’ve also been wondering if there’s a way to talk to a priest online. Not because I have trust issues w/the parish priest, but because I’m mostly housebound, due to illness.
I know priests are way too busy with all their duties & other parishioners, to make a “house call” - much less, to do so on a regular basis. Heck, I don’t know if that’s even allowed…

I do manage to attend Mass sporadically, but that’s not the time to get into an in depth, personal conversation, anyway.

A previous post by a seminarian, made me think of something…
Are seminarians - those near ordination, of course - not newbies - allowed to converse with us on an e-mail level?
That’d be such a great resource because they have mentors who can assist them with any tough questions or situations. Just an idea…

Hopefully, my illness - although chronic - will ease up enough to allow me to meet with the local priest, who is only 4 blocks from here!!!

It’s tough, being so disabled, yet so young, & not understanding how my experience can be of value - having access to a priest would sure be helpful!!!

Peace 2 All!
Pippi

[quote="Joanofoptimism, post:4, topic:166032"]
I'm having the same problem. I only joined this site because I have a problem that I really want to talk to with someone, and I can't find ANYWHERE online a site that allows me to just talk instantly and anonymously with someone about a specific problem. Why is it so hard to find a catholic instant-messaging type thing, some kind of hotline or anything like that for people who need help? The closest thing I found were online dating sites, or links to counseling sites that require payment. The Catholic church needs to adapt if it wants to help young people, and those of us who want anonymous and free catholic counseling shouldn't have to be told that our expectations are too high or that we need to just learn to deal with the system that exists. It shouldn't be this hard to find help in this day and age - caring clergy could easily start a facebook page and volunteer to chat with strangers who need a friend. Do you know what it's like to type "Catholic online counseling" into the google bar over and over and come up with articles about a new Ipad App for people who want to confess their sins at a nominal fee? It feels like there's no spirit out there, nothing alive to connect with, and I feel like a fool for expecting my faith to stay alive in this crazy world. I know I may have ranted a little and gone off-topic, but I swear I looked for groups on this site that are on topic and when I thought I found one it wouldn't let me post anything. If anyone reading this is a clergy member who wants to keep faith alive, come find me or some other needy soul on facebook. We're waiting. Thank you for your time.

[/quote]

I agree. It shouldn't be so difficult to find caring clergy. Have you tried the Reverend Know-it-All?. He answered once for me.

I can understand why there would be things that would feel strange talking about to people you know. It amazes me how small the Catholic community is and I think it is even more small if you are involved in ministry of some sort.

Have you thought of simply googling parishes in an area where there are people you don’t know and phone up a parish and arrange a phone meeting? It might cost you a bit on long distance but at least your concerns can be addressed. You can also email several priests and see what happens. It will probably take longer for them to respond back but if you don’t mind the wait, try it.

A hint, if you want to keep your name a secret, be sure to use an account which doesn’t have your name in it’s address such as micheljfox@hotmail.com nor your name in the send and registration section. Otherwise if the priest sees two different names, for example twinkletwinklelittlestar@gmail.com and it was sent by Jake Smith: it defeats the purpose and you might end up looking like an idiot verses someone who really needs help.

I suggest that you pray beforehand before you call or email. God knows what is going on and he knows the right person to help you.

geezus like to play s&m wit meb

[quote="Margooot, post:11, topic:166032"]
geezus like to play s&m wit meb

[/quote]

Reported as offensive.

Happy Saturday Morning. I was born into a Catholic family, but I haven't been inside the Catholic Church except for three times since age five. My mother changed religions after my father passed.

I never felt comfortable in the other churches, so as I got older I began to refuse going to church alltogether. At age forty I know very little about what it means to be Catholic. I want to learn how to be Catholic. I feel that catholic religion would be very supportive of my values of Love, Peace, and Honesty.

I've never been to confession. I've never owned a Catholic Bible. I've been to Midnight Mass once and I know there's a lot more to the Catholic Church than Sunday Mass, but I have never been a part of any of it, only because I just wasn't exposed to it after age five.

If I can learn enough about how to be Catholic then I will feel more confident about stepping into the Catholic Church on my own, as an adult. But untill then I feel like a stranger and I'm afraid to go inside.

I attempted to walk into a Cathedrial about a year ago. I just wanted to sit and pray. But the doors were locked. I felt silly. I guess I thought the doors would always be open. I remember going in once with someone when I was a teen, and we lit candles. It was in the middle of a weekday.

So, you see, I don't know what I'm doing. I'm here for guidance in living like a real Catholic; to learn the ways and the customs. Right now I'd be scared to death to walk into a confessional. I've never been in one. I wouldn't be sure how it's done. My luck I'd get inside and there would be no preist...or I'd get inside and someone else would come in and say, "Hey, I was next. I had an appointment." lol?

I have five children. My only little one is six. The others are much older. I don't even know how to get my little son involved. I don't know what activities are scheduled, what ages they're for, or if it costs money to attend.

I've lived in many places, and I've often cried tears to God, praying that I want to go home. But even when I went home I felt lost. Maybe the Catholic Church is the "home" I have been seeking for so long.

I was glad to find this forum online. I'm here for guidance and support in becoming a real Catholic, and I'm excited about this. Could this be the place where I have always belonged...in the Catholic Church? Could this be my long lost community? I almost feel like I need a "Catholic tutor" to teach me the Catholic ways. Of course, lol, I don't know if there is such a thing.

Thank you and bless you. I'm HAPPY to be here.

I'm a little lost about these threads...is this where I post a question? I posted my introduction then was taken right to this blank page to type...please overlook this post if I'm in the wrong place. :)

hi every one i am here to get an answer about the two biblical verses about judas in 1 judas has died in field and in other he hanged him self how could one man die twice … when bible is knows as God’s word ? what should i call this a error mistake or what …

verse are given below:
Matthew
27:5 And he put down the silver in the Temple and went out, and put himself to death by hanging.
o-bible.com/cgibin/ob.cgi?version=bbe&book=mat&chapter=27

other one is:
Acts
1:18 (Now this man, with the reward of his evil-doing, got for himself a field, and falling head first, came to a sudden and violent end there.

o-bible.com/cgibin/ob.cgi?version=bbe&book=act&chapter=1

[quote="Gem, post:3, topic:166032"]
You could private-message Fr. Serpa...

You can find him on the Ask An Apologist page.

Gem

[/quote]

Good idea is that and there are a few priests on here. I messaged one once and got a reply okay.
Though mostly I do talk quite privately to my priest via email but he knows me and he knows it my prefered way. Thats different to what you are wanting because you are wanting anonymously too you suggest? Fr Serpa might know of how you can get something organised on a regular basis as such too.

Good luck

"Ah, Harry, we have to stumble through so much dirt and humbug before we reach home. And we have no one to guide us. Our only guide is our homesickness." -- Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse

The first place to start, other than the seminarian, is your local parish.

The priest or priests there do make "house calls" and should be able to schedule a regular time to visit. There might also be a ministry at your local parish for the home bound. If there is, you might be able to set up weekly visits with someone.

For those that have to learn about the Catholic church, again, call your local parish. They will be able to get you in touch with someone that introduce you to the RCIA team. If you have NEVER been to Confession, they will want to know if you have ever received Communion and if you have been Confirmed.

The reason everyone should be calling their local parish, rather than questioning a priest, instantly and anonymously on line, is that there aren't priests that sit at a computer waiting for a question. They are out running the parish, visiting the sick and administering the sacraments. Even priests on this site pop in and out.

Joseph, you need to find a spiritual director. I am very surprised that the seminary hasn't talked to you about that. :shrug: But since they haven't, you need to address the issue with them. They are going to be able to help you find someone. And again it won't be someone on line that you never see or meet. It will be someone that you can talk to, face to face.

hi I`m ace angel I have a big problem I was so interested in becoming a self ordained
minister I didn't look at what I was doing I accidentally joined an atheist
mean church how do I get out of it and away from them

I really need to talk to a priest or someone. I am at the end of my rope. I posted something earlier that explains more but I am asking for help. I read some of these posts and it scared me. As I wrote in my other post I felt as if this is the end, I know it is, and I am writing this to no one. No one to speak to speak to. Now no one for help!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.