Talking about God but when Catholicism is brought up

I get questions from someone who I talk about God with. They’re protestant, and I make sure to be polite and not talk too much about the differences in our beliefs. He doesn’t have issues with Catholics, at least not that I know of.

I’ll mention something like Lent, they’ll be confused. So I explain it and they ask what I do during that time, like other than just give stuff up. I say that people probably would pray, read the Bible, and in my Church pray the rosary.

Then they say "why do Catholics pray the rosary, don’t the beads mean something? " I try to explain the basics and they start getting distracted, or change the subject a bit.

Why do they ask things and just drop it when the conversation gets good? :confused: I try to make sure to say that it’s about Jesus and stuff, trying to stop any chance of false stories about Mary worship some people are told popping up. I don’t think he’s been told anything like that though, so it probably comes off differently.

He’s polite about faith, but I’m unsure why there’s questions without a desire for an answer. Maybe they’re not too strong in their knowledge about their beliefs?

I was raised in protestant denomination and we were very straight forward people. It may be that the rosary seems convoluted and isn’t exactly in scripture. :slight_smile:

The rosary is from scripture.

I think they want to appear open minded. The way to do that is by asking you questions about your faith. However, deep down, I don’t believe they really are interested in knowing. Well, if they were truly interested in knowing, they’d listen to your response instead of trying to change the subject.

I think they want to raise the topic of religion, but not so that they can discuss yours, rather to turn it around, discuss theirs, possibly try to convert you.

When you discuss yours, they can act, “confused”, even if they understand perfectly. It’s a way of putting down your faith, in my opinion.

If that’s the case, might be best to avoid the topic of religion, since they will basically ignore you and your response, not take it or you, seriously.

It sounds unlikely like you will change them or that they will change you, so why do it?

Rete, Well that needs to be made plain when explaining it to a protestant, complete with Bible verses to back it up. :slight_smile:

Please don’t expect expert catholic answers from me, I haven’t even started RCIA yet, I’m just a simple person who knows a few things about this and that. My response was mainly to explain how straight forward protestants are. :slight_smile:

Just in case it comes up again, tuck this answer away for the time you need it :slight_smile:

Hail Mary prayer

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus. Holy Mary mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death ….Amen

If one is asked where is that prayer in scripture?

[LIST]
]Hail [Mary]The Angel addresses Mary directly. Full of grace [/FONT]κεχαριτωμένη, / kecharitōmenē (1 occurrence in scripture - verb - perfect passive participle vocative voice - singular) [/FONT]http://concordance.biblos.com/kecharito_mene_.htm The Lord is with you. *[/FONT]Luke 1:28
*]Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. [/FONT]Luke 1:42
*]Holy Mary, when one has been perfectly graced by God, they are Holy
*]Mother of God,(Elizabeth, Mary’s cousin, says to Mary “mother of my Lord” i.e. mother of God, given who Mary has in her womb) [/FONT]Luke 1:43
*][FONT=Comic Sans MS]pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death……Amen [/FONT]
[/LIST](Re: asking Mary to pray for us, we are told throughout the New Testament to pray for one another, to ask one another for prayer. The fact a person is dead in body, does not mean THEY are dead in soul and unable to pray for us. Especially since we see Her in heaven in Rev 12, body and soul crowned as queen) :slight_smile:

as an aside check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg2OQ_iPTv8
I’m sure you know that if the video needs clarification there is a “setting” button on the lower left corner of the youtube screen, to increase clarity

It may be that your answers aren’t fitting his expectations so he doesn’t know how to respond and then changes the subject

And we are asking Our Lord’s Mother to pray for us at the 2 most important times of our life. NOW and at the HOUR of our Death. And we are meditating on the Mysteries of Our Lord’s life while praying. God Bless. memaw

:slight_smile: absolutely

It must be pointed out that Jesus is the central part of the prayer - the hinge point.

Blessed is the fruit of thy womb , “Jesus” and should be said with reverence.

^This.^ I find myself doing it when to press further at a given moment might lead to religious conflict which would - to the best of my discernment at the time - be counterproductive. I find sometimes it’s best to plant little seeds than to overwhelm people, or perhaps be on the defensive about my own Faith. It’s not that I want to be wishy-washy, it’s just realizing the subject has to be approached with care and tact.

But when one prays the rosary they pray the entire life of Jesus. Just a thought to consider.

Actually it’s practically all scripture.

The first half of the Hail Mary prayer is directly from the Bible and obviously the Our Father as well. Then add in the fact that the person meditates on scripture for all of the mysteries except two. So yeah, it’s pretty scriptural.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.