Talking about sin while evangelizing doesn't work

I found Everytime sin is brought up during evangizing people gets very angry and distant and I don’t mean pointing out thier sin directly but it could be as distant as discussing confession of the sadness sin in the world causes me

Of course it doesn’t. Nowadays it’s our culture’s official position that all a man needs is to be merry and enjoy his life. So if you catch a person who is enjoying himself and begin to explain to him that what he is doing is very wrong, that he needs to change himself, to discipline himself, to work on himself and eventually to follow a faith as strict as yours - of course he won’t like it. He’d appreciate it much more if you gave him a rosary that’d make him slim and attractive without any effort and perhaps invited to a church meeting where you’d tell him how cool he is. So alas - I don’t know of any other method of evangelization than with your own everyday example.

The motto of the modern Western world is “if it feels good do it!” Chances are what feels good to most people is sin.

Alot of people don’t yet realize tht their sins are making them unhappy. Even when it’s painfully obvious to everyone else around them. Even if they realize that what they are doing is “technically wrong” that’s only going to be if someone else is doing it. They have a really good justification for doing it. They have a special circumstance. Besides. There’s lot of people who are alot worse than they are! However, there are alot of people who really do want to stop sinning and they might be more open to hearing about it. It’s better to emphasize God’s forgiveness when evangelizing then how much sin offends Him.

Though they may argue this to the death, I’ve can’t say I’ve ever seen a person who is in serious sin who is enjoying himself.

Very true. People get EXTREMELY ANGRY at the mention of the word, even when brought up generally and in a non-accusatory way. I think it’s best to avoid that topic at the beginning of evangelism. If you get far enough with the person to get them reading the Bible this topic could get easier because they will read about it in Scripture. When we’re reading we’re in a more receptive state of mind and it’s non-confrontational. Then, it may spark questions and, hopefully, conversion and repentance.
I think you’re right that people in sin can be in denial. I know sooo many women who’ve had children out of wedlock with no help from the father. They have to work longer hours, be BOTH father and mother to the child and struggle to just survive. Plus they have to live with broken hearts. But they will never admit that their choices were a mistake, let alone a sin.:shrug:

Great Post…:thumbsup: I had to chuckle at the last part because I’ve noted this too… the idea of how people are willing to invest a great deal in diet and exercise but almost nothing in their spiritual lives, and here I’m talking as much about believers as non-believers.

To the more general issue of talking about sin…as you say above, the best witness is our own lives. Removing the log from our own eye is of critical importance.

Additionally - it is really important to recognize that the ancient words in Hebrew and Greek that are translated as “sin” do not simply mean “breaking a rule”. They involve error and being on the wrong path…In other words, things that are spiritually unhealthy.

So - I agree that “hellfire and damnation” evangelization is unlikely to have much good effect. Preaching the hope of Eternal life is far better and showing the hope within us by living holy lives will draw people to holiness.

Finally - to the OP’s comment about people getting angry…This is a response that should be expected. No one wishes to hear (what they perceive to be) negative things. No one likes to have faults pointed out - and (generally) no one really thinks that they are that far off track in the first place.
It takes time - and timing - for these things to take effect…Patience and trust in the Holy Spirit are essential.

Peace
James

In my experience in evangelizing people about sin, I often avoid the word “sin” all together. I approach it as “What you are doing or have done is un-loving.” What is sin except an offense against love? If they protest, I proceed to show them how it is not loving because most of the time people aren’t deliberately sinning they are seeing an apparent good. They see the apparent good and justify it because it appears good. If you can explain how or why a behavior or action is unloving they often will admit it. No one really wants to be un-loving.

Most of the time people are avoiding pain. Discipline often translate to pain, but I have confidence in people’s goodness and their desire to be good, so I encourage them to make long-term fulfillment their goal. It’s like exercise, it is hard at first but with diligence in self-denial it will become second nature and their quality of life will be better in the long run.

Preach the Gospel. Use words if necessary.

Good points. Another way that people avoid or justify bad behavior is by employing a “fairness doctrine”. The change “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” into “do unto others as they have done unto you” - thus leading to acts of vengeance disguised as being “fair”…

It can be very difficult to show people that this only leads to escalating “tit-for-tat” and more and more evil. Whereas - by returning good for ill, the cycle is broken and the enemy is eventually fatally weakened

Peace
James

Yes I often say this too. It is supposed to be ‘if it feels right, do it.’ A lot of food that’s bad for you, tastes great. Sometimes the more plain food is a lot better for you.

I think the key about sin is to let people know there is sin, there is evil, and you should try to stay clear of it, but not to keep telling them they live wrong. As Jesus says, you must look to yourself first [don’t know the quote off by heart but I think you know what one I am talking about]. Live righteously and let this be an example to others. People do not like to be told how to live if they are uncertain that these people live in this way themselves.

=Adamski;10323823]I found Everytime sin is brought up during evangizing people gets very angry and distant and I don’t mean pointing out thier sin directly but it could be as distant as discussing confession of the sadness sin in the world causes me

Then DON"T do it:D

There is one God right?

So ask things like if there IS Only One God [WITH CHARITY AND A BIG SMILE!] ; and God is Perfect; right?

Then how can OUR One God hold different; even contradictory views on the very same issues? GOD can’t.

God being perfect certainly didn’t wait over ONE THOUSAND YEARS to share His Truth.
He didn’t wait for Henry the VII; Luther, Calvin, Smith to reveal what has been made clearly necessary for mans salvation. Jesus shared it with the Apostles and said “GO!!!”

Teach the entire world what I taught toy YOU!

Mark 16:14-20 "At length he appeared to the eleven [APOSTLES] as they were at table: and he upbraided them with their incredulity and hardness of heart, because they did not believe them who had seen him after he was risen again. **And he said to them: Go ye into the whole world, and preach the gospel to every creature. ** **He that believeth and is baptized, shall be saved: but he that believeth not shall be condemned. **And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name they shall cast out devils: they shall speak with new tongues.They shall take up serpents; and if they shall drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them: they shall lay their hands upon the sick, and they shall recover. And the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God. But they going forth preached everywhere: the Lord working withal, and confirming the word with signs that followed.

Matthew 28:16; 18-20 " And the eleven disciples [APOSTLES] went into Galilee, unto the mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world."

We do not argue

We don’t accuse

We only expose; explain, and prove God’s Truth with charity and ALLOW the HS to do the converting:thumbsup: :slight_smile:

God Bless,
pat/PJM

:newidea: Thanks so much for your contribution to this thread, Lady Love. I will definitely employ the term “unloving” as it’s far less incendiary yet still truthful. Very smart suggestion! Thank you also for your thoughts on discipline. You are right in saying that discipline is often thought of as painful-and can be at first- but is so rewarding when it has become a good habit. Several years ago I lost 80 pounds through good old-fashioned diet and exercise. Last year I lost some more weight thanks to Jillian Michaels. Boy are her workouts tough, but are safe and deliver amazing results! I absolutely love Jillian for making me stronger and fitter. She is so aspirational in my life. She’s got me doing things I never thought possible such as military push-ups and one-legged triceps dips! She encourages endurance and the willingness to get uncomfortable. These messages of hers also apply to our faith walk with Christ and are so uplifting. God bless you!:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.