"Talking about Touching" program

Is anyone familiar with this?

I’m not, and trying to learn more. Any insights appreciated. Thanks.:slight_smile:

no the program used in this diocese is Touching Safety, part of the Virtus Child Safety program that includes Protecting God's Children. The lesson plans, and resources for catechists and parents can be viewed on the Virtus website. I don't know who puts out the program you cite, but if your diocese uses it there is most likely a link to the program from their website. Look for a banner such as "what the diocese is doing to protect children" or call the Office of Catechetics for information.

Hmm, what has been said about this?

An MP3 talk on Virtus:
ftp://catholicaudio.us/pub/audionet/Desert_Voice/Virtus

Only listen to this if you want explore both sides of this issue.

[quote="C_S_P_B, post:3, topic:225783"]
Only listen to this if you want explore both sides of this issue.

[/quote]

Ok, I'll bite. Both sides of what issue? Protecting children? If that is what you mean, I'm not interested in exploring both sides.

Peace

Tim

first OP is asking about a specific program which is not Virtus, so the link is useless for his purposes
second, why should I explore "both sides of the issue" with Virtus?
I work for a parish, under the constraints in place by the Diocese. I must as a condition of employment present the full Virtus program. If you want somebody to "explore sides" take your case to those in the diocese who made the decision over 10 years ago to adopt the program.

can we bump OP's question about Talking About Touching? and see if anyone has input? I am not even going to try to google that phrase, heaven knows what I might end up with

Here is a link: Suffer the Children: The Disaster of "Talking About Touching."

[quote="Orogeny, post:4, topic:225783"]
Ok, I'll bite. Both sides of what issue? Protecting children? If that is what you mean, I'm not interested in exploring both sides.
Peace
Tim

[/quote]

Both sides to me, means listening to the controversy. That the good intended is not necessarily the good in fact.

Many things are undertaken for good reasons but unintended consequences not infrequently cause more of the opposite than the intension.

[quote="C_S_P_B, post:7, topic:225783"]
Both sides to me, means listening to the controversy. That the good intended is not necessarily the good in fact.

[/quote]

What controversy? You want to look at both sides of Virtus? You want to look at the other side of child sexual abuse? What are you talking about?

Many things are undertaken for good reasons but unintended consequences not infrequently cause more of the opposite than the intension.

Are we talking about Virtus or something else? Because if we are talking about Virtus, I want to know how that training has caused more child sexual abuse as would have to be the case for your statement to make sense.

Peace

Tim

The program that was mentioned was the "Talking About Touching" program which is quite different than Virtus, and has apparently raised a lot of concern from parents because of inappropriate material.

[quote="JimG, post:9, topic:225783"]
The program that was mentioned was the "Talking About Touching" program which is quite different than Virtus, and has apparently raised a lot of concern from parents because of inappropriate material.

[/quote]

That's why I want a clarification from CSPB. His link indicates it is about Virtus, not "Talking About Touching". I don't know anything about that program, but I do know about Virtus. He needs to explain himself if he referred to Virtus.

Peace

Tim

Our archdiocese has the "Called to Protect" program. I was very impressed with how it taught the children to trust their own intuition and feel free to say "no" to anyone who makes them uncomfortable, whether it be their pastor, their grandparent or another child, yet didn't bring up scenarios that would ruin their innocence. It also encouraged children to think of several different people they could talk to if they had a confusing situation to talk about or something that they wanted to tell but that was difficult to share. There were lots of things like that. The more explicit lessons about how predators think and what sort of opportunites they look for was saved for the adults-only discussions.

I learned that if you teach kids that they don't have to kiss anyone if they don't want to, not even their Aunt Vivian, then you don't have to spell out that they are also free to refuse any of the far more inappropriate things that might be proposed by their Uncle Ralph (:eek:) and to tell someone about their discomfort about the situation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.