Talking to a Medium / psychic

Okay I have another question for you all. Wed. will be my father’s three year death anniversary. He passed away very suddenly in a car accident and very very young. Immediately after his death i had wanted to see a medium about his passing just to see what they would have to say. I was not one to truly believe in those things but i was mainly just curious. Long story short I eventually decided to just hold off because my husband (then boyfriend) was adamantly against it because of his catholic faith. well as the years have passed i have grown stronger in my (now catholic) faith as well. Yesterday my aunt (fathers’ sister) went to see a medium about it and the medium told her some things about my dad that no one cold have known. The medium gave my aunt some messages from my “Dad” to me that once again no one could have known. So I’m struggling with the desire to go again. As I stated before I don’t how I feel about this, as in your not nessicarly talking to someone who is truly in contact with your deceased loved one. Yet how do you explain the information they divulge that they couldn’t possibly know or guess. I also don’t know that I believe this is some ploy of Satan or anything especially when the medium told my aunt that my “Dad” was happy I was catholic. Why would Satan encourage that??? I guess I just want some feed back. Have any of you been in this situation? Have you seen a medium? Why or why would you not see one? In desperate need of opinions!

Lila_ Grace

I believe that there are people on this earth who can see the future. Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing where they get this power - from God or Satan. I’m sure even Satan is smart enough to give someone enough of positive messages, just to “suck them in.”

My husband used to really like Sylvia Browne - watched her on TV, read her books, etc. So I googled her. I showed him her VERY strange religious beliefs (from her own website) and he backed off a little. Then the recent developments where she told the family of the kidnapped boy in Missouri that he was dead when he was of course, alive. He now believes, as I do, that she probably has a very bad vibe, although she means well.

I would steer clear of ALL future-telling! That includes horoscopes, astrology, numerology, tarot, mediums, etc. They’re just too dangerous to the soul!

I really do understand the desire to “talk” to your dad, but just remember that you can “talk” to him anytime you like, by prayer. God will make sure you know everything you really need to know.

God bless!

Trish

No, we aren’t permitted to consult mediums. It doesn’t matter whether they are “true” or “false” – all necromancy is forbidden.

“There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination, a soothsayer, an augerer, or a sorcerer, or a charmer, or a medium, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord …” Deut. 18: 10-12.

The Bible shows an incident where Saul sinned by having a medium conjure the spirit of Samuel (1 Sam 28:8-19) — and even then, the conjured spirit wouldn’t help Saul.

We’re free to talk to the dead, but not to conjure them to appear or communicate with us. That’s the distinction.

Doing so is a sin, possibly mortal, thus cutting you off from grace and a true connection with your loved one: prayer.

Please :gopray: read Fr. Gabe Amorth’s book “An exorcist tells his story.” That’s all I’ll say

No, I wouldn’t go to a medium and you shouldn’t either. You ask why Satan would encourage that, I’ll tell you why–because first of all it helped get your guard down to re-stir your desire to see a medium, and secondly because Catholics who rely on mediums for advice can harm the Catholic Church.

I am sorry about the sudden loss of your father. Both my parents have also passed away, and I know I miss them. I usually have a Mass said for them around their birthdays and anniversaries of their death. I suggest you take the money you might have spent on a psychic and instead donate it to have a Mass said for your father.

Eternal rest grant unto him oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the soul of all the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.

Don’t tempt the devil. He is already enticing you with this info about your Dad. You are human and of course you miss your Dad very much, but this is not the right way.

I do not believe that there are any “okay” mediums. Even those who claim to be Christian…

Please don’t go back. Instead, pray for your father, every day.

I, too, think that some of these “mediums” have information that no one would know. Logically speaking, if God abhors this type of thing, there is only one other place they can get their info, and you don’t want to mess with “him”. The previous poster who said Satan would “encourage” you in order to get your guard down and lure you back was right. Satan does his worst damage to the Church when he looks almost good. There are some religions out there that have huge followings that are close in some respects to Christianity. Islam teaches the virginity of Mary and they revere her. Mormons call themselves Christian.

Pray for your father. If he is in purgatory, he can use the prayer. If he is in heaven, the graces will not be lost. Also, if he is in heaven, he is a saint and you can ask him to pray for you. I ask my son to pray for me and his brothers and sisters every night.

Please, do not go to a medium. That is what the adversary is hoping. With grace and patience, hope for your reunion with your father. He is waiting for you.

People turn to mediums in time of hopelessness and need. Mediums offer people hope and comfort at the expense of a soul. I know you are hurting but seek out the only one who can comfort and heal.

God can offer you far more comfort and peace though He often is the last place people go for help. The last resort.

You don’t know, no one knows, if you were supposed to know you would.

My Parish Priest was asked a similar question by a member of our Parish. The parishioner was convinced that a medium at a Spiritualist Church was in touch with a family member citing the same sort of evidence you have here. Father asked if the parishioner would mind if he and I came along to the next meering (we’re good friends). We went along to the Spiritualist Church and sat at the back praying the rosary together. After about half an hour of trying, the two mediums were utterly dismayed- they said they had never experienced anything like it before- they said they were sorry, but they couldn’t make a connection, something was wrong.

If saying the rosary had that effect on whatever was going on in that place, can it be any good???

Hypothetically, and with all prayers hoping that your father is in heaven, wouldn’t he KNOW that communicating through a psychic would be wrong for your faith? Wouldn’t he know that it would be wrong for him to entice you like that?

A rebuttal might be, “Oh well, obviously Catholicism is incorrect and he doesn’t have to follow those rules.” But my answer to that assumption is, “If Catholicism is wrong, wouldn’t your father (speaking through the medium) have said something about it to the daughter he loves? Wouldn’t he have tried to warn you about following an incorrect faith that would give you anxiety about this?”

Psychics have a very perceptive gift (which they misuse) of being able to make assumptions and inferrences of a person’s personal life by the way their ‘client’ talks, acts, and the way they answer questions. The client can give an immense amount of information without even knowing it. John Edwards (prayers for him) is an incredible example of this. He draws people out and tailors his answers to they way people react to his questions and descriptions.

Please meditate on my first two paragraphs. It shows that what they psychic said about your father just doesn’t make sense.

I’m so sorry for your loss, I will be praying for the grief in your family

I pray that the entire Heavenly court will intercede for you and your father.

Thank you so much for everyones answers and prayers, it means a great deal to me to know there are a bunch of people out there with me and my father in their thoughts and prayers so thank youthank you thank you!!!

In response to your question about my father knowing it would be bad to encourage me …
part of my whole struggling with this issue is I am the only one in both my fathers side and mothers side of the family who is catholic so there is no one in my family who understands or can reenforce my beliefs.My aunt who actually went to the medium was adimatly agianst such a thing after his death. Like i said around the time of his death i was tossing around the idea of seeing one and she was the main person to talk me out of it. She belongs to a non-denominational church thats pretty fundamentalist in teaching.
so i guess i was just in shock when i heard she had gone to one.which made me question my own resolve to not see one.

So I’m still thinking i am not going to go see the medium but do you guys have any other ideas to do instead besides just praying. I kind of feel like at this point simple prayer is feeling like its not enough, aslmost as though i need to do something bigger to meet this spiritual void. Since his death I have grown stronger in my faith in that I have realized catholicism is the TRUTH however i feel a bigger void because its hard for me to comprehend my fathers death and why such an aweful thing would happen to him and to his family. so i guess i’m searching for something to do that will bring me to some sort of peace and the prayer i have been doing so far has yet to do that. sorry this is sooo long :frowning: but your ideas are really appreciated

The 3 things that we’re always encouraged to do are prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. If you want to do more than “just prayer”, how about a bigger commitment to prayer? Perhaps an increase in the time you spend talking to God at night or in the morning. Or you could do a novena. That’s 9 consecutive days of prayer, with prayers to say in the morning, during the day, and at night. Do you say the Rosary? Lent is coming up, you could fast a couple days during Lent (not that fasting can only be done in Lent :stuck_out_tongue: ).
I know it’s hard to talk to someone without having them answer back, but please, don’t go to the medium.
St. Michael, Archangel, pray for us.

I think death is a very difficult thing to grasp. What helps me was a good Catholic Bible study on the book of Genesis. God didn’t originally plan death. He gave the Garden of Eden to Adam and Eve. Death entered the world when Adam and Eve sinned.

There are two different kinds of death–death of the body and death of the soul. Your father’s body died, but we can hope that God has mercy on his soul. Physical death is simply temporary, but death of the soul is eternal. Death of the soul is far worse than death of the body. We believe that at the end of time there will be a physical resurrection of the body. Here is a good section of the catechism to explain that part of the Creed: [/FONT] Just as Jesus died and rose, we have hope of the same for us and our loved ones. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 offers great hope.

Just as death entered the world through the disobedience of one man–Adam, the perfect obedience of One Man-- Jesus restored our hope. Jesus’ Ressurrection shows that God is stronger than death. Keep growing in faith by praying, hoping and trusting in the mercy of God. God is not bound by time, so you can still pray that in his final moments your father died in a state of grace.

As you say you think you need something “bigger” to meet the spiritual void, I strongly recommend have Masses said. Jesus did do something bigger for your father and the rest of us–He died for us. Ask God to apply the grace of Jesus directly to your father’s soul through Massed for him. I don’t think there is anything “bigger” than that.

Read about the Communion of Saints. Your faith teaches that you are still connected to your father. You can still talk to him and tell him how much you love and miss him. The good new is that we believe he hears you. Get everything you can on the Communion of Saints. Read the Catechism. You aren’t going to get anything more from the psychic than you would from understanding about the Communion of Saint. If something seems too good to be true, then it probably isn’t true. To go to the psychic is to believe that you know better than God what is good for you. You will have to trust him. Whenever I’ve seen Sylvia Brown I just can’t believe anyone could trust what she is saying, I am from the “Show-me” state so skepticism runs high. I too lost someone suddenly and would have given my right foot to have contact with him, but not against what God teaches.

Wow, this is a powerful show of how a truely good priest protects his flock!

I read The Silver Chair, by C.S. Lewis resently to my children and this exchange between some of the characters reminded me of the Communion of Saints.

“But,” said Eustace, looking at Aslan. “Hasn’t he–er–died?”

“Yes,” siad the Lion in a very quiet voice, almost (Jill thought) as if he were laughing. “He has died. Most people have, you know. Even I have. There are very few who haven’t.”

“Oh,” said Caspian. “I see what’s bothering you. You think I’m a ghost, or some nonsense. But don’t you see? I would be that if I appeared in Narnia now; because I don’t belong there any more. But one can’t be a ghost is one’s own country. I might be a ghost if I got into your world. I don’t know. But I suppose it isn’t yours either, now you’re here.”

Lila_grace, when we speak to the Communion of Saints, we are not speaking to the dead but to the living. We enter into life in Jesus we stand at a heavenly place here on earth and can speak to those who have gone before us. Place your hope in Jesus, who is the God of the Living. But don’t expect to hear a response back, because those who have gone before us don’t belong to this world any longer. While they can pray for us and interceed on our behalf, and whie we can pray for those in Purgatory God rarely allows us to hear their voices.

Lila, your father belongs somewhere else now. Your aunt’s effort to contact him through a medium is false and dangerous substitute for the Communion of Saint, which is not contract with the dead but with those are alive in Christ.

Ok I feel the need to respond because I was in a similair situation. My Dad died when I was 19 and he was my whole life. I went away to college that year completely devestated. I sought out ways to communicate with him. It started innocent enough, just praying to him (not to God) to talk to me. Then I dated a Wiccan who tryied to help me, got me into tarrot cards and eventually I ended up at a graveyard talking with spirits who claimed they had info on my dad and that he needed my help and I should jon him. Things started happening that were scary and wierd. This was at a Catholic college so I went to priests for help and they did help me, it hadn’t gotten to the point where I was in too much danger but it was progressing fast. I got away from those temptations and found the real Abba or Father that could never leave me. I know you greive and are tempted. And people will say that it gets easier, it doesn’t! you just learn to cope better. I loved my dad more than anything, maybe that was the problem. I still miss him terribly and I am still (for lack of a better word) haunted by his memory and the hole that he left when he died. But there I was at a Catholic school, and the anwer was right in front of me, I just couldnt see it because of the grief. I will pray that you are strong but most of all that you are comforted.

Hello. I found this thread because I was googling this very same question. I am Orthodox, and I lost my father suddenly, just like you, about 8 years ago. I became very intrigued when MY aunt told me about a second cousin we have that is a medium. She had visited her and had given me a message from my father, just like you. Actually, our stories are eerily similar here. I asked my priest at church about it, and he told me not to listen to any medium because it says in the Bible that the spirits of our loves ones would not leave Heaven to come talk to us, and so anybody who even pretends to be our deceased loved one is a bad energy, spirit, or the Devil. I took his word on this, but then my aunt told me that this cousin of ours is able to channel our Spirit Guides, those spirits that are always with us. I became intrigued by the notion of being able to get guidance about my life. I called her. I just want to say that the whole time I had a very unsteady and nervous feeling about it, and my intuition was telling me it was wrong. I felt very strange when she “channeled” my Spirit Guides…and at the end of that session, sure enough, she told me there was a loved one who wanted to come through …my father. I did speak with him. I didn’t even know what to say. I was shocked. The way I knew it was not fake was by his laugh… I remember his laugh the most of anything and he laughed in the same way he used to while on the phone. I will just say that he reassured me of his journey there and that he is ok. I just didn’t feel right during or after it happened. I felt very weird and detached after it was over. I am afraid that what the “guides” said, though they were all positive messages, might mislead me if I follow the advice. It was really weird, I felt extremely drained after the session (it was on the phone). I immediately just went to rest on my bed and fell into this weird deep sleep. I never do that. When I woke up I just felt something was off and my perception is different. Hopefully I will feel better in the morning… but I am going to say my prayers for God to forgive me if what I did was wrong. We should not trust in anybody except God himself. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I also do not feel satisfied with what my father said to me…Although it is painful to have lost him at such a young age (he was 48 and died suddenly of a heart attack when I was 18), it happened according to God’s will and God’s plan. Who am I to question that? Also, if I wasn’t supposed to communicate with him, I shouldn’t find outside means to do it. All he really told me is that everything is alright. Also…Everyone is right in saying that you can communicate via prayer. Just make sure you also “meditate” or give yourself quiet time to be able to perceive the answer, which will be there. You already KNOW what your father would say in response to your questions. Just look inside yourself. I thought the medium would be just a shortcut in being able to introspect, meditate, and open up enough to intuit the answers to prayers, but I don’t believe it is a good thing. When you meditate, you ready yourself for the answer. If someone does it for you, it just isn’t natural. I feel bad that I spoke to her. I am afraid that I did something wrong, especially based on my feeling now. Because of the anticlimactic nature of my visit with the medium, and the weird/bad feeling I’m having I ADVISE YOU NOT TO DO IT. Just don’t. Life is a journey. It’s about the experience…Everything you are supposed to know will be revealed to you.

I hope this helps you. To reiterate: I did it just now, and I don’t recommend it. Just pray. Your Father is with you.

God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.