Talking with Atheist , need help , States God is an Abstraction

****here is a post from a person I was talking too and I am not sure how to reply to the God is an abstraction statement!

thanks in advance for the help****

But God is an abstraction, and as subjective of a concept as any other. He represents good and connectivity, among other things, but the books that you read were envisioned, created and perpetuated by human beings who lived in a point in time when anything unexplainable was either attributed to dark arts, magic, or religious underpinnings.

Saying that something came from God is saying that you have no actual idea of where it came from.

I believe in minimizing human suffering, maximizing human benefit, and that collective human good is non-zero-sum; that is, people doing more good does not mean that others will create an equal balance of negativity. You are right in that morals are subjective, but to say that religiously guided morality is not subjective is misguided.

There are people all around the world convinced that the religion that they were raised with is the one and only religion that is valid. Somehow, people all over the world managed to establish similar moral cues within their religious teachings. Somehow, we see monotheistic, polytheistic, and daoist teachings overlapping in content. Could it be that humans do have innate morals, collectively, that guide us to surviving to this point and onward?

[quote="mab23, post:1, topic:324949"]
****here is a post from a person I was talking too and I am not sure how to reply to the God is an abstraction statement!

thanks in advance for the help****

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don't have time for a detailed response, but it's interesting to note that C.S. Lewis was once an atheist who asked himself the exact same question that the person you mentioned did. In contemplating this question, C.S. Lewis demonstrated that a universal morality did, indeed, exist, and that its source cannot be innate to humans. In light of this (and other things) Lewis converted to Christianity. He recaps and details all this in the first part of his book, Mere Christianity, which I recommend that you read for a fuller response to your tread topic.

Gratia vobis et pax multiplicetur,
Fr. Eric
Diocese of Savannah

Thanks eric that helps, i will move this thread out of scripture into apologetics because I did not mean to put it here so mods feel free to move it

All atheism is an (however slow or subtle) ACT OF WAR!!!

The good news is. . .

there are no atheists in foxholes (in war). ; )

C A V E A T 1: Go to war first BEFORE arguing. I've personally seen it cure Wiccan.

C A V E A T 2: Don't argue the Wiccan comment, I don't care.

God is a personal being to encounter.
Abstraction is how we try to rationally understand, describe, define, etc the person of that encounter.

If there is no encounter, then all one has is empty abstraction.

[quote="Least, post:4, topic:324949"]
All atheism is an (however slow or subtle) ACT OF WAR!!!

The good news is. . .

there are no atheists in foxholes (in war). ; )

C A V E A T 1: Go to war first BEFORE arguing. I've personally seen it cure Wiccan.

C A V E A T 2: Don't argue the Wiccan comment, I don't care.

[/quote]

militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/

Please don't denigrate our military servicemen.

I think that the over all struggle between Good and evil through out the ages is proof. Why do some people try to do good and some try to do bad. Unless there is an epic struggle and God was on the side of his children. Evil would completely rule the world. Also throughout the world most people have a belief in something more. Seems to me we are programed as humans to think there is more than this life. It is Gods way of drawing us to him I think. We as humans are not usually satisfied. Always wanting more. Like there is a void we cant fill. I have found though my journey that for me I tried to fill the emptiness in my soul with many things. Nothing ever seemed to do the trick. Then started following God his Son Jesus and his Church. I don't feel empty any more. Glory Be to the Father Son and Holy Spirit.

Please don't venerate something that, by definition, needs no other affirmation.

AND,

Don't promote MAAF like it's not an extremely minor minority.

You don't have to be shot at to have a foxhole conversion.

A "good day" in war is sometimes just one in which you receive Communion outside, and they actually had stuff to sit on that supported your battle-rattle/body armor/weapon/a_ _.

Please don't venerate something that, by definition, needs no other affirmation.

AND,

Don't promote MAAF like it's not an extremely minor minority.

You don't have to be shot at to have a foxhole conversion.

A "good day" in war is sometimes just one in which you receive Communion outside, and they actually had stuff to sit on that supported your battle-rattle/body armor/weapon/a_ _.

Continuing with my previous post, I think ALL atheists ought to praise GOD simply because he has allowed them the grace/peace/will to choose otherwise, and the blessing of not having to seek him (late) due to some abrupt calamity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.