Tanning industry blames 10,000 salon closings on 'Obamacare'

Tanning salon owners say they are getting burned by ‘Obamacare’ tax.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — The tanning salon industry is feeling burned by “Obamacare.”

Business owners around the country say the little-noticed 10 percent tax on tanning in President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul has crippled the industry, forcing the closing of nearly 10,000 of the more than 18,000 tanning salons in the U.S.

Experts say the industry is overstating the effects of the “tan tax” and that it has been hurt by other factors, too, including public health warnings about the dangers of tanning and the passage of laws in dozens of states restricting the use of tanning salons by minors.

Nevertheless, some salon owners say the health care overhaul will be on their minds on Election Day. Republicans have vowed to repeal “Obamacare” if they win the presidency and retain control of Congress.

apne.ws/2bC4bwO

The melanoma might also have something to do with it

Good luck to the tanning industry and the cigarette companies.

tanning companies in FL…?? LOL Im surprised they have ANY business to begin with.

Yeah. At least we know more than we used to so people can beware and stay away. :shrug:

WAAAHH! My heart bleeds.
The tobacco companies managed to fight off regulations and taxes for decades. Tanning is a cancer risk. I suspect they are being “hurt” worse by state laws raising the minimum age to 18.

Uh, in regards to the tobacco companies, you should look at their recent yearly profits…they are doing GREAT, although this really does not make sense.

Look at the prices! It’s like $10.00 or more for a pack of cigarettes, whereas it used to be far cheaper; this alone should discourage people from buying them, and it is paired with the research and knowledge we now possess about what cigarettes really do to people’s bodies.

That they’ve managed to stay afloat is pretty crazy. :eek:

Don’t forget the overseas sales.

A lot of tanning places seem to also have that spray on tan as an option. Those tans tend to look orangey though. I had one done years ago as a gift. I hated it.

The cost depends on the brand and where you buy it. If a pack of cigarettes costs $10 somewhere, most of that is taxes. In my state, even the most expensive brands cost less than $5.00, and some are about half that.

Probably a thriving black market in that $10/pack area.

It’s hard to have much sympathy for those companies or the tanning business, either one. But if the latter have been forced to close in some places, it’s really just a symptom of something else. Tanning beds had a special tax imposed on them by Obamacare in addition to the additional “tax” of complying with Obamacare itself. So they got hit harder.

But all small businesses got hit too, as well as the elderly and those in the mid-to-upper brackets of the middle class. When the government picks winners and losers, it usually has an effect on both, like the big banks’ thriving nowadays and the coal companies filing bankruptcy.

You are not kidding about state cigarette taxes being low in Missouri. You have the lowest in the nation. Here is a chart of state tobacco taxes.

tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0097.pdf

Note that Indiana is nearly a dollar per pack less than Illinois. For years entrepreneurs from the south side of Chicago have been making the short drive to Indiana and filling their car trunks with bootleg tobacco to sell in their neighborhoods. The sales tax is also lower in Indiana, so even people who don’t smoke tend to shop for all kinds of things and pay for the trip with the tax savings on a few cartons of cigarettes. Enforcement efforts vary, but it does show that if you raise taxes too much, you create a black market.

As far as tanning is concerned, I am waiting for the administration to author a tax on sunshine. It contributes to global warming. Floridians would pay a lot, and Northern Indiana would pay very little.

It’s kind of interesting. Notwithstanding that far and away most Missourians don’t smoke, raising taxes on cigarettes never passes with the voters. Any tax increase in Missouri has to be passed by the voters. I guess we’re just tax averse, generally.

Also of possible interest, local taxes often do pass. But they have to be specifically targeted to something the public wants. School tax increases almost always pass. TIFF taxes for infrastructure improvements usually do. Statewide tax increases of any kind almost never do. Subsidiarity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.