Tantum Ergo help

I’m sorry if this is in the wrong place but I need some help with the translation of this. I’m seeing mixed results in the English form and it’s confusing me. I want to know what is being said when it is sung in Latin. Can someone tell me if this video on youtube of it is completely wrong on the English translation? youtube.com/watch?v=yYxyiUB1L0s

My Magnificat book shows something completely different in English…

This video features a literal translation, your Magnificat would be using a poetic translation.

There is no one authorized translation of the Tantum Ego and O Salutaris Hostia. These have always varied, being non-liturgical. In order to preserve the meter and rhyme of the original Latin in the English versions, great poetic license must be taken. That is why you see such variations in translation. The same may be said of the Stabat Mater when sung during stations of the cross.

My Latin is rusty, but the video is the correct translation.

ICEL 1974 “International Committee on English and the Liturgy, Inc” probably came up with the English translation you may have.
I don’t have a clue why they did not translate from the Latin as written.

At my Novus Ordo parish, we still sing the Tantum Ergo in Latin for Benediction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.