Tarot Cards?

Is it a sin to have readings done by a friend who uses tarot Cards just for fun? I feel like it is somewhat divination but it isn’t on the same scale as ouija boards right? I’m not really taking it to seriously even though what she says about my past is incredibly accurate to a point I keep asking her to tell me more about my future etc and how to better myself. Am I taking part in a sin? I need to know because I admit I do feel somewhat guilty.

Have nothing to do with Tarot. Nothing. Full stop.
Not worth any alleged “fun” you may think you are having.

Please stay away from tarot.

Please. Evil is there.

Caution! A doorway, a portal to the occult. Demons wait. They are already active. Listen to Fr. Gary Thomas, exorcist, the subject of the movie “The Rite”: youtube.com/watch?v=DIKxf-RYzP0

I echo what others have said. This kind of activity is very dangerous spiritually and could open the door to demonic activity in your life. Immediately cut ties with the tarot reader and make a good confession.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

PM me if you have further questions.

-Fr ACEGC

Any divination more serious than “He loves me… He loves me not” should be avoided.

On the other hand, tarocchi is a standard European card game that predates the divination junk. So there is one permissible use of Tarot cards. :slight_smile:

As for “accuracy,” that is probably a combination of vagueness being remembered only when it hits, your interested participation, your friend’s familiarity with you, and “cold reading.” It is a trick that works on both people involved, a system of delusion.

But if you invite bad occult stuff, there is always a chance that you’ll get that too. Obviously that would expose your friend to danger as well as yourself.

Make your own future. If you want to better yourself, learn skills. You know what to do.

To put it simply, stay away from anything related to divinization. Even if you think of it as only a game. So tarot cards are a no-no.

My older sister as far as I know is my only sibling that is baptized and I was there at her baptism which took place at my parish church. I also live with my sister and I caught her using tarot cards and I called her out on it and I told her that she doesn’t need to be doing that and that’s how you get demons and I’m going to give you the same warning.

During my long years away from the Church, I dabbled in many different practices, and joined my friends in the same.

When the cards, or runes, or chicken bones, or whatever becomes more and more accurate, that’s when it actually gets dangerous.

Even though I was actively rejecting the Church at the time, I remember knowing it was time to stop and leave when my friend randomly pulled stones out of a bag – each stone had a rune on it – and the two or three stones she pulled out sent an absolutely clear message of what we were to do, and I KNEW that the message was something I absolutely did NOT want to do.

Sure, it could have been coincidence. But even if it were, I still had a choice to make in that moment – do what the runes were clearly telling us to do, or choose what I believed in my heart to be the right thing to do. I credit the mark left on me in baptism and the relentless beating of my guardian angel for making the right choice in that moment.

Ironically, there is a line in one of the Harry Potter books that gives pretty good guidance on this:

“Ginny!" said Mr. Weasley, flabbergasted. "Haven’t I taught you anything? What have I always told you? Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain?

When your divination source seems to be thinking for itself and getting things right all the time, it’s time to dump the thing and RUN to confession.

Pax et Bonum! Tarot Cards are still part of the Occult and the devil likes to “make it seem like fun” so he can get in there. Avoid it altogether and going to confession will be rid of it entirely. Keep some holy water around and perhaps you and your friend can watch some good movies about Saints’ lives… GOD BLESS YOU! angeltime:signofcross:

Evil. Ties in with black magic and Satan is behind it!

Tarrot cards are a form of divination.

This is what the Bible says about divination

“There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,”

(Deuteronomy 18:10)

They have seen vanity and lying divination, saying, The LORD saith: and the LORD hath not sent them: and they have made others to hope that they would confirm the word.

(Ezekiel 13:6)

See also 1 Samuel 28, in which Saul makes the mistake of consulting with the Witch of Endor and cursed by God for his actions.

Divination is a sin and also puts you in great danger. Just avoid it. No ifs, no buts.

All divination is a sin, and it can invite demons into your life. Just don’t do it.

I don’t know where you friend is getting that knowledge, but it’s not from anywhere good.

Yes,
catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=8760

The Holy Spirit is placing you under arrest. Put your hands behind your head and step away from the tarot cards. That is all I have to say. Back away quickly, not slowly.

I’ve dabbled in those things non-seriously, and I’m not going to say they opened this door or that door to demons, because I didn’t get heavily into them. But they are evil, and any answers you receive would be lies from demons that will cause you to despair or follow the wrong path and turn away from God. Same with horoscopes. None of that trash is any good. Pray the Rosary instead. Pray novenas, pray the Chaplet, or just pray vanilla prayers.

Tarot cards are not just harmless fun, they are very dangerous and are satanic in essence. I speak as someone who was involved in the occult for many years and used to read Tarot cards. Steer well clear of them and if you have any packs in your possession throw them in the bin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.