Tater tot casserole recipe

Does anyone have a good recipe for this dish, tater tot casserole? I wanted to give it a try. God Bless

Brown a pound of sausage with some onions and peppers (they are optional if you have “I hate onions and peppers” people). Drain.

In a bowl, mix

1 dozen eggs
1 can cream of mushroom soup
the Sausage
1 pkg tater tots (thawed)

Pour into a greased casserole dish

Top with shredded cheese.

Cover with foil

Bake in a med oven until set. (take the foil off for the last 5 minutes or so for the cheese)

This is from my family’s recipe book, my wife’s grandmother.

1lb ground beef
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 cups Trozen Tater Tots
1/2 cup chopped onions

Preheat oven to 400. Grease 9x13 pan. In a large skillet cook beef and onions until gray. Drain fat. Lightly salt and pepper. Stir in can of soup, then pour into greased dish. Top with a single layer of tots. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until bubbly.

My wife also adds minced garlic to the meat and tops the tots the with shredded cheddar.

Awesome…I never knew this dish existed but it looks like something my husband would just love! Thanks for introducing this idea :slight_smile:

I am doing the cooking tonight and seems like a dish that can last for a dinner tonight and tomorrow. With a new baby in the house that is key.

Here is the Duggar receipe…it makes a lot…
TATER TOT CASSEROLE
2 lb ground turkey cooked, seasoned, drained
3 2lb bags tater tots
2 cans cream of mushroom
2 cans evaporated milk
2 cans cream of chicken
Brown meat & place in large cass. dish.
Cover with tater tots. Mix soup & milk together.
Pour over top. Bake at 350 for 1 Hour.
(One of Daddy’s Favorites!) Makes 2- 9”X13” pans

This is another good one…I think it would be good for Fridays

HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
1 (32 oz.) pkg. frozen hash browns (2 lbs.)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. milk
2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. pepper
2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/4 c. melted butter
3 c. cornflakes, crush cornflakes in Ziploc™ bag, pour
melted butter in & shake.
Spray casserole dish with oil. Layer 1/2 hash brown first. Then pour 1/2 of soup mixture = cream of chicken, milk, onion powder, salt, & pepper. Then half of the grated cheese. Repeat… Hash browns, soup mixture, grated cheese. Top with crushed, buttered corn flakes. Bake at 350 for 45 min. (Jana’s favorite meal!)

I just noticed the chicken soup…perhaps mushroom soup could be substituted :hmmm:

Hmm, my recipe is:

1 lb ground beef (the leaner the better), browned w/garlic, Adolphs and a little salt (all to taste)
1 lb. package frozen french cut green beans
1 can cream of soup (your choice, cheddar cheese one is really good but mushroom or chicken will work too)

Mix all the above in a cake pan.

Top with a single layer of Tater Tots, bake in a 350 oven for 35 minutes or until tater tots start to brown.

You may add a small chopped onion to the ground beef.

Because I can not eat gluten I make my own cream sauce.

Brenda V.

I have used this recipe. I love it. The only difference is I cook mine for an hour at 300.

These are all mouth watering-ly tasty sounding. I use www.allrecipes.com for tons of recipes.
It’s easy to use and you can start a “recipe box” to save your favorites for FREE!!

Good Luck,
Paul

I use sour cream and mushroom soup for my tater tot casserole…

1- 8oz container of sour cream
2 cans cream of mushroom
diced (or dried minced) onion
2 lbs ground turkey
Tater Tots to cover

brown turkey. Add soup, sour cream, onion and maybe some pepper if you wish) stir and pour into pan. Cover with tatert ots and bake at 350 for 45 min.

I always cook extra tater tots on the side for my hungry munchkins :smiley:

Wow, who would have guessed there was such a variety of recipes for tater tot hotdish/casserole? I notice none really have any veggies in them except mine so when you all make this do you have a veggie on the side? Just so you know, I don’t count onions, bell peppers or mushrooms as veggies because these are usually more of a flavoring and are not enough to have a full serving per person in them.

You could easily add green beans to any of the recipes and then your hotdish will be a complete meal!

Brenda V.

This thread is making me hungry.

I’ve never tried tater tot casserole. DH won’t eat casseroles or anything with a creamy sauce to it. Stinks.

I suppose I could make it for me and the kids, though. There’s canned chili in the cupboard, DH. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh my goodness! I haven’t visited the ‘family life’ section in ages and then I came across this today (my first time on here in a LONG time) and it’s what we ARE having for dinner tonight (yes, this same recipe, Jim Bob’s fave! :wink: Crazy! My family loves it!! Great Fall dish! :thumbsup:**

Hi Mama :wave: (yes, I’m cheating on Turn off TV week. Bridget’s home sick today, and can’t play, so there’s really nothing else she can do except watch t.v.). I’ve been making my way back to CAF, too. Haven’t been to LCT, though.

In Christ,

Ellen

Okay, so how many of us will be having Tater Tot hotdish tonight! I am making it now, Mamacita said she was, anyone else?

Brenda V.

I’m actually craving it now, but, unfortunately, I lost all my willpower about 30 minutes ago and ate a very rich chocolate cupcake (left over from son’s birthday). I only had 13 Weight Watchers points left, so that was my “dinner”. It might be on tomorrow’s menu, though. :smiley:

In Christ,

Ellen

Ugh, :eek: who knew there were so many ways to ruin a tator tot :wink:
(I don’t like hotdish much and I live in the land of hot dish, esp the tator tot variety–we avoid it, a lot) :smiley:

**Brenda,
I make the Duggar one, and it’s always good. However tonight I realized that the recipe when I make it I use 1 Lb ground turkey (since I do only one 9 x 13 dish). The one lb of meat doesn’t seem like enough in my opinion, the bottom of the dish isn’t completely covered. So to anyone that makes the Duggar one, I’d do 1.5-2 Lbs ground turkey and maybe do half of the tator tots, seems like too much potato on top. :shrug: Just my thoughts. :wink: It’s so simple to make and the kids always love it too!

Enjoy your dinner, Brenda! :slight_smile:

To whoever asked about veggies, I just do a corn, green beans, or steamed broccoli, whatever fits our tastes for the day. :thumbsup:**

You might be able to get away with our family’s version, because it thickens up really well, so it’s not “saucy” like alfredo sauce would be. It’s based on the Duggars’ recipe, with a couple changes: beef instead of turkey (yuck!), and cream of mushroom soup only because of that.

TATER TOT CASSEROLE
1 lb ground beef cooked, seasoned, drained
3 lb tater tots
2 cans cream of mushroom
1 cans evaporated milk

Brown meat & place in large cass. dish.
Cover with tater tots. Mix soup & milk together.
Pour over top. Bake at 350 for 1 Hour.

Once it’s done, you can scoop it out into a large bowl and mush it all up together to form something like sloppy joes, that way there’s no “sauce” appearance at all.

It’s delish! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.