Tattoo Question

I’m not allowed to post images yet, but I wanted to know if a tattoo I’m going to get would be morally wrong. It’s a Crucifix on top, and below it is a Polish Eagle. They are not connected but close together. My gut feeling is its not wrong, but just would like some input.

Thanks !

I don’t see how it would be wrong. It’s your skin.

ICXC NIKA

Sounds fine to me. Now get ready for a bunch of people who think they know better then The Catechism telling you that you should not get a tattoo at all just because they do not like them :thumbsup:

I don’t personally like tattoos (just an opinion) but I don’t think the Church has any prohibitions on it. Go ahead and get it, if you’d like.

Thanks guys!

So here’s an image of the design. What do you guys think? Anything wrong with having that?

Most intelligent people over 30 regret the tattoos they got when they were younger, unless they are stuck in a subculture that reveres that sort of thing like MS13, Hell’s Angels, etc.

Hmmm… I would like your source that most intelligent people over 30 regret getting tattoos when they were younger. I have never gotten a tattoo btw and I am 31. I guess I have commitment problems.

And yeah, I know a lot of folks who are deep in the gang subculture and the tattoos show it.

It looks ok to me, but remember, once you get it, it’s there for good. :cool:

That is pretty nice. Too showy for me to ever consider for myself, but nice artwork.

I have several tats and most people who have several will always have a doubt about one or two of theirs!

it’s an attractive image, yes.
But IMHO, you life would better exemplify your Christianity if you simply lived it out, not advertised on your skin.
But that’s just me. I’ve never seen a tattoo after a few years that didn’t looks extremely unattractive, no matter the subject matter.

I don’t think God makes mistakes when it comes to how we look. I wonder why we as people are always so dissatisfied with our appearance? :hmmm:

it appears you’re bent on doing it.
Good luck!

I hope the tattoo artist is good enough to do that design properly. I like it a lot. I assume you want to demonstrate both your allegiance to your country and your faith?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, I didn’t really ask for that type of opinion at all, but thank you anyway for your input I guess.

I assume with your username that you’re a female. Do you ever wear makeup or wear nail polish? I would then ask you why? God made you the way you were without any of those things.

Not looking for a debate. I’m 30 years well, well educated, and I would say intelligent. I’m not getting this tattoo to show off how Christian I am. I have my own personal reasons for getting it, which aren’t relevant to the question I’ve asked.

Annnnyway…thank you everyone for your input

I said it was a pretty picture.
:shrug:

Nobody questioned your intelligence. :rolleyes:

Again, good luck.

Please consider the following before getting a tattoo:

1. “You are not to gash your bodies when someone dies, and you are not to tattoo yourselves. I am the LORD.” [Leviticus 19:28]

2. “Your body, you know, is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you since you received him from God. You are not your own property; you have been bought and paid for. That is why you should use your body for the glory of God.” [1 Corinthians 6:19–20]

3. Fr. Robert Altier’s Examination of Conscience lists “Excessive tattoos” as a mortal sin.

It also says a lot of things in Leviticus that do not apply to us today. My understanding is that tattoos fall under Mosaic law. I’ve talked to multiple priests who’ve said a tattoo is fine, but thank you for the input.

While I would never be tattooed because a) I hate needles and b) I like my natural skin, the thread is about your skin so go ahead.

This is an issue where everybody has a solid opinion, but yours is the only one that matters.

ICXC NIKA

Are there such things as temporary tattoos that can be removed or washed out after a couple of weeks?

Maybe this is the compromise.

That’s gorgeous! My cousin has a Polish eagle on his back. Is that the placement that you had in mind?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.