Tattoo vs. Earrings

If a guy has an earring or a nose ring or lip ring is that anymore socially acceptable to any of you rather than a tattoo?

Comments...

I wouldn't find either particularly attractive.

[quote="canadianguy1143, post:1, topic:225242"]
If a guy has an earring or a nose ring or lip ring is that anymore socially acceptable to any of you rather than a tattoo?

Comments...

[/quote]

An earring - one, in one ear, is acceptable and I actually find it attractive. I have two in one ear and three in the other, but I think that's going too far for a guy. No nose ring or lip ring. I wouldn't kiss a guy with a nose ring or lip ring if you paid me $100. I might do it for $1,000 but all I would be thinking about is how gross it would be and how nice it will be to receive that money. Small tattoos that don't show are OK, although I would prefer that a person I was seeing wouldn't have one, especially if it has the name of a former girlfriend or wife in it.

So - IMHO a small earring (like a small gold hoop or a diamond or something like that is fine.

The other stuff? :eek: Yuck.

Oh, and just in case others don't know - I'm a woman. :D

I don’t think any type of earring, nose ring, lip ring, eyebrow ring, or pierced nipple-(my brother) is ok for a guy or a girl really (unless it’s one little earring in the regular spot in each ear for a girl). Personally Tattoos may seem “fun” and “cool” when people are young but the general thought in my mind for male or female is when you are 85 and in a nursing home on a hot day is your tattoo going to still be “fun” and “cool” with your sagging aged skin and with faded ink? :eek:

Skip both in my opinion but that’s my opinion…

I’m a woman too… :smiley:

Well, can there be a third option: "both are fine"?

As a guy with a tattoo I really see no problem with them. As far as piercings go, I've seen guys really pull them off, and it doesn't look tacky.

I agree with Little Soldier. More than one pierced ear on a guy just looks strange to me...

Too bad I couldn't get my eyebrow pierced like I wanted, I would unconsciously play with it and that wold be bad :p

[quote="LittleSoldier, post:3, topic:225242"]
Oh, and just in case others don't know - I'm a woman. :D

[/quote]

Whew! Thanks for clearing that up. I was starting to get a little queasy.

I'd go with neither. But as someone who had both, I'd probably say get a piercing over a tattoo if you're going to do one or the other because it's much easier to remove. I was easily able to remove the many piercings I got during my rebellious college days. The tattoos are still there despite around a thousand dollars of removal trips (and those laser's hurt! More than getting the tattoo in my opinion). Yup, someday I hope I'll get them all removed, (which is going to cost a lot). Maybe I'll keep one tiny one as a reminder of how stupid I was. Then again it would be nice to have them all gone.

I don’t find piercings attractive on men.

A tattoo would depend on what and where.

Where is the option for both being acceptable?

I don't find earrings particularly attractive on men, but I think some suit some people better than others.

There's nothing wrong with tattoos. The only thing unacceptable about tattoos is the stereotype people place on people who have them. The only problem is whether its an attractive tattoo or not, and where it is. My boyfriend has a large tattoo and I love it, I myself have several. My mother's side of the family have about 20 tattoos between them.

It takes an artist to ink out art on skin (Kat Von D) . Few tatoo shops employ artists. That being said, aging skin and the properties of ink on skin, will turn any art into sagging blobs of blue - pterodcactyl “butterflies”.

Men wearing earrings - gay.

Men wearing metal objects anywhere on their faces - gay.

Everytime I see a guy wearing metal on his face, it reminds me of Clint Eastwood / Gunny Highway ripping the earring out of Corp. “Stitch” Jones’ ear on Heartbreak Ridge. His ear needed a stitch and a Band Aid.

Woman here:

Depends on the tats and the rings AND the guy.

I've seen them look very attractive... and I've seen them look creepy.

So, (for me), if a guy was really thin and then added all this, he starts looking like a drug user... not appealing

If he has a biker look... not appealing

Well, basically, if he's otherwise attractive, I probably would be fine with it. And then again, it depends. I don't like a person to look like they've been graffittied. And I realize there are people who LOVE that... to each his own as we know...

Just to add here - people with tattoos are well aware that they’re still going to be there when they’re old, I certainly am. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I don’t know if you’ve noticed but it’s not just the tattoo that will age when you’e 85! How many 85 year olds have you seen who looked hot and cool apart from that “ugly” tattoo which is faded?

Sorry, but - news flash! - your entire body ages as well as your tattoo. I doubt you considor the aging process a negative thing, so why considor your tattoo getting older a negative thing? Each of my tattoos represents a milestone in my life and when I’m old, and my skin is sagging and I am loosing my teeth, I’m not going to think that I look disgusting and uncool just because my tattoos are faded - I’ll think that yes, I’m old and tattooed - but I won’t be ashamed of my old faded skin or white hair anymore than I’ll be ashamed of the aged decorations on my skin, whether they be old scars or beautiful tattoos. Because they show that the nursing home workers that I was young once, that I did have a life, and that I had a rebellious side. :stuck_out_tongue:

No tattoos on this guy. Lots of earrings, in both ears, though.

I guess this is a matter of individual choice. I do not see a moral dimension, or a window to sexual preference.

I used to have piercings in various parts of my body. When I returned to the Church in 2000, I was homeless, and there was one fellow who liked to preach to me that I wasn’t really saved if I wasn’t baptized by the Holy Spirit in a charismatic event. He also liked to tell me that I was held by “the spirit of self-mutilation.” He wanted very badly that I would get rid of the piercings. I resisted him because, well basically I thought he was full of **** for everything. But deep down I was hearing him correctly and I began to feel like those piercings weren’t really a part of who I was anymore. Then, a few years later, my parish priest made a homily about piercings and how they were undesirable. He was very gentle about it and did not force his will on us, but I heard him loud and clear, and the next day I removed all my piercings. I still have little dents in my nostrils and sometimes I miss the adornment, but I am very happy I took them out, because I had truly healed from the experiences that drove me to hurt myself like that. And I’m relieved that I never got a tattoo, because those are much harder/impossible to reverse.

I do not think either tatoos or earrings are disirable, just my opinion. Women with one or two pearcings in their ears are ok, but women overdo with earrings. I do not feel 5 earrings on each ear is desirable.

1 Corinthians 6
17 But whoever is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.
18 Avoid immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the immoral person sins against his own body.
19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
20 For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body.

I don't think tattoos or earings are attractive on men at all. I think earings are worse, though. It's just so feminine. Having one on a specific side is also supposed to signal that the man is gay, and because I can never remember which one whenenver I see a man with an earing it always ends up looking gay to me. :shrug:

Either is fine but my own preference is less is more in either instance. Tattoo "sleeves" are especially unappealing to me. And those those plug like earrings that make big holes in the ear lobes just gross me out.

I grew up in the decades when guys only had one ear pierced so the both ears especially matching earrings seems feminine to me.

I think that either one would be acceptable, depending on the guy and the location. (I’m a woman, by the way.)

Personally, I think that earrings look attractive on some guys. Not when they stretch out the earlobe so it’s got a hole in it, though. And I don’t like guys having earrings all the way up their ears, either. Just one set is fine.

As for tattoos, it would depend on the size and location of the tattoo. I don’t like when people fill up their whole arm or back with some huge tattoo, for example.

I think this is mostly just a matter of personal preference. I don’t see anything wrong with piercings and tattoos in and of themselves. But the location of the piercing or tattoo might be questionable in some situations, as well as the image on the tattoo.

[quote="canadianguy1143, post:1, topic:225242"]

Comments...

[/quote]

I didn't vote because my option is missing : I find neither offensive or "less attractive" in any way.

[quote="Barbkw, post:10, topic:225242"]
It takes an artist to ink out art on skin (Kat Von D) . Few tatoo shops employ artists. That being said, aging skin and the properties of ink on skin, will turn any art into sagging blobs of blue - pterodcactyl "butterflies".

Men wearing earrings - gay.

[/quote]

I think that depends on which ear the earring is in. I'm also under the impression that the location of the ear is different in the US than in England. I think in the US a gay man would wear the earring in his left ear. I'm just basing that on the only outwardly gay man I know.

Everytime I see a guy wearing metal on his face, it reminds me of Clint Eastwood / Gunny Highway ripping the earring out of Corp. "Stitch" Jones' ear on Heartbreak Ridge. His ear needed a stitch and a Band Aid.

Ewww....I wish I hadn't read that. :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.