Tattoos for priests?

I am planning to pursue the priesthood. I have, for a long time, wanted to get a tattoo, and am wondering if I should in light of my vocational goals.

I have the design chosen already: it's a small crown of thorns in a Celtic design. I would like it over my heart, to be kept under clothes. It is meant to be small, and kept privately only for myself, not to be displayed publicly. It's a symbol to myself alone of my devotion to Our Lord and His Love and Sacrifice.

I've really wanted it for a long time, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Do you think I should? Or is it a bad idea?

Thanks, and God Bless

In the OT, God commands that we do not get tattoos. However, the Church hasn't explicitly forbidden them.

My The Lord guide you.

I know a priest who has a small tattoo on the inside of his forehand, it simply says LaSallete + some date.

I see no problem with it
Mary.

"It's a symbol to myself alone of my devotion to Our Lord and His Love and Sacrifice."

There are many ways to do this without injecting permanent graffiti into your body (the temple of the Lord). How about wearing the Brown Scapular instead?

[quote="Kittycoin, post:1, topic:336311"]
I am planning to pursue the priesthood. I have, for a long time, wanted to get a tattoo, and am wondering if I should in light of my vocational goals.

I have the design chosen already: it's a small crown of thorns in a Celtic design. I would like it over my heart, to be kept under clothes. It is meant to be small, and kept privately only for myself, not to be displayed publicly. It's a symbol to myself alone of my devotion to Our Lord and His Love and Sacrifice.

Thanks, and God Bless

[/quote]

i think it is a personal choice. it sounds like a beautiful tatt that you have put time and thought into. :thumbsup:
i have a couple that took me years to plan and think about. i have an angel on my shoulder and a celtic cross with trinity ring in the center on my foot. both are where i can cover them if i need to.

I don't think there is any problem with it whatsoever considering it will not be exposed and it is a tatto that reflects your love and devotion to our Lord as well as your heritage. :signofcross:

It sounds lovely.

I recommend talking to your Bishop. If he is not against it, then it would be a personal choice.

[quote="bsroufek, post:2, topic:336311"]
In the OT, God commands that we do not get tattoos. However, the Church hasn't explicitly forbidden them.

My The Lord guide you.

[/quote]

Judaism forbids tattoos; however, a religious or spiritual one is probably not out of place for a priest.

Your plan for your tattoo sounds interesting but since you are planning to become a priest, I suggest that you wait a while until your dreams are fulfilled. People's love for different images change over time and once you become a priest your present idea for a tattoo and it's location may also change.

Furthermore considering your plans, not everyone agrees with tattooing and I think it is a good idea to wait and see what happens.

I wouldn't recommend it even though it sounds like a cool tattoo. I've always thought we shouldn't but I don't think there is teaching on that.

you should discuss this with your spiritual advisor.

[quote="Kittycoin, post:1, topic:336311"]

Thanks, and God Bless

[/quote]

Congratulations on feeling called to the priesthood.

Have you spoken with the vocations director of your diocese or your parish priest about your desire to enter the priesthood?

Since you notice a concern in your thoughts about a tattoo and the priesthood, it seems fitting that you speak with your vocations director or priest.

If you have not already begun to speak with them about the priesthood, now would be a good time to do so. As you move along this path toward discernment, you could address the tattoo along with any other questions or concerns.

Do you mind sharing your age as this can also play a role in deciding about the tattoo?

May God lead you in discerning your path towards His priesthood.

Generally speaking, tattoos and priesthood aren't incompatible provided of course any tattoo is discreet and not inappropriate.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it. I like that your keeping it under your clothing for yourself. It's not like your flaunting it for everyone to see.

I believe an application to a diocese to become a seminarian is supposed to ask if one has any tattoos.

Whether or not you are accepted, however, is at the discretion of the bishop. I'd recommend talking to the Director of Vocations in your diocese to see what the bishop has to say about it.

If the bishop decides to draw a hard line, you may be rejected admission. On the other hand: it may have no effect what so ever.

Since this would impact a big decision, I'd recommend you ask.

It is up to the norms of your diocese. In my archdiocese I know there is rule on it and I know some priests that got tats while in seminary and after ordinations

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.