Tattoos?

Are Catholics permitted to have tattoos?

Leviticus 19:28 - Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

[quote=levi86]Are Catholics permitted to have tattoos?

Leviticus 19:28 - Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.
[/quote]

Yes.

I believe this prohibition is about tatoos that were part of religious observances worshiping false gods.

That said I never could understand tatoos. I mean sure that barb wire ring around your arm is cool when your 20 but I just don’t think it does grandma any justice.

Chuck

I am going to have to admit that there may be no official teaching on tatoos. I think if a person knows the levitical law BEFORE they go and get a tattoo then they should NOT get one. As a former agnostic though I will admit that one of the reasons I never got a tattoo is because deep down inside I knew it wasn’t right.

LINK http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=39833&highlight=tattoo

QUESTION: *Is getting a tattoo sinful? *
*I have been considering getting a tattoo for about four years now. Excluding any inappropriate imagery or wording, would receiving the tattoo in general be considered a sinful act? *

REPLY:Michelle Arnold
[left]*Re: Is getting a tattoo sinful? *[/left]
Other than a general injunction that there is an obligation to be mindful of bodily health and to avoid spending on luxuries money that one cannot afford, the Church does not take a position on body enhancements such as tattoos. So long as you take the proper precautions to safeguard your health and so long as the money it would cost is not needed for personal obligations, you are free to get a tattoo.

[quote=levi86]Are Catholics permitted to have tattoos?

[/quote]

If God did not want “tattoos” on ones body before Christ, why would he not be bothered if one gets them after Christ?

God does not change from what I understand.

"Leviticus 19:28 - Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."
as far as i know, that falls under levitical law, right? we are not bound by levitical law, only moral law. and as stated before, that is most likely part of the observance to dead spirits, false gods, etc…
and malachi_a_serva, (under the assumption you follow these things…) why would you have a statue or portrait of Jesus, when God clearly said not to make images of God in the OT? or why can a lay person go near the altar when only priests were alowed? this is not meant to seem an attack, but God did change some things when his son came to earth… any parent can attest to the fact that things change when you have a son…

[quote=jax8686]"Leviticus 19:28 - Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."
as far as i know, that falls under levitical law, right? we are not bound by levitical law, only moral law. and as stated before, that is most likely part of the observance to dead spirits, false gods, etc…
and malachi_a_serva, (under the assumption you follow these things…) why would you have a statue or portrait of Jesus, when God clearly said not to make images of God in the OT? or why can a lay person go near the altar when only priests were alowed? this is not meant to seem an attack, but God did change some things when his son came to earth… any parent can attest to the fact that things change when you have a son…
[/quote]

I concur… :smiley: I don’t worry too much when i eat the fat off a bit of pork or give blood either :rolleyes:

You know, I was just thinking in church today about how I would I feel about getting a cross on my inner wrist? I could always look down & remember.

[quote=adstrinity]You know, I was just thinking in church today about how I would I feel about getting a cross on my inner wrist? I could always look down & remember.
[/quote]

Are you aware that this is the Coptic Christian tradition? It is still used today by the Copts as a testimony of the Faith in the face of Muslim persecution. I feel it’s one of the most beautiful and poignent witnesses to Christ that one can muster. After all, every time you shake someone’s hand they will know immediately that you’re a Christian!

Peace and God bless!

It would be a real bummer to wind up in blazes because of my celtic cross and trinity knots under my right sleeve. To be on the safe side, maybe I should confess them before the next time I recieve.

[quote=Ghosty]Are you aware that this is the Coptic Christian tradition? It is still used today by the Copts as a testimony of the Faith in the face of Muslim persecution. I feel it’s one of the most beautiful and poignent witnesses to Christ that one can muster. After all, every time you shake someone’s hand they will know immediately that you’re a Christian!

Peace and God bless!
[/quote]

:smiley: Thank you. Same to you!!! No, I did not know this was a Coptic tradition. I was thinking a more obvious cross, anyway, but, thank you for telling about this. That is pretty cool. :slight_smile:

…AAAAAAAAANND…as I am looking on Yahoo!'s search images about “Cross tattoos”, there is a lot of beautiful work already out there. VERY elabourate & such… :slight_smile:

Again, thank you for the information!!! :smiley:

[quote=adstrinity]:smiley: Thank you. Same to you!!! No, I did not know this was a Coptic tradition. I was thinking a more obvious cross, anyway, but, thank you for telling about this. That is pretty cool. :slight_smile:

…AAAAAAAAANND…as I am looking on Yahoo!'s search images about “Cross tattoos”, there is a lot of beautiful work already out there. VERY elabourate & such… :slight_smile:

Again, thank you for the information!!! :smiley:
[/quote]

Check my profile for one too. It’s my Armenian-style Cross on my back and neck.

Peace and God bless!

[quote=richbansha]It would be a real bummer to wind up in blazes because of my celtic cross and trinity knots under my right sleeve. To be on the safe side, maybe I should confess them before the next time I recieve.
[/quote]

I’m in big trouble as well with my Immaculate Heart/Sacred Heart, Holy Spirit, Crucifix combo. :eek:

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.