Tattoos

Are tattoos against catholic belief?? Just wonderin cuz i have one that i got a few weeks ago n i’m goin back and gettin one more.
Thanks
~Megan

I know a priest who has a tattoo on his shoulder, and he got it after he was ordained–it is a tattoo of his order’s shield, so no, there is nothing that says a Catholic cannot get tattooed. I also have several, and two of them are religious: I have the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, one on each arm. So tat away, friend!
and God bless! :thumbsup:

I’d ask the AAA Forum for what the Church teaches. I, personally, don’t have a problem with them but it’s quite possible they could be considered self-mutilation. Don’t know.

I don’t think the Church has an official view on the matter. The question simply is; why are you permanently marking the body that God has given you? Is there really a proportionate reason for doing so? Are you sure that you will be just as enthralled with the tatoos 10, 20, 30 years from now?

Until recently tattoos had been a trademark of decadence. It was something for drug addicts, homosexuals, pagan tribes and sailors who had been abroad. Nowadays it has become far more common but I don’t really that is a good thing. I know there are more religious tatoos nowadays but even then, do you really need to permanently mark your body to show that you love God? Aren’t there better ways? Anyone can wear a cross or other religious symbol.

It may be too simplistic to say is the Church against tattoos. After all some cultures use tatooing for various resons, and the Church is not of the habit of causing cultures to throw away any heritage that is not antithetical to the faith. If there is sufficient reason for tattooing, and is not done in an act of denial of sound doctrine, i’m sure that it is permissable.

On the other hand one might consider the specifics of the situation. Why a person gets a tattoo? What infuenced this decision? Who was it procured from? What is the tattoo an image of? I believe these are important questions to ask. Is getting the tattoo a defiance of God or His Church? The sin of disobedience and pride. Where did a person get the tattoo? Was it from someone who is also tattooing satanic images on people. One could be complicit in another’s sins. Or giving money to causes they are not aware of, and contrary to the faith. I think these are questions worthy of consideration. Sin lies in intent and action. :cool:

Tatoos are ok but the content of the tatoo has to be taken into consideration. If you are truley a Catholic why didn’t you inquire if it’s ok first?

I think getting tattooed is wrong. If you get one, you cannot donate blood for some time, due to the risk of hepatitis infection.

I’ve never seen one example where anybody’s appearance was improved in anybody’s eyes but their own. Mike Tyson’s facial tattoos are the prime example. I’d like to see what the consent form warns against.

ditto for body piercing, yes,including ears.

:This is one of those things that confuses me.

I have heard a host of the Catholic Answers’ radio program (I think–it was on the Catholic radion station) speak about this, quoting Mosaic Law:
[left]You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh, for the dead, neither shall you make in yourselves any figures or marks: I am the Lord.
[right]Leviticus 19:28
[/right]
[/left]
[left] [right] [left]But this seems to me to be “Cafeteria shopping.” People tend to pick things they like from Leviticus, and discard the rest. So my feeling is that this radio host just didn’t like tattoos, so he was using this passage to push his personal agenda. After all, Acts 15 makes it clear that Gentiles are not bound my most of the old Law.
[/left]
[/right]
[/left]

[quote=Megzy]Are tattoos against catholic belief?? Just wonderin cuz i have one that i got a few weeks ago n i’m goin back and gettin one more.
Thanks
~Megan
[/quote]

Megzy…I’m finding your posts almost humorous at this point…you come asking advice in one sentence and then in another you state that your mind is already made up to continue doing what you’re asking about…am I not getting it??..shouldn’t a mature person ask advice before doing or continuing something, and then CONSIDER the advice given by others…if not, why ask at all??..isn’t this question VERY similar to the ouija board question you asked?

God Bless you.

[quote=Timidity]:This is one of those things that confuses me.

I have heard a host of the Catholic Answers’ radio program (I think–it was on the Catholic radion station) speak about this, quoting Mosaic Law:[left]You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh, for the dead, neither shall you make in yourselves any figures or marks: I am the Lord.

[right]Leviticus 19:28

[/right]

[/left]

[left][right][left]But this seems to me to be “Cafeteria shopping.” People tend to pick things they like from Leviticus, and discard the rest. So my feeling is that this radio host just didn’t like tattoos, so he was using this passage to push his personal agenda. After all, Acts 15 makes it clear that Gentiles are not bound my most of the old Law.

[/left]

[/right]

[/left]

[/quote]

The quote from Leviticus refers to the practice that was common among the pagans at the time (and even in some American Indian tribes, from what I understand) of ritually cutting the flesh as a sign of morning when someone dies. The “figures or marks” most likely refers to the same thing, given the context.

Gray Mouser

I have never heard an official doctrine on tatoos. But OT kinda discourages it. Our faith however tries to christianize the bad. I would say if you dont have one, dont get one. If you do however, your intention of getting it and what the tatoo actually is would play a factor to whether it is a sin or not. Around the world many Catholic people have tatoos. I saw a few people with tatoos dancing around in front of the Pope during jubilee or something on TV. He didnt seem to mind too much.

I have a tat that is very special to me. I see no problem with tats, its no more upsetting to me than getting a hair cut. After all you are altering your hair when you cut or color it.

several priests i know have tattoos. it can be a very profound way to demonstrate your faith, or to ‘illustrate’ your life.

the question, as has already been asked, is ‘why’? why do you have one? why do you want more? what is your motivation?

it may be more a question of priorities than morality.

i would definitely recommend NOT getting one before the age of, say, 20 or 25. you do alot of crazy things when you’re a teenager. i’d recommend keeping them as non-permanent as possible. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.