Tau Cross

Who among you wears a Tau Cross necklace?

I do! I have one similar to the one pictured in my sig file; I also have one that includes the crossed arms of Jesus and St. Francis.

I do!!! I recieved it for my Confirmation from one of my team mentors, and it was blessed by Pope John Paul II…it’s one of my most precious crosses!

[quote=CheesusPowerKid]I do!!! I recieved it for my Confirmation from one of my team mentors, and it was blessed by Pope John Paul II…it’s one of my most precious crosses!
[/quote]

Wow… so lucky :slight_smile:
Btw, what’s so unique about this kind of Cross?

This cross is given to all those who reach profession in our local Secular Franciscan Order. They study, discern, and pray for a period of 18 months to 2 years. This signifies their wish to spend the rest of their lives following the Gospel of Jesus in the footsteps of St. Francis.

Deacon Tony SFO

[quote=plato3]This cross is given to all those who reach profession in our local Secular Franciscan Order. They study, discern, and pray for a period of 18 months to 2 years. This signifies their wish to spend the rest of their lives following the Gospel of Jesus in the footsteps of St. Francis. Deacon Tony SFO
[/quote]

I have been thinking about becoming a Secular Franciscan. I have already made a personal vow of simplicity (and live by it). It seems scary to me though. How much do others get involved in your personal life?

[quote=viktor aleksndr]Who among you wears a Tau Cross necklace?
[/quote]

I wear the Tau style Crucifix

[quote=bauerice]I have been thinking about becoming a Secular Franciscan. I have already made a personal vow of simplicity (and live by it). It seems scary to me though. How much do others get involved in your personal life?
[/quote]

Good question- The answer is: only to the extent that you want others involved. Our members all lead a life of ministry and prayer. When we get together to talk about relating the Gospels to our lives, we support each other in our faith journey. The members are encouraged to share only what they feel comfortable sharing. This is a great experience for most of our people, because they say that they can not speak freely about their faith in other settings. Their relatives don’t want to hear it and their friends think that they are “Too churchy.”

There is much time for inquiry and discernment. If you feel called to this vocation, by all means attend a few meetings and see what it is all about.

May God bless you.
Deacon Tony SFO

The Tau Cross is the habit of the Secular Franciscan Order. So most Secular Franciscan wear it, some all the time.

Also, it is associated with Franciscanism as well, so many people who like St. Francis also were it.

Good bless.

[quote=T.A.Stobie, SFO]The Tau Cross is the habit of the Secular Franciscan Order. So most Secular Franciscan wear it, some all the time.

Also, it is associated with Franciscanism as well, so many people who like St. Francis also were it.

Good bless.
[/quote]

Hello either I have not seen you posting or missed you posting while my computer was down.:wave:

Hi Toni,

due to my disabilty and lack of ability to sit at my computer for reasonable periods of time, i do not get on the forums much any more. Pray for me. Prehaps when I get my power wheelchair I will be able to do more.

Thomas

[quote=plato3]Good question- The answer is: only to the extent that you want others involved. Our members all lead a life of ministry and prayer. When we get together to talk about relating the Gospels to our lives, we support each other in our faith journey. The members are encouraged to share only what they feel comfortable sharing. This is a great experience for most of our people, because they say that they can not speak freely about their faith in other settings. Their relatives don’t want to hear it and their friends think that they are "Too churchy."
There is much time for inquiry and discernment. If you feel called to this vocation, by all means attend a few meetings and see what it is all about.
May God bless you.
Deacon Tony SFO
[/quote]

I really want to. Others don’t understand the depths of my faith and mockingly call me father.

[quote=bauerice]I really want to. Others don’t understand the depths of my faith and mockingly call me father.
[/quote]

I had similiar experiences long before I became a Franciscan and then a deacon. I hope there are opportunities in your part of the country to explore the different Orders that take lay people. The Franciscan charism is befriending the poor and the marginal. The Dominicans are preachers Etc. There are other Orders that take lay people that are more into contemplative and meditative prayer. You will find many in these groups that you can identify with. Don’t let others discourage you.

Deacon Tony SFO

[quote=bauerice]I have been thinking about becoming a Secular Franciscan. I have already made a personal vow of simplicity (and live by it). It seems scary to me though. How much do others get involved in your personal life?
[/quote]

Living as a Franciscan in poverty doesnt mean that we have to live as a poor. It is about living in a simple life and sharing the gifts God gave to us. Franciscans are rich for we have the riches that God gave to us here on earth. Imagine God gave us one of the most important material in this world, its the air. Being a Franciscan is to appreciate everything that God gave to us.

hi there!

i really wanna have tau cross because it reminds me of St.Francis’ surrender to God, which i want to imitate… But in the Philippines, i don’t know if there’s a store that sells one… I really wanted to buy those olive wood ones… Do you know where i can get them? Thanks! :slight_smile: GOd BLess!

http://www.elimglobal.org/images/tau.jpg

[quote=redg]hi there!

i really wanna have tau cross because it reminds me of St.Francis’ surrender to God, which i want to imitate… But in the Philippines, i don’t know if there’s a store that sells one… I really wanted to buy those olive wood ones… Do you know where i can get them? Thanks! :slight_smile: GOd BLess!

http://www.elimglobal.org/images/tau.jpg
[/quote]

You can buy on the SFO centre. I dont know the address. They are selling TAU Cross that came from Assisi. Maybe you can find it also in Franciscan friary of monastery.

[quote=viktor aleksndr]You can buy on the SFO centre. I dont know the address. They are selling TAU Cross that came from Assisi. Maybe you can find it also in Franciscan friary of monastery.
[/quote]

i just spoke from someone in SFO, and they’re selling Tau crosses… Thank you so much Victor! You just don’t know how happy i am! :slight_smile: :dancing: God Bless you!

AT present I am going through the formation process of SFO. I absolutely love it. The people that I have meet are so spiritual and most of all help one another carry their crosses. I can’t wait to get a Tau Cross and won’t until I take my final profession! Thats just me, but once I receive the Cross it will never be removed. I feel so blessed to be called to this vocation.

As of recently I have walked through some of the bible verses as Francis and its been rather trying but the Graces are abundant!

i always wear my tau cross when i leave the haouse. or sometimes i wear my san damiano cross necklace. i also made a bracelet out of the tau cross necklace

My parents are both Secular Franciscans and never take their crosses off, even to swim.

Dad went overseas a couple of years ago, and, being full of mischief as usual, thought it would be a good idea to get the cross and crossed arms tattooed on his forearm. :eek:

Looks good actually, but Mum wasn’t overly impressed when he came home! :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.