Teach me about St. Michael

So here’s a story. About four years ago my uncle passed away from cancer, since then I have wanted to get a tattoo as a tribute, but I never wanted to devote a whole piece to him, just so other memebers of my family dont feel left out. I have also wanted somethin to symbolize my religious beliefs. ( I dont buy into the whole catholic teaching, but I strongly belive in God, but thats neither here nor there) So i started tinkering with different cross ideas, and relized it just wasnt what I was looking for. Than a couple of days ago it clicked. An angel. Now which angel should I choose? hmm… How the angel I am named after? Perfect st. Michael. So i started doing research and have read many things including that he is the angel who takes souls to heaven, and he comes before your death in order to rid you of your evils. Is there any truth to this? if so, this is exactly what am I am looking for… Any other info you could provide would be awsome. thanks alot.

I think, though I may be wrong, in the apocryphal book of Enoch it has the story of Michael fighting the devil for the soul of Moses. It’s referenced in the New Testament as well. Look around in the Catholic Encyclopedia portion of this website to find an good article about him.:thumbsup:

oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Michael_the_Archangel%2C_Saint

St. Micheal is the guardian of all tabernacles.

I’m curious. Are you a lapsed Catholic who knew and understood all the teachings of the Catholic Church but then rejected them or are you another non-Catholic who rejects something they know nothing about??

St. Michael is one of the principal angels; his name was the war-cry of the good angels in the battle fought in heaven against the enemy and his followers. Four times his name is recorded in Scripture:
(1) Daniel 10:13 sqq., Gabriel says to Daniel, when he asks God to permit the Jews to return to Jerusalem: “The Angel [D.V. prince] of the kingdom of the Persians resisted me . . . and, behold Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me . . . and none is my helper in all these things, but Michael your prince.”
(2) Daniel 12, the Angel speaking of the end of the world and the Antichrist says: “At that time shall Michael rise up, the great prince, who standeth for the children of thy people.”
(3) In the Catholic Epistle of St. Jude: “When Michael the Archangel, disputing with the devil, contended about the body of Moses”, etc. St. Jude alludes to an ancient Jewish tradition of a dispute between Michael and Satan over the body of Moses, an account of which is also found in the apocryphal book on the assumption of Moses (Origen, “De principiis”, III, 2, 2). St. Michael concealed the tomb of Moses; Satan, however, by disclosing it, tried to seduce the Jewish people to the sin of hero-worship. St. Michael also guards the body of Eve, according to the “Revelation of Moses” (“Apocryphal Gospels”, etc., ed. A. Walker, Edinburgh, p. 647).
(4) Apocalypse 12:7, "And there was a great battle in heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon."
newadvent.org/cathen/10275b.htm

Thats funny because God is the founder of the Catholic Church.
It was written down for our salvation history.

Right here is where Jesus tells Peter

Matthew 16:18
And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus spoke the truth. The gates of hell have not overcome His Church and it’s been almost 2000 years since!

Naw… he’s just going down the line in the cafeteria! :wink: :smiley:

No, I know all the teachings. I was raised catholic, went to a catholic grade school, high school, etc.

I also was raised Catholic, went to Catholic grade school, high school, etc. I have found that I didn’t know all the teachings etc.

Hang around this forum with an open heart to where the Holy Spirit is guiding you and you just might find that you don’t know as much as you think you do either. What you might most importantly find out is that you don’t know WHY we believe the things we do. Once you learn the whys in conjunction with the whats, you just might start feeling a tug to come home…

You might also visit this site:
catholicscomehome.org/

Good for you. I would think there are very few people know ALL the teachings.

What specific teachings don’t you buy into and why?

Honestly? One of my biggest problems is the teaching on purgatory. Where in the bible does it make mention of this? Also, I hate how it can teach something for so long, than change its teachings, for example the issue of creationism vs. evolution. The church was so stubborn forever about it, and now it has changed its teaching on the matter. It is hard to buy into something that doesnt even know its own way.

Look for the person who suffers after death, but still gets to Heaven in 1 Corinthians 3:15. There the concept of Purgatory awaits you.

The Church has NOT changed its stance on evolution. We are free to believe in evolution because it does not contradict our faith. What we must believe is that we are all descended from one set of parents (Adam and Eve) and actually science is helping to prove that. Mitochondrial DNA shows that all humans alive today are descended from one woman (not the Biblical Eve) about 200,000 years ago.

On Purgatory, it is scriptural. Maybe you just didn’t understand it. Please read these articles:

catholic.com/library/purgatory.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0511sbs.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0010sbs.asp
scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html

Thistle and Paul2274, be careful. Your words are not salt and your lack of kindness will drive away even some who may be seeking. I’m awaiting confirmation at the 2009 Easter vigil, I am coming in to the Catholic Church through the Lord’s grace and intensive study. I know that I cannot judge His Church by those that represent it. But those who may be exploring or seeking may not have thought that far. We will all answer to God not only for our lives and our actions, but for our words and for those we have driven from the fold as well as those we have helped in.

Be careful. Seems like you are doing some judging.

Purgatory—>to purge to purify.

It’s more of a process then a place.
It’s more like something that happens to you then somewhere you go.We are cleansed (purged,purified,refined) of any impurities so that we may enter into heaven.Because like **Revelation 21:27 **says

27and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Daniel 12:10

10"Many will be **purged, purified **and refined, but the wicked will act wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand, but those who have insight will understand.

Zechariah 13:9

9"And I will bring the third part through the fire,
     **Refine them as silver is refined**,
     And test them as gold is tested 
     They will call on My name,
     And I will answer them;
     I will say, 'They are My people,'
     And they will say, 'The LORD is my God.'" 

Isaiah 48:10

10"Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver;
     I have tested you in the furnace of affliction. 

Malachi 3:3

3"He will sit as a smelter and purifier of silver, and He will (purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, so that they may present to the LORD offerings in righteousness.

it was Archbishop Fulton Sheen who once said “If you want your children to lose their faith send them to Catholic school but if you want them to fight for their faith send them to public school.”

The Catholic Church is the Church Jesus built on Peter.
Peter is the first pope.
The Catholic Church is almost 2000 years old.
All the denominations that “protested” are only 490 years old.

Think of a big tree

The branches are those Protestant denominations

The trunk is the Catholic Church

The roots are Jewish

You can trace all those Protestant denominations back to the Catholic Church.

Oh and one more thing dblb48-----

Think and ask yourself which came first the Church or the Bible?

The Bible did not create the Church.

The Church gave the world the Bible.

think of it this way

first you start the business then you write the employee handbook

and the business has the authority to explain the handbook after all it was the business that wrote it.Who better to explain it?

From the St. Michael chaplet:

*"O glorious prince St. Michael, chief and commander of the
heavenly hosts, guardian of souls, vanquisher of rebel spirits,
servant in the house of the Divine King and our admirable conductor, you who shine with excellence and superhuman virtue deliver us from all evil, who turn to you with confidence and enable us by your gracious protection to serve God more and more faithfully every day.

Pray for us, O glorious St. Michael, Prince of the Church of Jesus
Christ, that we may be made worthy of His promises*."

Now, as others pointed out, he is mentioned several times in the Scriptures, and even more in books such as Enoch. As far as his character, I believe that he is a valiant warrior with a heart of gold. He is faithful to the Father and gladly helps those in need.

Michael does not “rid you of your evils”, however. Only Christ does that. But, Michael is our protector against the attacks of evil against us. Trust me, I’ve prayed this prayer many times and asked him to protect me and those I love when under attack from evil ones. And he does protect, as my life can attest to.

Here is a link to the St. Michael chaplet:

ewtn.com/library/prayer/mikechap.txt

Peace…

MW

Folks, I hate to be a **** about this, but take other discussions elsewhere. I think it could be a wonderful thread about a wonderful person if we allow it to be.

Peace…

MW

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.