"Teach me, dear Lord"

I'm looking for the lyrics for this hymn that we sang in choir in the 60's. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. Thankyou!:confused::blessyou:

Hello,
Teach me, dear Lord, to generously live.
And, let me learn unselfishly to give.
Even in weakness, give me strength to spend--
all for your glory even to the end.

Can't do the notes, sorry. Could it be a Daniel Lord, SJ?
We sang it at St. Rose of Lima Church in Chicago, 50's & 60's.

scolenski:rolleyes:

I also have been looking for this hymn. We sang it at my high school graduation (1957). Recently, I even contacted the school, but they were unable to give me any information. I can still hear the tune in my head and would love to be able to share it with others at my parish. Did you ever find out anything (author, sheet music, etc.)? The words sent you were the same that I remember. However, I seem to feel there were additional verses, but I may be wrong. Would appreciate hearing from you if you have any more information. Thanks in advance.

Three hymns with a similar name are here

nethymnal.org/htm/t/e/teachmeo.htm

and here

nethymnal.org/htm/t/e/teachmol.htm

and

nethymnal.org/htm/t/e/teachmet.htm

I sang that hymn on graduation day in Lima, Peru, and have since tried to find the music.
If any of you found it, please contact me!

Teach me, dear Lord, to generously live
And let me learn unselfishly to live
Even in weakness give me strength to spare
All for Thy glory even to the end

Teach me to toil without a care for rest
Show me in trial that Thy way is the best
And when my life is gone and life is past
Take me, dear Lord, to heaven and Thee at last

Teach me, dear Lord, to generously live
And let me learn unselfishly to live
Even in weakness give me strength to spare
All for Thy glory even to the end

Teach me to suffer mindless of the pain
Show me to … heedless of the gain
Helpme to fight for truth without a fear
Keep strong my voice though not a way is clear

Teach me to toil without a care for rest
Show me in trial that Thy way is the best
And when my life is gone and life is past
Take me, dear Lord, to heaven and Thee at last

Thank you for the lyrics to this hymn. Would you have any idea where I could get the sheet music for our choir director? Thanks in advance.

I graduated 1970, and I have asked my ex-classmates if they have it. I’ll post any relevant answer.

And, by the way, the missing word is “labor”!

Thank you so much. I have been searching for this for so long and finally get some answers. Will await whether your classmates can fill in the final link. :thumbsup:

I, too, have been looking for the lyrics and music to this hymn for many years. But until just the other day, I’ve always searched by its title, which is, “Prayer for a Perfect Life”. Just thought that some of you may remember this title.

Honestly, I do not remember the title as Prayer for a Perfect Life, but it would make sense that it was called that. At least when I googled Prayer for a Perfect Life, I do see that it is a hymn and it’s author is William H. O’Connell, former Archbishop/Cardinal of Boston. However, I really could not find anything further on it. Hopefully, one of you will be able to do this. I gave our church’s choir director the lyrics and he was going to investigate it also. Maybe if enough of us work on it, someone will be successful. Thanks all of you and will let you know if I hear anything further as I am sure you also will.:thumbsup:

I think it’s so interesting that so many of us sang that hymn back in the 60’s. I was living in the suburbs of Philadelphia at that time. I hope we can really track it down. Also, I think the first line ends in “give”. I’m just so grateful to get three stanzas!!

Hi Everyone. I cannot believe it. God is so good. At New Year’s Mass, I saw a girl who graduated with me from high school. She is a retired music teacher. I mentioned to her that I had been looking for the hymn, Teach me, dear Lord and if she remembered the hymn. She did as well as having the music and lyrics to it. I have scanned them into my computer, but am not sure if I know how to get them into this note. I will try. If it does not work, I would be glad to email them to you. My email address is macar9@juno.com. Please be sure to tell me you are from the Catholic Forum. By the way, the hymn is called Prayer for A Perfect Life. :smiley:

Please send me the lyrics and music I would appreciate it so very much!

Thanks!

Hi Theresa, I will be glad to send it to you if you could send me your email address either through the forum, or my emailing me directly at macar9@juno.com. Eleanor:)

Hi! I have been searching and searching for this music! My grandfather sang this song at my parents wedding! And we are trying to plan a 50th wedding anniversary mass for my parents and we were so hoping to find this music so we could have the choir sing it!! is it possible for you to email me a copy of it??
Thank you so much!
Johanna

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.