Teacher breaks wall of silence at state's Muslim public school

By KATHERINE KERSTEN, Star Tribune

Recently, I wrote about Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy (TIZA), a K-8 charter school in Inver Grove Heights. Charter schools are public schools and by law must not endorse or promote religion.

Evidence suggests, however, that TIZA is an Islamic school, funded by Minnesota taxpayers.

TIZA has many characteristics that suggest a religious school. It shares the headquarters building of the Muslim American Society of Minnesota, whose mission is “establishing Islam in Minnesota.” The building also houses a mosque. TIZA’s executive director, Asad Zaman, is a Muslim imam, or religious leader, and its sponsor is an organization called Islamic Relief.

| STORY |

Afterward, Getz said, “teachers led the kids into the gym, where a man dressed in white with a white cap, who had been at the school all day,” was preparing to lead prayer. Beside him, another man “was prostrating himself in prayer on a carpet as the students entered.”

“The prayer I saw was not voluntary,” Getz said. “The kids were corralled by adults and required to go to the assembly where prayer occurred.”

Islamic Studies was the last one – the board said the kids were studying the Qu’ran

Where is the ACLU? I know there is a similar school in NY.

Maybe someone should contact Madalyn Murray O’Hair’s group “American Atheists”.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Atheists

If you continue reading on the second page you will see that towards the bottom of the article it does state that the ACLU is investigating this. If this really is going on in the school the school needs to have it’s public funding revoked.

originally posted by Sabda
If you continue reading on the second page you will see that towards the bottom of the article it does state that the ACLU is investigating this. If this really is going on in the school the school needs to have it’s public funding revoked.

Thanks. I wonder how many Islamic** public** schools there are in the U.S…

There are many private ones. With estimated 6 million+ muslim population, one article states there are 23+ Islamic schools in NY, NJ and another 2006 article states there are 235 Islamic schools in the U.S.

wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?event_id=172467&fuseaction=events.event_summary

Why should the Northern Virginia based Islamic Saudi Academy be run by the Saudi government?

I wonder about this quote…

“Some teachers ‘focus more on hatred,’ said one teenager … ‘They teach students that whatever is kuffar [non-Muslim], it is okay for you’ to hurt or steal from that person.”

Pictures of dress code at …

• All Noor School in Brooklyn
  • At Al Iman School in Queens, robes are required.

I don’t understand this. If a school is private they can certainly follow a religious tradition but a public school?

Why can a public school be Muslim but we can’t have prayer in school?

I don’t understand the logic behind this?

I wonder if anyone even monitors the private Islamic schools.

Can you imagine if a Catholic school brochure looked like this?

Pictures with boys on computers while girls are fully covered and reading stories in the Koran at the at Al-Ghazaly Muslim elementary school in Jersey City, New Jersey.

usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/muslimlife/education4.htm

When it comes to private schools, I think that it is up to the parents to decide if the school best serves their children’s needs. A public school is different,because the government-with our taxes-financially supports the school.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.