Teacher to student: If you don't support gay marriage, drop my class

At a Catholic university?

foxnews.com/opinion/2014/11/22/teacher-to-student-if-dont-support-gay-marriage-drop-my-class/

I feel worn out with this culture.

Daniel 7:25

He shall speak words against the Most High,
and shall wear out the saints of the Most High,
and shall think to change the times and the law;
and they shall be given into his hand
for a time, two times, and half a time.

Based on the OP’s source, I suspected the source might have slanted the story for maximum effect. Based on the following link, they have done exactly that. :mad:

dailynous.com/2014/11/18/philosophy-grad-student-target-of-political-smear-campaign/

We hear about this kind of thing happening in America all the time these days. So why is it so hard to believe?

Perhaps because it was completely debunked in this instance. But don’t let the facts get in the way of a good false narrative. :stuck_out_tongue:

Your linked story does not necessarily refute my linked story. How do we know that your linked story has not “slanted the story for maximum effect”?

Completely debunked? How? Where?

I have to agree; I read the second linked article and didn’t see where it was any great contrast. There’s a problem with telling a student that ideas may not be discussed because the very discussion might ‘offend’ someone. And there is a very serious problem in this country today when we’re concerned about offending some people, but not others.

Wow. The differences between the actual event and Fox’s piece are stunning. What. A. Surprise.

Hate to say this, but the student’s role is to determine what the teacher wants to hear, and then give that response on all tests.

Actual event? Were you there?

well, i don’t see any evidence of the ‘actual event’. i see two sides to a story. if someone gets hold of the recording, that might answer some questions.

O.o.

Woah, I can’t believe how biased the FOX News article was (well, maybe I can because it’s FN). This graduate student did nothing wrong whatsoever, and I hope that those conservatives harassing her and sending her threats and violent emails will immediately cease. She taught this course appropriately and handled the situation exactly as she should have.

And you’re not biased at all, are you…

The topic was Rawls’ equal liberty principle. The discussion was designed to be on the application of this principle. In doing so, the instructor might have brought up whether the denial of gay marriage, as well as that of marijuana use, and the requirement of using seat belts do indeed abridge equal liberty. In addition, the discussion might have been extended to include the question of the validity of the equal liberty principle, that is, whether an abridgment of it is fair or unfair according to the specific instances mentioned.

On the one hand, I can understand why the instructor did not want to digress from the topic by plunging into a heated discussion of gay marriage. On the other hand, digressions can be informative provided the teacher is skillful enough to connect them to the issue at hand, which, in this instance, is the equal liberty principle.

The instructor did not stop the class from discussing the subject. In fact, she then devoted at least a portion of a subsequent class to it in order to discuss the complaining student’s concerns. That isn’t a sharp enough contrast? Yes, she did note that some homosexual students may be offended by the claim that a ban on gay marriage doesn’t violate one’s rights. As explained in the article provided by Mulligan, she’s actually required to be concerned about this by the college’s harassment policy. And by the way, this also ties in directly to Rawls’ equal liberty principle (the subject of the lesson). It sounds at least equally plausible that this student wanted to soapbox in the classroom and when he couldn’t, he became upset and accused her of being unfair.

Student: Regardless of why I’m against gay marriage, it’s still wrong for the teacher of a class to completely discredit one person’s opinion when they may have different opinions.

Abbate: Okay, there are some opinions that are not appropriate, that are harmful, such as racist opinions, sexist opinions. And quite honestly, do you know if anyone in your class, in your class is homosexual? And do you not think that it would be offensive to them if you were to raise your hand and challenge this?

Student: If I choose to challenge that, that’s my right as an American citizen.

Abbate: Well, actually, you don’t have a right in this class, as the, especially as an ethics professor, to make homophobic comments, or racist comments, sexist…

thefire.org/marquette-classroom-controversy-rebuttal-ignores-facts/

again

Hate to say this, but the student’s role is to determine what the teacher wants to hear, and then give that response on all tests.

We have all been in classes where we thought our teacher was a total idiot. Doesn’t matter. If you want a good grade, you tell the teacher what they want to hear.

By the way, this occurs in every aspect of life. Your boss wants to hear A, you tell him/her A. You think A is the stupidest thing ever, doesn’t matter. You still say A.

Right. And as we’ve established, this is the student’s characterization of events, which eliminates the instructor’s description.

After reading both articles, it looks again like it’s (a) the view of the undergrad student taking the class, (b) the view of the grad student teaching the class, and © the truth. I then read the comments below each.

It appears that the problem was really one of the grad student trying to cover herself due to the university’s anti-harrassment policy, and was afraid that if the topic of gay marriage were brought up, then she could possibly end up losing her teaching assistantship (which is how many grad students pay for grad school) for violating the school’s anti-harrassment policy. Of course, the anti-harrassment policy of the school meets federal minimum requirements, which state that “harrassment” of any kind dictates punishment, up to and including expulsion - and that the decider of whether a given account is harrassment or not is the person allegedly being harrassed.

That being said, it is true that many of our Catholic universities have become “Catholic in name only” due to them fearing that not doing so will reduce their prestige in the secular world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.