Teacher: " We're not going to have Godly speaking", student suspended for saying "Bless you"

Kendra Turner, a senior at Dyer County High School, said bless you to her classmate who sneezed and the teacher told her that the term was for church.

“She said that we’re not going to have godly speaking in her class and that’s when I said we have a constitutional right,” Turner told WMC.

Full article: charlotte.cbslocal.com/2014/08/20/high-school-student-claims-she-was-suspended-for-saying-bless-you-after-classmate-sneezed/

Your thoughts?

This is why we don’t need government run schools.

My thoughts on this are too profane to post.

But seriously, even if the girl did yell across the room, in school suspension is excessive.

And kids do have a right to talk about their faith, whatever it may be, or even unbelief in public school. This looks to be an egregious attack on the student’s Constitutional rights. This seems to be happening a lot more lately, and not just to Christians. It’s happening to atheists, pagans, Muslims, everyone. My personal theory is that it’s the result of our overreactionary society. Teachers are so afraid of being accused of promoting a faith, or even unbelief, that they want desperately to keep the subject out of the classroom. Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way.

reminds me of the movie “God’s Not Dead”

This stuff is ridiculous. This kid should contact the Alliance Defending Freedom alliancedefendingfreedom.org/ or another Religious Freedom group.

Ridiculous.

BTW - if you have children in Public School or College… have them watch “God’s Not Dead”

Very good movie and will help them gain courage to not let atheist teachers/professors push them around.

Oddly enough, my (as far as I can tell, mainly secular and agnostic/atheist) classmates in my college HVAC program routinely say “bless you” when someone sneezes. The only response I’ve ever heard is “thank you”.

This teacher sounds like someone who has already decided that everyone must conform to her own position and is (maliciously and gleefully?) waiting for the slightest opportunity to jump on anyone who doesn’t.

Agreed. Allow all kids to take a voucher to pay for any school they want to attend. This type of atheistic nonsense will end real quick.

And let the teacher find a private atheist school for continued employment.

Is anyone else a little saddened by the fact that even in my lifetime (29 years), I still remember hearing “God bless you” from people, even strangers, when someone sneezed. But dare anyone say the “G” word in public - that’s trying to cram your beliefs down someone else’s throat, and that’s oppression, faith-ism, discrimination, etc…

It started with the replacement of “Merry Christmas” with “Happy Holidays.” I’ve actually heard people say “Have a Happy Holiday” (not Holidays) on Christmas Day! They can’t even say Merry Christmas on Christmas Day.

I agree wholeheartedly. Separation of church and state means just that. The can be no mention of God – or any gods, for that matter – in class.

Which means, as well, no mention of Christmas. Or Easter (after a pagan goddess).

We need to change the days of the week – Tuesday (Tiw), Wednesday (Woden), etc. Maybe go to “Day 1”, “Day 2”, etc. Monday (Moon) and Sunday (Sun) may be able to be kept, as the names are ambiguous.

Months will have to be reviewed – January (Janus), March (Mars), May (Maia), and June (Juno) are all Roman “gods”. Julius (July) and Augustus (August) Caesars were deified, so out they go too. February comes from the name of a religious purification ritual, so that is suspect. But, hey, we still have April and the four 'Embers, :thumbsup:

Now, to prevent any other gods’ names from being mentioned, the following are prohibited:

• The mention of any planet or planetoid, asteroid, or satellite. Other than “earth” or “moon”.
  • using the adjectives jovial (Jove=Jupiter), mercurial (Mercury), hermetic (Hermes), venereal (Venus), martial (Mars), etc.
  • the elements mercury, uranium, neptunium, plutonium
  • anyone whose name had a god’s name in it – like any name that ends in -*el *(Daniel) or -*yah *(Eliyah thus Elijah), or contains *theo *(Theodore, Dorothy), *god *(Godwin), thor (Thorburn), *os *(Osmond), etc.
  • Atlases must now be called “map books”, and the Atlantic Ocean must now be called the “Nonpacific”.
  • Any reference to India or Indians must change as the word invokes the god Indra.
  • “Good-bye” is forbidden as it actually comes from “God be with ye”.
  • “Gosh”, “golly”, “jeepers”, etc. are likewise prohibited. We know who you’re talking about. :tsktsk:

You know, it never occurred to me that I would laugh out loud about this issue. Thanks for making it happen. :slight_smile:

And I don’t think Sunday and Monday are really safe, because didn’t people used to worship the sun and moon?

Granted that the punishment was not too severe (less than one school period in in-school suspension), it is appalling that someone can be punished for wishing people well when they sneeze. In fact, I don’t much care whether the student was being disruptive; it’s the fact that the teacher has posted a list of unacceptable things to say, and that “bless you” is on the list, that is the wrongest thing.

I have no idea whether a teacher has a legal right to prevent students in class from saying anything related to their faith (if saying “bless you” to a sneeze even counts as faith-based). What I do know is that if I had a student in one of her classes, I would be calling the school and getting my kid transferred out of her class. The idea that “freedom from religion” is the only acceptable worldview is not one that I would want to have imparted to my children. What happened to all the tolerance?

–Jen

It’s only going to get worse until we wake up and defund public education in America. Public school teachers are consistently one of the most liberal-left wing groups in the country. Not an environment I’d want to see any child have to spend 25 hours a week in.

Those map books are a problem all their own. In my city we have both a Saint Joseph and a Saint Marys river. Private University of Notre Dame is located in Saint Joseph County. Across the border, Mercer County, Ohio has towns named Saint Henry, Saint Joseph, Saint Peter, Saint Rose, Saint Wendelin, and Maria Stein.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_County,_Ohio

All of them are trumped by the nearby town of Trinity, Indiana.

California has some serious name changing ahead because San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Jose, San Francisco, and Sacramento are all offensive to somebody.

Well, if they are going to do that, we need to remind them, that they also need to tell the Muslims, the Jewish people, and any other religious groups represented at the school, that they also MUST NOT say anything remotely related to their religions. and see how fast they make that teacher change her ways!!!

Sometimes I wonder if I live in bizarro world. This is ridiculous.

DGB

The phrase “bless you” isn’t necessarily “Godly” speaking.
A person can “bless” another person and wish them “blessings” in a non-religious context.
According to the dictionary, a “blessing” can mean:

-a beneficial thing for which one is grateful; something that brings well-being.
-a person’s sanction or support.

But it seems the teacher did not admonish the student because of the wording, but because she was distracting the other students–the main reason why the phrase had been “banned” in the classroom, not because it might be used in a religious context.

One two-second google check will give you articles with more complete information.
Here is a bit of the other side of the story:

stategazette.com/story/2110930.html

Said the assistant principal:*
“We allow the teachers to set rules in the classroom that work best for them and I think that’s fair,” added Garner. “We really stress what we call reasonable request. If a teacher asks his or her students to do something reasonable to avoid a distraction in the classroom, then we expect the students to follow the rules. If it’s not a reasonable request then we’ll sit down and talk about it to get it right.”

??!
Some people say this phrase when they don’t know what (if any) religion the person they are speaking to follows and what (if any) holiday they celebrate.

It’s not to oppress or squash any one religion. Au contraire, it’s to be inclusive of all people celebrating various religious or non-religious holidays.

Why would that be a bad thing?

Of course these people can say “Merry Christmas” on Xmas day. I hear them say it all the time.
You don’t?

**High School Student Claims She Was Suspended For Saying ‘Bless You’ After Classmate Sneezed **

DYER COUNTY, Tenn. (CBS Charlotte) – A high school student was allegedly suspended after breaking a class rule of saying “bless you” after a classmate sneezed.

Kendra Turner, a senior at Dyer County High School, said bless you to her classmate who sneezed and the teacher told her that the term was for church.

“She said that we’re not going to have godly speaking in her class and that’s when I said we have a constitutional right,” Turner told WMC.

charlotte.cbslocal.com/2014/08/20/high-school-student-claims-she-was-suspended-for-saying-bless-you-after-classmate-sneezed/

This is a good example of what a joke the public school system has become in our society.

It’s not education.

It is indoctrination in extreme secularism.

I hate to say it but the class that runs this country is no longer fit to rule over us.

What is Xmas day? Never heard of a holy day called that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.