Teacher who claimed she was pregnant with 12 babies is exposed as a fraud

A teacher is pregnant with a record-breaking 12 babies, it has been claimed. The unnamed Tunisian woman, who is in her 30s, is reportedly expecting six boys and six girls. She is said to have turned to fertility treatment after suffering two miscarriages in two years. But British fertility experts said that although it was possible to conceive 12 babies, such a pregnancy was fraught with risk. There was less than a one in 100 chance of even a single baby surviving, said one. But the woman claims to be in good health.

‘All I want to do is be able to hug my babies and show them all my love,’ she told hospital workers in the town of Gafsa, about 250 miles south of the capital Tunis. ‘This is an absolute miracle, and we all feel blessed after struggling so hard to have children.’
Her husband, named only as Marwan, who teaches at the same school in Tunisia, told the Assabah newspaper: ‘In the beginning, we thought that my wife would give birth to twins, but more foetuses were discovered. ‘Our joy was increased with the growing number. The medical team told us that my wife would give birth naturally.’

But British experts said that a natural birth would be impossible and warned that the strain of carrying 12 babies could lead to labour at 20 weeks – just halfway through pregnancy. It is unclear what stage the pregnancy is at, but ultrasound scans can work out a baby’s sex only after about 16 weeks, so it is likely she is already nearing the critical stage.

Peter Bowen-Simpkins, a fellow of Britain’s Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, said: ‘It is certainly possible to carry 12 babies but not for long. ‘The problem is the capacity of the uterus. ‘This woman is going to be enormous by 20 weeks. And when the uterus goes into labour there is nothing you can do about it. 'The youngest that babies have survived is at 22 to 23 weeks. They need very intensive nursing and the majority have permanent neurological damage. ‘You’d need a very good intensive paediatric unit to cope with this. We couldn’t do it in this country, we don’t have a unit with 12 intensive care cots. ‘I don’t like to dampen her enthusiasm but the chances are she will deliver at 20 weeks. 'I wouldn’t even give her a one in 100 chance of even one surviving. It’s frightening.’

In California in January of this year, a single mother of six defied doctors’ predictions when she gave birth to another eight healthy babies. The six boys and two girls were born to Nadya Suleman, dubbed Octomom, through IVF treatment. Others have not been so lucky. A 23-year-old Greek Cypriot who became pregnant with a then record 11 babies in 1996 had to abort nine to save the lives of two. In the same year a British woman, Mandy Allwood, 32, became pregnant with octuplets after taking fertility drugs. She ignored medical advice to abort some and lost all after they were born at just 22 weeks. Fertility doctors say it is unlikely that an IVF doctor would have agreed to implant the Tunisian woman with 12 embryos. Instead, the bumper pregnancy is likely to be the result of fertility drugs to stimulate the ovaries.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1207158/Tunisian-woman-expecting-12-babies-smash-record-octuplets-mother.html#ixzz0OX3iDzLc

A link to another article on the woman and her babies follows, excerpt below.

"Cheaper by the Dozen? Woman Claims She’s Pregnant With 12 Babies
Monday, August 17, 2009

A woman is pregnant with a record-breaking 12 babies, the Sun reported Monday.

The teacher, who has not yet been named, is expecting six boys and six girls, according to reports. She conceived the babies following fertility treatments, after suffering a number of miscarriages."…

Entire article here: foxnews.com/story/0,2933,540023,00.html

here we go again …! octomom is already old news! :shrug:

Perhaps God is trying to make up for the all the abortions people have.

Talk about irresponsible!

The doctor who did this ought to be kicked out of the profession.

How horrible especially since unless she selectively reduces aborts several of those fetuses more then likely most if not all of them will die. Heck I bet her life is in serious risk as well. And you know I am not against fertility treatments on a moral level. But it is stuff like this that makes me think they should for the most part be avoided. The human body was not made to carry more then one or two children at a time. It is not good for us or for the babies! Really though I didn;t even know something like this was possible…it;s insane.

i think it is even hard for dogs to have a litter of 12 - let alone a human being.

This woman and her little ones need a lot of prayer.

A woman who claimed she was on the verge of having a world record breaking 12 babies was in hiding today after being exposed as a fraud. Known only as AF, the 34-year-old told medics in her home town of Gafsa, Tunisia, that she was due to give birth to duodecaplets later this month. But an investigation by the country’s Health Ministry has revealed that she has ‘psychological problems and is unlikely even to be pregnant’. A spokesman in Tunis, the country’s capital, added: ‘Our staff interviewed her at length, but even her pregnancy appears to be in her imagination. ‘She’s claiming to be nine months pregnant with six boys and six girls, but there’s absolute nothing about her appearance which indicates this. ‘The woman has refused point blank to undergo a medical examination. Now we can’t even contact her. She’s gone into hiding.’

A doctor at No’man al Adab Hospital, the only one in the town of Gafsa, confirmed that the woman had never been in their care, and had ‘undoubtedly’ made the whole thing up. ‘It may be that she’s trying to make money from television,’ he said. ‘These kind of people can make thousands from appearing on programmes. Perhaps that’s what motivated her.’

The woman’s husband, a man in his 40s described only as Marwan, is known to have hired a lawyer to deal with media enquiries. ‘Even he’s gone missing now,’ said the doctor. ‘There’s something very suspicious going on, and we wouldn’t be surprised if this matter ended up with the police.’ Experts had always cast doubt on the woman’s claims, with Peter Bowen-Simpkins of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists saying: ‘How could you get 12 babies into the womb at the same time?’ ‘The womb just doesn’t expand that much. She would have to be about seven feet tall.’ The woman, an Arabic language teacher, said she had turned to IVF after suffering two miscarriages. She had said: ‘This is an absolute miracle and we all feel blessed after struggling so hard to have children.’ Earlier this year Nadya Suleman, an American divorcee, made hundreds of thousands from media deals after giving birth to eight children. The 33-year-old unemployed single mother has conceived a total of 14 children through in vitro fertilisation, and all are now living on the money made from TV deals.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1207598/Teacher-claimed-pregnant-12-babies-fraud.html#ixzz0OcUtA2NJ

This was so short-lived, I bet she didn’t even make the Enquirer.

Dang!

They’ll probably run with it anyway: the new issues hit the stands tomorrow, in my area, and I’m betting this is their headline.

Didn’t the World Weekly News run a story about a woman giving birth to eighteen babies at once? A somewhat gullible friend of mine bought the paper and showed it to me saying what a blessing this woman had, and I said, “I hate to disappoint you, but if a woman had eighteen babies, she would probably die or the babies wouldn’t make it.”

There was a case in Italy back in 1972, where a woman had conceived twelve babies at once (fertility drugs were involved), but they were all ectopic and had to be surgically removed. The babies had literally implanted everywhere in her abdominal cavity but inside her uterus: in her ovaries, in her Fallopian tubes, on the lining of her abdomen, on some of her internal organs. Too bad it ended that way and the doctor couldn’t save at least one or two, but her life was on the line.

With fertility drugs things like this aren’t totally under the doctor’s control. You can’t tell how many eggs a woman will release.

I’ve heard that what might have happened was the couple had intercourse while she was taking fertility drugs, whether it was for IVF or just to “jump-start” her fertility.

But didn’t it turn out this woman was making it all up?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.