Teachers and the Law

Does anyone know where I could find proof that a teacher can’t give their own opinions about religion in class? Is their a law about this? I have been debatig with a teacher about our religions because he insists on giving his opinion about the Catholic Church all the time. I have started another thread talking about that, (Mass Every Sunday?) but we are about to go into a meeting with this teacher, and I was wondering if I could get some back-up from the law. By the way this is a public school.

[quote=Catholicgolfer]Does anyone know where I could find proof that a teacher can’t give their own opinions about religion in class? Is their a law about this? I have been debatig with a teacher about our religions because he insists on giving his opinion about the Catholic Church all the time. I have started another thread talking about that, (Mass Every Sunday?) but we are about to go into a meeting with this teacher, and I was wondering if I could get some back-up from the law. By the way this is a public school.
[/quote]

Yes you will find this information in Catechesi Tradendae by JPII, Guide for Catechesis - Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, abd General Directory for Catechesis - by the Congregation for the Clergy. The rights annd responsibilities for a Catechist to teach according to the doctrine of the Church is found in each of these Church documents.

[quote=Catholicgolfer]Does anyone know where I could find proof that a teacher can’t give their own opinions about religion in class? Is their a law about this? I have been debatig with a teacher about our religions because he insists on giving his opinion about the Catholic Church all the time. I have started another thread talking about that, (Mass Every Sunday?) but we are about to go into a meeting with this teacher, and I was wondering if I could get some back-up from the law. By the way this is a public school.
[/quote]

I gather this is a public school teacher forcing his religious views on you, and you are a student. Have your parents complain to the principal or Superintendent of schools. If that is ineffective, they might have a meeting with a lawyer about it.

Br. Rich thanks, but I don’t think you understood. I am at a public high school. Vern, my parents have already gotten involved with the principal and us and a few other parents whose kids have had him will be having a meeting with them. My parents just asked me to find out if there is anything that the law says about this and where i could find it. Thanks for the support though.

my mom is a public school teacher…i’ll ask her about this when she gets home. i’m pretty sure it falls under the seperation of church and state thing, though.

be sure to bring your apologetics knowledge to that meeting with him! teach the teacher.

[quote=Catholicgolfer]Br. Rich thanks, but I don’t think you understood. I am at a public high school. Vern, my parents have already gotten involved with the principal and us and a few other parents whose kids have had him will be having a meeting with them. My parents just asked me to find out if there is anything that the law says about this and where i could find it. Thanks for the support though.
[/quote]

Your parents need to band with the other parents and see a lawyer – there may be one the Church recommends in your area.

The law is the Constitution – your teacher is promoting an establishment of religion (his religion) in violation of the First Amendment. But to enforce the law, you need a lawyer – who will probably write a letter to the school board threatening to sue.

[quote=Catholicgolfer]Br. Rich thanks, but I don’t think you understood. I am at a public high school. Vern, my parents have already gotten involved with the principal and us and a few other parents whose kids have had him will be having a meeting with them. My parents just asked me to find out if there is anything that the law says about this and where i could find it. Thanks for the support though.
[/quote]

You are correct I did misread your question.

Well you could challenge him on his opinions. get a small group of your Catholic friends together and compare notes on his comments. The working together write a response pointing out his errors and give it to him. You could even do it anonymously.

Another website you may want to check out or have your parents check out is www.ACLJ.org

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.