Teachers forced to 'hide in closets' to pray

Coming to a town near you - unless you decide to act now. Vote 'em out.

Teachers forced to ‘hide in closets’ to pray

Florida school teachers say they are being forced to hide in closets to pray after a controversial court ruling.
Under an order crafted by the ACLU, school employees in Santa Rosa School District must act in an “official capacity” whenever they are at a “school event” – including breaks, after-school events on or off campus and private events held on campus.
Liberty Counsel, a nonprofit law firm, alongside Christian Educators Association International, is seeking to overturn the court order, which has resulted in three school officials being charged with contempt.
According to the group, school officials are strictly prohibited from showing agreement with anyone “[/FONT][FONT=&quot]communicating with a deity,” such as “bowing the head” or “folding hands.” “School officials” must also prohibit “third-parties” from praying, Liberty Counsel said.

more…

So prayer to the saints it still okay then?

Because they’re not deities. :smiley:

I should like to know how prayer is offensive? What have we become in these sad times?

[quote="glenconnor, post:3, topic:179797"]
I should like to know how prayer is offensive? What have we become in these sad times?

[/quote]

The effects of complacent Christianity are coming home to roost.

In our society, self gratification, & all forms of evil are to be celebrated & brought out of the closet, while good behavior is now forced into the closet!

While we should not be ashamed to pray in public, Jesus did teach us: "But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you." (Mt 6:6)

Perhaps we should strive to live the loving, self-giving life that is life in Jesus Christ & that will be the best prayer possible!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Seems like a nonissue. Jesus suggested prayer in private and not necessarily in public. I recall he talked disapprovingly about Pharisees who made a show of public prayer.

While Mark77’s comment is certainly true, the story does show what is happening as the idea of separation of church and state is increasingly misunderstood and used as a tool to supress not just Christianity but other religions as well. ACLU is not about civil liberties anymore, it is more about removing God from wherever they can.

Yes, it is supposed to be*freedom of*, not freedom from.

True but totally different context. The Pharisees prayed publicly to be seen doing it - it was seen in a positive light and Jesus saw the hipocrisy. Now if you are “caught” praying in public you are chastised or punished for it.

Back to the catacombs we go.

It's only a matter of time until they start tacking us to crosses again---or beheading us, throwing us to lions, etc.

They'll probably tape it and make a reality TV out of it.

Freedom from is included for a good reason: “Daddy, today in class our teacher said ‘La ilaha il Allahu wa Muhammadur-rasulam’. What does that mean?”

rossum

"It means your teacher is wrong, dear."

"Just like my teacher last year was wrong when he said that religion is the opiate of the people?"

"Exactly."

"And my teacher the year before that was wrong when she said that women should leave the church because it's male-dominated and oppressive, and should worship the Goddess instead?"

"Precisely."

"Daddy, I'm so glad that you're here to point out all of the stuopid things the teachers in my school tell me and why those things are incorrect and silly."

"Yes, you're lucky to have me here, dear."

So now the ACLU “crafts” court orders? :confused:

[quote="Wolseley, post:10, topic:179797"]
Back to the catacombs we go.

It's only a matter of time until they start tacking us to crosses again---or beheading us, throwing us to lions, etc.

They'll probably tape it and make a reality TV out of it.

[/quote]

Yea ... you are probably on to something there.

They do say history repeats itself. :(

And we still have millions who believe our country couldn't survive without this cancer known as public education.

Callin Re: Teachers forced to 'hide in closets' to pray

So prayer to the saints it still okay then?

Because they're not deities.

Callin - you must be a lawyer! I think you've found a loop-hole! :thumbsup:

And did you ever notice that the ACLU is always on the wrong side of issues regarding religious freedom?

John Marie Philomena

[quote="JohnMPhilomena, post:16, topic:179797"]
Callin - you must be a lawyer! I think you've found a loop-hole! :thumbsup:

And did you ever notice that the ACLU is always on the wrong side of issues regarding religious freedom?

John Marie Philomena

[/quote]

Weren't Thomas More and the ACLU working together on something here lately?

You’re taking Jesus’ quote out of context. Was the quote directed at the Pharisees?
What was the intent of the Pharisees praying in public? Show off maybe?

What about the pro-life people praying outside of an abortion clinic. I’m sure their intent is sincere.

I am not a big fan of hyperbole and sarcasm, but to the point Wols is comunicating I say Amen to that.

There is no freedom from religion in the Constitution. Freedom of is in some sense the opposite. And the establishment clause is meant to protect churches (in our context, the Church) from the State. The State cannot advocate for (or against) particular religion. The Constitution says nothing about protecting the State (or more apropos, the public) from churches (or our Church).

On a side note. I don't want to come off triumphalistic or anything like that, but I am amazed at the irony behind the historical trajectory of the phrase "separation of Church and State". Much if not most of the impetus in coining and propagating this phrase came from certain circles of our Protestant brethren, intended to minimize the influence of Catholic public officials ("influence of Rome"). And yet against this common enemy of the excision of religious influence on informing one to participate in our democracy, some of our Protestant brethren are in the forefront of the fight (to their acknowledged credit). "Be careful what you wish for."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.