Teaching 6th and 7th graders

I am slated to teach our Catholic school kids in April and need some advice for a program about sexuality. I know they are young but the local (non catholic) junior high schools are nicknamed Sodom and Gommorah so we are trying to get good Catholic teaching in before the other kids do it for us. I have looked at Pam Stenzel but is it too old for them?

Contact your diocesan office for an approve curriculum materials list.

Isn't the end of March a little late to be just starting on a curriculum you will be teaching in April? This should be planned by the DRE well ahead of time.

Actually I am teaching at the Catholic SCHOOL not the Religious Ed. I have been planning this for a while. I taught the basics last year and have that one well taken care of for the younger kids. The Principal was going to ask what the other schools were using but never found out and told me to pick one. I have been trying to get this nailed down since December.

The diocesan office should still have a curriculum guide for you. They oversee both RE and Catholic schools in the diocese.

[quote="sebrenab, post:3, topic:233299"]
.....The Principal was going to ask what the other schools were using but never found out and told me to pick one.....

[/quote]

God bless you and thank you for coming here with your concerns!

It is good that you are so concerned about these young people, that is wonderful.

What you wrote about the principal "never finding out" and telling "you to pick one" just about knocked me over. I am sorry obviously I don't know this principal, however this is unacceptable. A school principal not being involved at all in picking a program about sexuality?

It's also not just the principal, this program needs to be chosen in advance so that the parents can be given appropriate information about what is being taught and ample notice to "opt out" should they decide.

Not only morally, but I would worry that legally what are you responsible for? If I sent a child to Catholic school and some teacher just picked something after going on the internet I would be LIVID and checking into my legal options including complaining to the Archdiocese. Not that you would pick something inappropriate but can you see why I am bringing this up out of concern for you?

Prayers for you, not sure what else to offer you.

God bless.

A little background is needed I guess. I am an NFP teacher and a nurse so not just a random parent. I was looking both here and One more soul-not just random internet trash. We will be sending info home to parents way ahead to allow them to opt out etc. I am friends with the diocesan Family Life director and have contacted her for more information. Also the principal knows these things that I have mentioned above so don't be too hard on her. We are just really afraid for these kids and want them to know the church's stance and teachings not those of the local mentality where we have a very high teen pregnancy rate etc. I am going between Pam Stenzel and another female speaker that is on One more Soul. Something secular was never an option-that is why I came here for an opinion on what to use!

Dear Sebrenab

Thank you for clarifying...also thank you for understanding...

I can see by your last post that you of course are qualified and that your school principal is involved.

Please forgive me for my earlier reaction, sometimes in order to save time/space people try to be brief of course...as you can see all I had to go by was the information in your first posts which left a lot in question as there was no mention that you were a nurse and friends with the principal and Archdiocesean office etc...

Thoughts were "oh no" I hope you can see reaction was motiviated by concern for the children which I hope you can appreciate.

Prayers for you and prayers also for the children you are teaching I hope you can show them the Light of Christ, God bless you!

[quote="sebrenab, post:1, topic:233299"]
I am slated to teach our Catholic school kids in April and need some advice for a program about sexuality. I know they are young but the local (non catholic) junior high schools are nicknamed Sodom and Gommorah so we are trying to get good Catholic teaching in before the other kids do it for us. I have looked at Pam Stenzel but is it too old for them?

[/quote]

I suspect you are already late. As a middle school teacher, I can tell you I've had a pregnant 12 year old in my classroom and this is in fairly well to do, respected, suburban school. Sad, and scary, but true. Hopefully, the kids you'll be teaching have had some kind of education on these things on a basic level.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.