Teaching Abbey?

Hi All,

The more I've been reading, and praying the more I think I might be called to a monastic life/apostolic life. What I mean by that is I still want to live in a community, pray the Divine Office, celebrate mass daily, ect but I'd also love to teach as well (if possible theology at a college).

Does anyone know of a benedictine abbey, or other order that runs a college or maybe a high school but also lives in a community??

Just to let you know a little background about myself, I consider myself a traditionalist thus going to a "progressive" abbey wouldn't be the best idea:blush:..

Thanks.

I do not know how "progressive" these two are but here are two.

St Vincent Archabbey
They are in Pennsylvania and run a university and seminary.

St Anselm's Abbey
They are in DC and run a school for grades 6 through 12.

Just know, you should have a vocation to the monastic life. It will be up to the abbot/community to decide if you are needed for the priesthood as Benedictines only ordain even monks to serve the community, and they will also decide if you are called to teach. Your first vocation is to the monastic life with them.

[quote="TradCatholic7, post:1, topic:250313"]
Hi All,

The more I've been reading, and praying the more I think I might be called to a monastic life/apostolic life. What I mean by that is I still want to live in a community, pray the Divine Office, celebrate mass daily, ect but I'd also love to teach as well (if possible theology at a college).

Does anyone know of a benedictine abbey, or other order that runs a college or maybe a high school but also lives in a community??

Just to let you know a little background about myself, I consider myself a traditionalist thus going to a "progressive" abbey wouldn't be the best idea:blush:..

Thanks.

[/quote]

I did give you some information in my last post but I though about this a bit more.

I do not really believe there is a calling to monastic and apostolic life as found in a monastery. Yes they do some of what you are looking for and I provided links but....

I think a better fit would me a mendicant community as they live the common life and celebrate the Hours and have daily Mass in community. You would need to find one that has teaching as a part of their ministry but that should not be too hard to do.

I think you might wish to look at your "traditionalist" views and see what you might be able to live with.

I would suggest that you visit with different communities even if you would at first write them off. You never know where God might be calling you.

[quote="TradCatholic7, post:1, topic:250313"]
Hi All,

Thanks.

[/quote]

You may want to look into the Dominican Order. This sounds like a perfect fit.

In addition to the ones mentioned by ByzCath here are some more:

Belmont Abbey / Belmont Abbey College, North Carolina
St. Anselm Abbey / St. Anselm College, New Hampshire
St. Benedict Abbey / Benedictine College, Kansas
St. Gregory's Abbey / St. Gregory's University, Oklahoma
St. John's Abbey / St. John's University, Minnesota
St. Leo Abbey / St. Leo University, Florida
St. Martin's Abbey / St. Martin's University, Washington
St. Procopius Abbey / Benedictine University, Illinois

In addition, there are a couple of monasteries with seminaries/schools of theology:

Conception Abbey, Missouri
Mt. Angel, Oregon
St. Meinrad, Indiana

As others have said, your first call must be to the monastic life. You don't necessarily know that you would be teaching at one of these colleges/universities even if you are part of the monastery. How would you feel if your assignment was to be the guestmaster for the retreat house or the cook for the monastery? Those jobs need to be filled as well!

If you want to teach at a seminary, maybe you would like Westminster Abbey? There website is here.

Or, you could teach at Downside Abbey, whose website is here.

I also forgot about Glenstal Abbey, whose website is here.

Hope I've helped, God Bless :signofcross::byzsoc:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.