Teaching about the Lord not necessary?

Jeremiah 31:34 says

They will no longer teach their friends and relatives, “Know the LORD!” Everyone, from least to greatest, shall know me—oracle of the LORD—for I will forgive their iniquity and no longer remember their sin.

I apologize if people have asked about this before and it would be fine if I am pointed to a post that answers this question. There are several three things that confuse me:

Is this something that is going on right now, because of Christ’s sacrifice, or will this not happen until the Second Coming? Since it does seem to still be necessary to teach others about God, does this mean that the New Covenant will not be completely established until Christ’s Second Coming? If the New Covenant is already established in its fullness, what does this passage mean? Is Jeremiah just saying that, because of Christ, everybody can know God, even if they don’t have an advanced degree? Or is it that people will learn about God through our example? Finally, what does Jeremiah mean by God will forgive everyone’s sins? is “everyone” referring to everyone in the Church, or every single human being? If it’s the latter, doesn’t that amount to universal salvation, or whatever the technical term is? (Origen’s teaching that everybody, even the devil, will eventually be reconciled with God.)

:hmmm:

With more context, it is:

[31] Behold the days shall come, saith the Lord, and I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Juda: [32] Not according to the covenant which I made with their fathers, in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt: the covenant which they made void, and I had dominion over them, saith the Lord. [33] But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel, after those days, saith the Lord: I will give my law in their bowels, and I will write it in their heart: and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. [34] And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying: Know the Lord: for all shall know me from the least of them even to the greatest, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

I am not familiar with this passage, but given all of the instructions we are given to preach and teach, it seems unlikely that if this passage is referencing a time when teaching about God is not necessary that that time is now. It is true that the law is written on our hearts, but we are not all that great at listening to it, and are still under concupiscence. I suspect that this description will not be fully realized until after the final judgement.

The passage also says that the reason why no one will teach about God is because everyone will know about God, which is not currently the case.

Actually, this thread is really about the same thing: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=951605

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.