Teaching Company lectures that might interest Catholics

In case you’re not acquainted with it, The Teaching Company produces recorded lecture series by college professors on a great variety of topics. I’ve bought a lot of their lectures over the years, to listen to during my commute.

Three series I’ve listened to recently might be particularly interesting to Catholics:

• “History of Christian Theology,” by Philip Cary. This series consists of 36 half-hour lectures and proceeds chronologically from Acts and Paul up to John Paul II. It covers both Catholic and Protestant theology, with helpful discussions of how they differ.

• “Reason and Faith: Philosophy in the Middle Ages,” by Thomas Williams. The lectures in this series (24 in all) discuss the thought of Augustine, Boethius, Anselm, Abelard, Bonaventure, Aquinas, Duns Scotus, and William of Ockham. They focus specifically on how these greats thought about God and how human reason could (or could not) approach understanding of revealed truth. Real mind-stretching material.

• “Science and Religion,” by Lawrence Principe. This is a terrific short course (12 lectures) on how Christianity and Western science have coexisted from the medieval period to the twentieth century.

If you go to the Teaching Company’s website, you will notice that the “normal” prices of the lectures are very, very high. However, all their courses go on sale periodically throughout the year, with discounts of as much as 70%. So if I see a course I’m interested in and it’s not on sale, I just wait a few months until the price is reduced and grab it then. I have been extremely pleased with their products. (Just to be clear, I’m not associated with the Teaching Company in any way.)

teach12.com/teach12.aspx

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.