Teaching High School kids Apologetics?

I will be teaching post Confirmation kids (Juniors & Seniors) this coming fall in Catechism class and would like to dedicate at least part of the year to some Apologetic topics. Has anybody done this or have any good ideas or reference materials to use for this type and age of teaching?

My goal for them is to hopefully prep them for some of the tough situations they’re sure to face once they enter college or just the world (some basic Creator, Christian, and Catholic Apologetics as well as some moral modern day hot button issues like gay marriage, abortion, gender identity, etc…)

Thanks!

Have a look at Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth, courtesy of Catholic Answers.

This was originally written for high school students attending World Youth Day (in Denver, 1993, if memory serves me correctly). So it was written specifically for your target audience.

I recommend the booklet form (and they only cost a dollar).

I hope you get some helpful direction with this. Apologetics is so important and I think that we need to start them down in pre - k and kdg. Of course the topics wouldn’t be deep but they would be stepping stones to understanding by the time they become adults ready to conquer the world.

God bless you in your endeavor!!

Rita

I just graduated from a Catholic high school a little over two weeks ago! YAY!! :D:D

Anyway, so my idea on topics that would interest and captivate juniors and seniors in regard to apologetics would be a sound defense for Jesus’ Real Presence in the Holy Eucharist. I fear that many young people have forgotten this basic tenet of our Faith and unfortunately tend to act in disrespectful manner around Jesus in the Eucharist.

Another idea would be to explain the importance of Catholicism as the One, True Faith of God and that “outside the Church there is no salvation.”

In terms of morality, I would talk about Jesus’ call to chastity, examples from Mary and the saints, and the various offenses against chastity and God’s natural law and WHY they are offenses (like fornication, homosexuality in practice, abortion, contraception, etc.). Impurity is the main area of sin for people my age so that should definitely be something to discuss in detail, but, of course, in a way that can be listened to, understood, and and appreciated by teenagers in high school.

I hope this helps! May God bless you as you undertake catechesis of the future of His Holy Catholic Church!! :slight_smile:

Well for just graduating I would say you are far ahead of most… thank you for your insight!

Thank you… I actually carry that little book around with me in my pickup, but I haven’t looked at it for a while now. I’ll look through it again and see what might be applicable.

If they are catechised well apologetics will come naturally.
St Augustin said, “the truth is like a lion. You don’t need to defend it. Let it loose and it will defend itself.”

Peace and all good!

I have a very good suggestion that could fit your needs about right on the money.
http://shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/210x210/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/beginning-apologetics-1_1.jpg Beginning Apologetics Volume 1: How to Explain and Defend the Catho…

You might be able to use the free handouts available through the Defend Your Faith Apologetics series: historyandapologetics.com/p/defend-your-faith-series.html

Let me know if that could be useful.

thank you… I believe some of those may help

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.