Teaching Johnny About Islam

Paul Sperry, author of the disturbing and essential Infiltration, recaps the Islamization of American public schools. From Investor’s Business Daily via FrontPage, with thanks to Mackie:In our brave new schools, Johnny can’t say the pledge, but he can recite the Quran. Yup, the same court that found the phrase “under God” unconstitutional now endorses Islamic catechism in public school. In a recent federal decision that got surprisingly little press, even from conservative talk radio, California’s 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled it’s OK to put public-school kids through Muslim role-playing exercises, including:

Reciting aloud Muslim prayers that begin with “In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful . . . .”

Memorizing the Muslim profession of faith: “Allah is the only true God and Muhammad is his messenger.”

Chanting “Praise be to Allah” in response to teacher prompts.

Professing as “true” the Muslim belief that “The Holy Quran is God’s word.”

Giving up candy and TV to demonstrate Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting.

Designing prayer rugs, taking an Arabic name and essentially “becoming a Muslim” for two full weeks.

Parents of seventh-graders, who after 9-11 were taught the pro-Islamic lessons as part of California’s world history curriculum, sued under the First Amendment ban on religious establishment. They argued, reasonably, that the government was promoting Islam.

But a federal judge appointed by President Clinton told them in so many words to get over it, that the state was merely teaching kids about another “culture.”

So the parents appealed. Unfortunately, the most left-wing court in the land got their case. The 9th Circuit, which previously ruled in favor of an atheist who filed suit against the words “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance, upheld the lower court ruling.

The decision is a major victory for the multiculturalists and Islamic apologists in California and across the country who’ve never met a culture or religion they didn’t like - with the exception of Western civilization and Christianity. They are legally in the clear to indoctrinate kids into the “peaceful” and “tolerant” religion of Islam, while continuing to denigrate Judeo-Christian values.

jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/013942.php

Damn the United States! HOW DARE THEY EXPRESS RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE!!!

Next it’ll those pesky woman folks as people and tell us portraying Jews as evil usurpers is bad!

Where is this country going to?!

You wouldn’t mind your child then being Catholic for a few weeks. Praying the rosary, professing the creed, having a priest come in to convert them. That would be completely legal right? And if you complained you would be against tolerance right?

Teaching our children how to practice other religions in school goes far beyond religious tolerance.

I learned about Islam in high school and it was taught in a very positive light. But to actually have children recite Islamic beliefs and pretend to be Muslims… that is too much.

They do not show the same consideration for Christianity. No, our faith is condemned in schools as often as possible.

Where’s the ACLU in all of this? Seems like this would be a case they’d be salivating to prosecute…

ACLU prosecute Islam being taught in schools? They’d probably support it! :smiley:

Vickie

This is a far cry from religious tolerance. I suppose we should teach public school students how to recite the Rosary, Stations of the Cross, “mock” confessions?

Hmm in my area they have Catholic schools that are supported by the state. I wouldve imagined the US had the same.

If not, they by all means as long as you objectively teach other religions as well in an effort to promote a greater understanding lest they become hateful individuals (as the OP and many other posters on these fourms)

My guess towards this actions is to quell the growing hate crimes agaisnt Muslims in the west following 9/11.

What country are you in?

If not, they by all means as long as you objectively teach other religions as well in an effort to promote a greater understanding lest they become hateful individuals (as the OP and many other posters on these fourms)

I learned about Islam in college and it was presented in a favorable and respectful way. But then I educated myself after 9/11 and found that Islam is a religion that teaches violence against non-believers and sinners. So, your idea that by indoctrinating children with benign ideas about the religion of Muhammed, they won’t grow up to research and think for themselves is naive. If reading the Quran and hadiths and concluding that Muslims are part of a dangerous ideology that is a major threat to Western life is “hateful”, then so be it.

My guess towards this actions is to quell the growing hate crimes agaisnt Muslims in the west following 9/11.

9/11 was a hate crime. What is the Muslim world doing to quell the hate against the West? Teaching them about Christianity, perhaps? I think not.

Last I saw the ACLU was bent on liberating the world from Christians. Why would they bother prosecuting people who are also against Christians?

isn’t this against the US law?

Given previous rulings in the Supreme Court, it should be.

so what is to be done? do they ask muslim kids to say the Christian creed as well? i don’t think so.

The families that sued on behalf of their kids will have to ask the Supreme Court to hear their case. The SC might or might not. And we can’t be sure how it would rule on the subject, with two new justices.

well if teaching Islam in this “Islamic” way will become mandatory, then this must apply other religions . Either this or nothing

You get the state to pay for the difference in cost to send your child to a private school. That is what you do. Going to the Supreme Court is a secondary consideration of relief. One must go step by step.

Maybe Muslims here can comment on this as well. They very well may be against this and we dont know until we ask them what they think.

Meedo has some good insights on things like this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.