Teaching young children

I'm babysitting two kids of a co-worker. A special needs boy about 9, and a girl who's 10. I abstain every friday all year long, even with her kids at my house. I have a few religious things about my house too. They recently started asking me questions about Jesus and the Saints.

Their mother believes in God... but that's about it, she has mixed thoughts of Jesus. She doesn't really talk about God with her children. They've come to me asking questions. Now I don't have any children of my own. I'm 22, unmarried, and unexperienced in teaching/talking religion with younger kids. I guess I need advice on what I should tell them, or how it should be explained. Or if I should even talk to them about it, I really don't want to upset or offend their mother.

I would definitely talk to their mother and ask her what she would like you to do when they ask such questions.

Good idea. Oddly enough I didn’t even think of that first. Their mom has been asking me a lot of question as well whenever we work together.

I’m just glad you care so much about these children to ask and think deeply before doing anything yet.

They are very fortunate to have you involved in their family.:slight_smile:

You are a blessing indeed for what you do. My wife works with severe and profound at the local high school. There are many opportunities the Lord gives us to be a witness. I’d definitely ask their mother – I have a feeling she wouldn’t object.

Tell the kids about God and His nature. The Saints are an excellent example of people who were normal like us yet were inspired in many different ways to be better people. They are the heroes of Christianity. Kids like heroes. Always let them know when you can how much our Lord loves us and desires that we always come to him with our needs and good wants.

Thanks for being so sensitive to this issue. I will pray for you!

Peace be with you!

i agree about asking the mother first
while its a great idea to teach kids regarding God, Jesus and the Saints from a Catholic perspective, we should also respect the faith of other people. know first what the mother wants to teach her children and if its okay with her for you teach them a little Catechism

I agree with everyone about talking to the mother to let know her children are asking questions, but I also want to state that we can respect other people’s beliefs while still explaining our own. Simply include two little words found in the creed, “I believe…”. Sadly, religion has become such a taboo topic that what many children learn about God is that we shouldn’t talk or ask questions about Him. The idea that we shouldn’t talk about God and religion respects no faith, except Atheism.

I asked my boyfriend about the situation, since I’m still going through RCIA I don’t know how to answer all their questions. My BF was saying that as a Christian it’s kinda my duty, sort to speak, that I speak the truth about God and my beliefs. God’s Word is for all to hear no matter what their age or disposition is. To lie to them or avoid their questions would be ignoring what he thinks God would want me to do. If their mother had a problem with it she should then ask me to stop or perhaps tell them to ask her. Or if she was offended she should perhaps even find another sitter.

Does any one else agree with this? I completely understand where he’s coming from, because I’ve always felt pulled towards teaching religion/catchism. This kinda feels like my starting point.

I actually agree. I would teach the kids the faith and if the parents tell you to stop then I would abide by their wishes. It is always good to teach the young kids to act like Christ.

[quote="lizds, post:8, topic:199200"]
I asked my boyfriend about the situation, since I'm still going through RCIA I don't know how to answer all their questions. My BF was saying that as a Christian it's kinda my duty, sort to speak, that I speak the truth about God and my beliefs. God's Word is for all to hear no matter what their age or disposition is. To lie to them or avoid their questions would be ignoring what he thinks God would want me to do. If their mother had a problem with it she should then ask me to stop or perhaps tell them to ask her. Or if she was offended she should perhaps even find another sitter.

Does any one else agree with this? ...

[/quote]

Basically, yes. That's the point I tried to make. We don't have to be afraid to talk to people about God. We can tell of our faith in a personal way by saying, "This is what I believe..." You have a right to your beliefs, just as others have a right to their faith or lack of faith. This woman entrusts you with the care of her children, so she's got to expect that you will talk to them. I'd let her know that they are asking you questions, basically out of courtesy. (As you tell her what they ask and what you told them, you'll be evangelizing to the mom too.) Be respectful, but don't be afraid.

And welcome to the Catholic Church. If you don't know how to answer all their questions, that's not just because you are in RCIA. Children have a great way of asking all kinds of questions that can challenge theologians at times.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.