Team America----World Police----Prophetic Movie?

I was hoping for some input on this particular movie. Let me ask those who have seen the movie a question-----------

I happened to Re-Watch this movie after about Five years of not watching it. I watched it twice when it came out in 2004. Basically happened whole switching channels.

Needless to say, it is a VERY politically incorrect, profane, sexually perverted (remember the Puppet Sex?) piece of Satire from the South Park creators.

It is also undeniably funny. In a sick way, but funny nevertheless. It is a
guilty pleasure" of mine that remained from my heathen New Age days.

It is also basically conservative/libertarian in outlook in that it supports America's War On Terror/Islamic Fundamentalism and totally SLAMS Liberal/Leftist celebrities who opposed it and tried to shove their Anti-American Moral Relativism on the rest of us.

The question is-----given we are STILL fighting terrorism and MAY be ultimately heading for a confrontation with Islamic Terrorists Big Shots AND also Islam as well in the near future-------is it fair to say the work will be looked at twenty year form now as a "prophetic work" in that it identified and critiqued the failures BOTH sides committed (but particularly the Left) that may have hampered our Wars On Terror?

And aren't we in a way actually The World Police after all?:shrug:

Hi OrdinaryMelkite,
An interesting post. I have only seen the movie once and found it very funny (as you say, in a totally irreverent, sick way).
I think that filmmakers can perhaps get away with more in the realm of animation as they do not have to worry about big movie stars egos.
I have heard it said several years back from an American GI that yes, the US is indeed the World Police.
So I think the movie could be worth another look from that perspective.
God Bless,
Colmcille.

I hope you don’t mind me commenting herein, as I have not actually seen this movie, but your post does raise a few points that I should like to discuss…

As a non-American myself, I do often wonder how Americans perceive themselves in the eyes of, not just the Islamic world, but the world in general. To start, the nature of this topic does lend itself to generalisations - please read this post in that light…

I do think a great many Americans labour under misconceptions as to the perceptions the rest of the world has of America.

Indeed America IS in many ways a “World Police” given the superpower status America has held for so long, yet what I think irks many people and nations around the world, is the fact (or should that be “perception”?) that America will often only exercise that “Police” function as and when it suits America to do so - ie when it has an “interest” in the source / matter / geography of that unrest. For many people around the world, the words “World Police” would be more accurately described as “World Bully”. This is the reality in many parts of the world and I sometimes wonder how many ordinary Americans recognise this.

I think there is an emormous onus on America to be very even-handed when electing to get involved in global “hotspot” events. There is an incredibly fine line between helping out on the one hand, and over-policing or over-staying one’s welcome on the other. Events in the Middle East ever since the Iraqi attack on Kuwait in 1990 have reflected this fine line America has needed to tread. Many people have questioned the extent to which America’s involvement here has been motivated by self-interest or a genuine interest to work for the benefit of the Middle East and it’s people.

America needs to be very careful not to dictate political goals, ideals and agendas to other nations around the world.

When Mother Theresa worked in Calcutta, she did not focus on changing people’s beliefs or tell them why Catholicism was better than other faiths. She did not criticise others. She loved EVERYONE, she cared for everyone equally and she worked for ALL people in need, be they Islamic, Buddhist, Catholic or atheist. It was the simple but entirely committed act of LOVING that won her favour amongst ALL people. She, quite simply, let the example of her actions do all the talking.

Whilst comparing the work of a hugely influential international government with that of one humble nun might seem absurd, there is in fact much that the two have in common…

If American government policy was to focus less on global ideology and more (than it already does) on seeking to assist many more of the trouble spots around the world, it would win far more friends than it already has. It gave much help to Haiti after the recent earthquake there. There are many other parts of the world crying out for help. I would love to see America using their incredible resources with even greater generosity than is currently the case.

As an aside, Americans need to remember that the American way of life, its culture, its ideologies, its morality, its ethics, its code of conduct, its talk shows, its celebrity lifestyles, its movies etc, are all beamed right around the world via the media every single day. It should always bear in mind that all of this shapes perceptions of America all over the world… Media is an incredibly powerful and influential tool in shaping perceptions… What is said on Oprah for example, like it or not, reflects American culture across the world…

With economic success, prosperity and global power comes added responsibility and scrutiny… America as a nation should always bear this in mind…

Yes, indeed.

Prophetic? Perhaps. For my part, I can vividly imagine a future John Bolton giving Gary's stirring final speech to the U.N.--verbatim.

[quote="Le_Cracquere, post:5, topic:216817"]
Prophetic? Perhaps. For my part, I can vividly imagine a future John Bolton giving Gary's stirring final speech to the U.N.--verbatim.

[/quote]

You may have a strong point there. :thumbsup:

I was thinking the other day-----what category does Obama fall into----D--k, P---y, or A-----e?

I say Definitely "P---y.":thumbsup:

I think the most truthful scene in the movie was the part that involved the United Nations Inspector. Now I don't have the exact quotes memorized but it was something like this:

"You must let us inspect your palace for weapons or else!"

"Or else what?"

"Or else we will be very angry at you, and then we will write you a letter telling you how very angry we are"

Classic line exposing how useless the United Nations is with peace.

[quote="wjp984, post:7, topic:216817"]
I think the most truthful scene in the movie was the part that involved the United Nations Inspector. Now I don't have the exact quotes memorized but it was something like this:

"You must let us inspect your palace for weapons or else!"

"Or else what?"

"Or else we will be very angry at you, and then we will write you a letter telling you how very angry we are"

Classic line exposing how useless the United Nations is with peace.

[/quote]

You basically nailed it.

Hans Blix actually referenced that scene in a speech some time later. Was very mature about it. Unlike Sean Penn, who has NO sense of Humor and actually got all upset about his portrayal in the movie. By a puppet.:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.