Team of Researchers Blames Children's Films for Perpetuating "Heteronormativity"

By Kathleen Gilbert
ANN ARBOR, Michigan, June 24, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Researchers at the University of Michigan have concluded that the love stories told in classic Disney and other G-rated children’s films - such as the Little Mermaid - are partially to blame for the pervasiveness of what they label “heteronormativity.”

“Despite the assumption that children’s media are free of sexual content, our analyses suggest that these media depict a rich and pervasive heterosexual landscape,” wrote researchers Emily Kazyak and Karin Martin, in a report published in the latest issue of the Sociologists for Women in Society (SWS) publication Gender & Society.

Kazyak and Martin said they studied the role of heterosexual relationships in several of the highest-grossing G-rated films between 1990-2005.

Rest of article…

The day children’s “G rated” films started showing ‘homonormality’ is the day I start praying that the end is near. Chastisement, anyone? :eek:

Wow. Where to begin?

1 - Never underestimate the ability of “scientists” to miss the forest in their study of trees.

2 - Sociologists for Women in Society (SWS): no agenda there :rolleyes:

3 - “depictions of hetero-romatic love as exceptional, powerful, transformative, and magical” - did they ever pause to consider why it is so?

All kinds of inappropriate (over-sexualized) behavior gets a PG rating these days. The same treatment for “G” is coming.

IIRC, the movie ratings are designed to reflect societal opinion, not objective standards.

I wonder if these people got a grant to study childrens’ movies to determine whether they contain any “boy meets girl” stuff. Probably they did. If any serious person ever doubted the decline of scholarship in our universities, they could not have doubted further after learning of this.

I could have told them this for half the price.

This is not scholarship. The agenda is clear: normal is not normal but one of many alternatives. To my fellow Catholics – proclaim the truth.

Peace,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.