Tear Each Other Apart Thread

Just created this thread to link away from mine which is being hijacked so they can continue their debate and tear each other apart within it.,

This is going to be a thread that will have no real topic to it, so there is no way to go off topic, it will be where I point people to that insist upon tearing each other down, tearing each others views down, tearing each others perspectives, and in general, showing as a shining example of how we are not in any way kind to each other and the use of tact is entirely optional.

So, let the games begin. :frowning:

Good idea, prodigalson12. It would be nice if it works. I find myself unsubscribing to more and more threads because they cease to be civil exchange of opinion or fun and become war zones. We don’t always do such a good job of presenting Catholicism to the world!

Dad always said, “it takes two to tango”, so throw us non-Catholics in there, too. IOW, "we (all of us) don’t always do such a good job of presenting Christianity to the world. :frowning:

Jon

What most who tear each other down in these forums fail to realize is that the other person just might possibly love Jesus as much as they do. And also, the manner in which we judge others is how we are going to be judged. That thought alone is often enough to stop me in my tracks when I want to mount the self-righteous horse.

This topic is needed in these forums now more than ever.

I don’t know how to quote multiple posts, (computer illiterate here) but everyone before me was dead on accurate!

We, as Christians, need to realize that we are under orders to pray for those who we disagree with. Not shout at them, or tear them apart.

I stand corrected, JonNC, and you’re right, but being Catholic I can only speak for us.

Another thing we don’t take into account is that not everyone is at the same place spiritually, even if they are of the same faith. Most people who initially post here are innocently looking for friendship and support of their relationship with God, or are seeking one. How many have been driven away by the treatment they’ve received or the brawls they’ve witnessed? A forum can be a pretty scary place to be; you never know when you’ll be attacked or ignored altogether.

Sometimes our problems are just that we understand words or even ideas in different ways. Some of the arguements I’ve seen I sort-of feel that everyone is saying something similar, but because they (and not even necessarily the church family they belong to) understand or use the word slightly differently they don’t see it’s the same thing.

By the same token, I’ve learned some excellent things about my faith, about what my church says, and about what others believe.

For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another. - Paul

And, as to be expected, God’s Word says it best…

I believe the Catholic Magestrium teaches that Protestants share the love of the Scripture with Catholics.

=FickleFreckled;5808779]I stand corrected, JonNC, and you’re right, but being Catholic I can only speak for us.

Not my intention to correct you, but only to place my conviction next to yours -at the foot of the cross.

Another thing we don’t take into account is that not everyone is at the same place spiritually, even if they are of the same faith. Most people who initially post here are innocently looking for friendship and support of their relationship with God, or are seeking one. How many have been driven away by the treatment they’ve received or the brawls they’ve witnessed? A forum can be a pretty scary place to be; you never know when you’ll be attacked or ignored altogether.

:thumbsup: What a disservice we do when we scare people away from the Church Universal.

Jon

I’m warmly touched by the responses here. This turned into a very wonderful surprise to see how it’s going so far. Thank you all so much, God bless you!!!

prodigalson12,
We’re sorry…you wanted to direct the people who tear each other apart to this thread, didn’t you…(y’want us to argue a little?)

:slapfight::slapfight::blackeye::slapfight::crutches:

Lol FickleFreckled, In the back of my mind, I was going to make a chuckle about that when I first encountered the feedback on this thread. The direction this is taking is far better then I could imagine, so it’s now in my signature. There are several points raised that hit close to home with me, such as unsubscribing to threads I was in because they turned into a warzone, and I can totally relate to how many people are here to find friendship and support. The first post I made at CAF, I had nobody to turn to and my life was in total shambles in pretty much all areas, the friendship and support I received was a God send.

Thanks again guys, keep up the good work!!!

Tell me about it. I’m just back from yet another hiatus, since I was anNOYed by yet another round of “Anyone who isn’t Catholic is TEH DEVOL!11111” and “ALL HOMOSECKSHULZ R TEH EVOL!!111111” As well as the smug, self-aggrandizing, Pharisaical self-back-patting that goes on. I came to the Catholic Answers Forum to have my faith strengthened. Unfortunately, for every person who posts something that builds it up just a little, there’s someone who comes along who posts something that tears it down. I’m about ready to craft my own belief system so that I don’t have to be associated with any one group and be annoyed/embarrassed by the sorts who give it a bad rap.

People really, really, REALLY need to think before they post. Before they hit that “Submit Reply” button, they should stop, take a deep breath or two or ten, re-read their post, and ask themselves “Is this something that reflects what Christ would say? Is this really a Christian post?” Keep this in mind: That angry condemnation of someone who’s different from you could be the wedge that slowly causes someone to separate from the Church or think twice about joining it.

In truth, if Non-Catholics would just realize they were wrong and become Catholic, there would be no more reason for ‘tearing each other apart’. So, the doors are open, come on in and join the True Church.

prodigalson12,
I’m glad you found what you needed here. I joined a little over a year ago when I was out of work and CAF kept me sane. There have been many times I’ve thought of chucking it because of somebody’s nastiness or arrogance, especially in certain forums, but I got over it. Some people don’t though. What really floors me is when the poor OP, who started a perfectly legitimate thread, ends up leaving because of the turn the thread takes. Sometimes I think it would be fun (and funny) to hijack those kinds of threads with NICENESS and drive 'em really crazy…:smiley:

And the very same thing is said by the other side. It’s about absolutes when it comes down to it and this is why offense is typically taken with statements like this. You just told them all that their church is false and yours is correct and they say the same thing right back, thus the debate begins.

I have been at odds with both sides here regardless, and was being bashed often by fellow Catholics until around May, so even having the same church in common didn’t fix it at all.

I appreciate the invitation, and pray for the day when reconciliation takes place. Until then, I pray God’s blessings on my siblings in Christ who are in communion with the Bishop of Rome, and all other Christians.

Jon

One day I unsubscribed to the threads, and stayed away for about 6 months. Partially because I felt the negative energy was affecting me.

It is not just here. I was at a radio broadcast several weeks ago that also streams on the internet. They had a live chat and were interviewing a Christian writer.

A man came into the chat room with an obviously Muslim name. They wanted to know if he was a Muslim, that was the first question, then they told him to …“BEGONE EVIL” I had never witnessed such rudeness in a chat room before. They tore into him without provocation. There is a lot of emphasis put on manners in his culture. The man apologized for offending with his presence!

I asked them what harm could it have done for him to listen to the guest? The response was “Some people are too spiritually blind to recognize evil”.

To which I responded, “Oh I recognize it…trust me”.

Someone mentioned the state of America today, so I made a reference to the title of the book. They said I was delusional and it was all in my head, not realizing I agreed and it was the title of their guests book! :eek: A moment of awkward silence followed… HAHAHAHA

I said nothing more and stayed around for just a few minutes to watch them try to get come up with a good “save”. They hoped the writer was not looking at the chat board too. …lol

They were hateful just to be hateful. If I were not christian I would have been very hurt, angry, and would think twice before walking back down that path again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.