Tear-Jerker Movies: What's the most saddest movie you've ever seen

Well, I have to admit that I do cry at some movies.

The saddest movie I’ve ever seen was Somewhere in Time (1980).
I bought the DVD and watched how the film was made, and even during the clips they played, I tore me up!

Of course next would be Passion of the Christ (2004)

Two excellent choices. Recently, the ending scene of The Return of the King was rather jerky.

I also have to throw in *Armageddon. *

Showing my age here… but Old Yeller brought a tear or two to my eye.:crying:

Out of Africa
West Side Story
Schindler’s List

I’m sure I’ll think of more later.

Scout :tiphat:

There are so many! One movie is where Robin Williams was a psychiatrist.

The Stepmother.

The Mighty Heart…movie about Daniel Pearl.

Ghost with Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore, esp at the end when he was going to Heaven.

The 2 that come to mind immediately are Brian’s Song and Bang the Drum Slowly. Those 2 movies always always make me cry.

Another one that I could not make it through without snuffling was Simon Birch. A wonderful movie based in the book A Prayer for Owen Meany.

Ditto “Brian’s Song” (the original with James Caan and Billy Dee Williams)

I have yet to get through “8 Seconds” without bawling my head off.

I’m sure there are others, but the coffee hasn’t kicked in yet. I’ll be back later.

For sheer heart-wrenching drama, The Passion of the Christ.
Next is Terms of Endearment. Wow! What a tear-jerker! It is also very funny. If you haven’t seen it, SEE IT.

Elephant Man
Color Purple

• Passion of the Christ
  • Life is Beautiful

I heard that Ladder 49 is extremely sad. Anyone that I talked to, who watched this movie, bawled.

Old Yeller

The Notebook (they are going to revoke my cynic card for that one)

A.I.

Steel Magnolias

Watership Downs

A.I. Absolutely! It touched me, and my sinuses were clogged for two days. I never, ever want to see that movie again!

I can get tears just thinking about that - it was a sobbing out loud kind of movie.

Two of the movies I would have chosen. Life is Beautiful, or La Vita e’ Bella is an amazing film. It’s an Italian language film, but on DVD you can get subtitles or a pretty good English language dubbing. I recommend that film to everyone, it is pure class.

Roberto Benigni won the best actor oscar for this film, for a foreign actor to win that award in a foreign langauge film shows just how good it is. A real must see.

“Finding Neverland” is my favorite movie. I don’t cry at movies, but it is really sad in the end. :o

I agree, Brian’s Song. Made it OK for grown men to cry in front of one another.

It’s amazing how the father (played by Roberto) sacrifices for his family. Words cannot describe how touching this movie is. Also, for anyone who never watched this movie, it’s about an Italian family living during World War 2.

According to my Italian friend, the original Italian version is even better. A lot of words/phrases that can only be expressed in Italian were taken out of the English version (English is such a mechanical language, in comparison). What a pity I can’t understand Italian…

I agree on Life is Beautiful.

Also, Hotel Rwanda and Schindler’s List.

Life is Beautiful- I agree on this one.
I’ve seen this movie several times and can’t get through it
without bawling my eyes out, towards the end.
Passion of the Christ- Saw it once- cried off and on all the way through.
Schindlers list.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.