Tearing up during mass

You are Mine” has the same effect on me.

0 Likes

For me, most recently, it was the Christmas reading, thinking about the angels all full of excitement going to the shepherds to tell them about the Good News “Be not afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which will come to all the people”

0 Likes

Well said. I agree strongly with this. Tears are part of what makes us human, whether we are male or female. It might help you to remember…

“And Jesus wept.” (John 11:35)

I tend to tear up, right after Holy Communion.

God bless and Happy New Year :snowing:

0 Likes

All the time; glad I’m not the only one.

0 Likes

I too, tear up often when I realize that Jesus loved me so much that He died for me!

When the Priest says, “This is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to His supper”, I loose it.

I didn’t appreciate the beauty of this Perfect Gift until I was in prison and could not go to Holy Mass.

Then I realized that I had totally ignored Jesus for so many years.

As St. Augustine said, “Too late have I loved you, O beauty ever ancient, ever new. You were within me, but I was outside myself and there i sought you.”

Cry those tears of joy with all of us! Better late than never!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

0 Likes

So it’s not just me. . .:slight_smile:

0 Likes

i have experienced being teary eyed or to the point of crying during a point at mass or even during alone while praying. i have learned a lot from this thread. thank you. i used to think that i am such a baby or a very emotional person for having this kind of ‘crying times’ but as my relationship with the Lord deepens, i know He speaks to me through my prayers and with my tears, His Holy Spirit manifests itself.
godbless us all

0 Likes

But Claire… you are so correct! :wink: We are all God’s “babies”! :o

0 Likes

These parts get to me too. It doesn’t help that I have probably been sobbing since the beginning of the consecration. My pastor’s homilies will get me started quite frequently also. He is awesom and it is all I can do to not stand up and applaud a lot of the time.

0 Likes

Today, the deacon talked about his morning ritual of drinking coffee at the kitchen table while trying to wake up. He uses the same mug every day – one that has a cartoonish monk and bird on it with the words, “God Loves You.” You’d think that’s pretty banal, but it’s so true. Some days, he says, he smiles after reading that saying; other days, he tells God that ‘you wouldn’t think so from the way You’re treating me today.’ But when he said, ‘sometimes, I just say, I love You, too,’ I broke into a big smile – almost tears.

Who says Catholics don’t have a personal relationship with their Lord? Who better to have a cup of joe with in the a.m.?

God bless,
Dan

0 Likes

I didn’t tear up today.Maybe it’s because I had the Grandaughter on my lap(19 mos.):stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

I attend a Lutheran church, but I tear up easy during some songs and during the sermon. It can be odd little things that just strike me depending on the subject matter. It happens at most services. I just try to hide it somehow :slight_smile:

My wife tells me I’m a cold and indifferent person, so I guess it’s just the Holy Spirit working through me :o

Be comforted my brother. It’s okay. Even our Lord wept. :thumbsup:

Peace…

MW

0 Likes

Michael is a very dear friend of mine, and yes he does cry during Mass. Just being in the presence of Christ and the awesomeness of it all gets to him sometimes. Well, most times actually. :slight_smile:

I’ve often cried at Mass as well for the same reason. I hear the words “This is My Body” and I just loose it. :o

The Marty Haugen Gloria will REALLY get me going too - I’ve almost been sobbing sometimes. I typically prefer the more traditional Mass settings, but for some reason this Gloria can really get me going.

~Liza

0 Likes

I have teared up - or started to - so many times at Mass I cannot count.

It is usually during the consecration, or, at Latin Mass, the prayers immediately preceding.

0 Likes

I tear up during Mass all the time!! haha Not a noticeable amount to anyone else (I don’t think), but it happens fairly often. I have a proclivity to do so during the Homily or during Communion (at which time I’m usually just praying because I’m not Catholic just yet). I always seem to hear something also that just strikes a chord and I’m happy I heard what I did… and here come the tears!! haha I actually did see a fellow fellow (ha) wiping his eyes after prayer, and his wife just caressed his back as he let it go… I think the Parish should be one place where your gender shouldn’t matter at all. If what you’re feeling is geniune, let it flow. I think I would spend more time trying not to cry than listening for something else that may be equally comforting…

0 Likes

I am a “manly man”, I work an industrial job.
I too from time to time, feel moved to tears at mass. Usually it’s when contemplating what Jesus sacrificed for all of us. I too fight it back. I do however, like to inform father after Mass that I felt particularly moved by the service. I figure they appreciate hearing it.
-christian-

0 Likes

What you describe here is exactly the same with me. It used to bother me a lot and like you I’ve learned to accept it. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it though… It happens so unexpectedly… WHAM!

0 Likes

In the late '80s I recall one of our lectors started a reading, got the first sentence out, then broke down in tears. I don’t remember the exact start of the scripture reading, something like “For God [or the Lord] has been good to me…”, at which point he lost it.

We all waited, some in tears with him. They were, it turns out, tears of joy and thanksgiving. For God had been so very good to him.

That lector, who saw my father through his onset and eventual death due to Alzheimer’s disease in 2002 - is now himself dying of the same horrible disease in a nursing home in Texas. Please pray that God continues to show him mercy - his name is Sid, and I will always remember him with thanks for his friendship with my father, and as a very gentle and beautiful man.

0 Likes

Anthony, I can assure you this is not weird or unusual for men or women. It happens regularly to more than most realize. I have teared up more tha once while proclaiming the gospel at mass and had to assure one of the altar servers that I was indeed OK. Other times that this occurs is during the consecration and reception of Communion. WOW Some call this a gift of tears. I have had it occur while preaching missions in different parishes. What most say, and I agree, is that one is overwhelmed by being used by God, or by being blessed by him the way he blesses us because we are acutely aware of our unworthiness. Believe me, this does not make the person a saint. We all have our faults and failings, but it certainly does make us more aware of them.
Prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B

0 Likes

**The problem with this, is that even whores can do it: so it’s no sure sign of devotion. **

**That by the way is not my opinion - it’s what St. Philip Neri said. He was well qualified to speak; not least because he is one of the few Saints to have received the gift of reading consciences. He was not easily impressed by reports of remarkable favours - far from it. And he tried very hard to avoid any notice being taken of the very great graces he received :slight_smile: If we talk much about graces we believe we may have received, that’s a bad sign. (That’s my paraphrase of something said by Father F.W. Faber :)) **

**Two rough tests: **
[LIST]
*]does anything else cause the same reaction ? Some people are moved by music, & “tear up” at that
*]what is the life & character of the person affected ?[/LIST]**So “tearing up” may brought on by devotion - or it may not; we should not suppose too readily that it is, for it may simply be temperament or a hundred other “non-religious” causes that are at work. If one “tears up” but is full of many vices, it’s safe to assume that nature is at work & not grace: St. Philip, himself so radiantly holy & “burning with love for men”, was the one man in Rome who thought himself a great sinner. **

Just rambling

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.