Ted Cruz is the first Latino to win a caucus or primary. Why isn’t that a bigger deal?

An interesting question.

washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/03/ted-cruz-is-the-first-latino-to-win-a-caucus-or-primary-why-isnt-that-a-bigger-deal/

Because he’s a Conservative.

He’s joined the British Tory party now? Good Lord, he’d have to be more effective than Cameron at least anyway.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Accomplishments for minorities don’t count if you have unapproved opinions.

it’s because, like many Latinos, he doesn’t match the image. Some Cubans, like Rubio and Cruz, are as white as Wonder Bread, and, from birth, assimilated. Cruz is even a protestant, thus fitting the image and identifying characteristics of a “native” even more.

Others don’t make much of Cruz’ being Latino, or Rubio’s for that matter, because those two don’t actually identify with it themselves in any way people can tell.

Do you mean they don’t engage in “identity politics”?

I think that’s part of it, yes.

if he were a democrat CNN would have been all over the story.

Further, Cruz’s mother is not Latina and he goes by his middle name, Edward, rather than his first, Rafael.

Rubio’s grandparents came from Spain to Cuba, he speaks Spanish, I think his English even shows a bit of a Spanish accent. He is a full Cuban.

Cubans are not a large percentage of all Hispanics.

Ted yes, also has Italian and whatever else from his mother’s side.

Obama is half white and was raised by white people. Didn’t stop the shock and awe of the main stream media for a moment.

Slightly off-topic, but did anyone notice how Reagan and McCain were criticized as being “too old”, but there’s a resounding No Comment from the media on Bernie Sanders’ age?

Plus, George Zimmerman is part Latino, but that little fact didn’t stop the “white man kills innocent black boy” narrative. Hypocrisy, I tell you.

I hadn’t realized that McCain was criticized for his age. In the case of Reagan, in those days, 70ish was regarded as older than it is today especially for the most demanding job of POTUS. Trump is just about the same age as Sanders, and so is Biden who is not running, but neither looks their age and Trump, in particular, behaves like a much younger man, indeed like an adolescent.

Yes, you have a good point. At the same time, I think Cuban Hispanics have generally considered themselves somewhat apart from other Latinos. Also, we know that in our country, historically speaking, even one drop of Black blood was enough to make one Black in the eyes of White America.

Cuba is actually a pretty diverse Hispanic country. For example a lot of baseball players (Yasiel Puig, Kendrys Morales, and half-Cuban Eric Hosmer) all look very different.

Could be many different reasons.

One, Cruz is kind of an odd duck. Most of the articles I’ve read about him highlight what an awkward and strange man he can be. When compared to the other candidates from both major parties, he’s also somewhat bland personality wise.

Second is the Canada birth issue (ie: He’s a Cuban-Canadian-America). The more you highlight his non-American roots, the more people are going to get into the birther issue he raises (more so than Obama did 8 years ago).

Third, as mentioned by others, he’s about as WASP as a partially latino candidate can get. Part is his own upbringing and personality, partially because he’s really not all that Latino being a Canadian born guy, whose mother is a white American from Delaware, and his father was only a first generation Cuban (his grandfather was from Spain). He doesn’t really fit the general perception of “Latino.” He’s a gun toting Republican from Texas with a traveling former Catholic, now protestant preacher for a father.

Well I’m not going to celebrate his actions this week. Not by a long shot. He should be ashamed of himself and the actions of his campaign.

Just out of curiosity, why do people refer to Obama as half white instead of half black, and yet by people here, Cruz is called Latino and not half white? Hmmmm.

:confused:

Actions of his campaign?

Cruz is a deeply reverent and spiritual man, he noted how when Reagan was sworn in, it was open to 2 Chronicles 7:14:

14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

I think both Cruz and Rubio could be more experienced but would be good presidents, this with Carson is unfortunate but voters should keep up with the news. We will see if it is brought up in the debates. Dr. Carson too, is a very good man.

Perhaps with New Hampshire, more candidates will drop out if they don’t do well, I don’t think Cristie is doing particularly well and we will have to see about Bush. I did watch an interview with Bush the other night which was thoroughly enjoyable and informative, he has said he is in it for the long haul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.