Ted Cruz wants U.S. citizens fighting with Islamic State banished from country

Sen. Ted Cruz, Texas Republican, told a crowd of 3,000 at a conservative summit in Dallas that Americans fighting with Islamic State militants should be exiled from the country saying, “we need to not let into this country any American who is fighting with ISIS.”

But some conservative politicians say that banishing American jihadists doesn’t go far enough, and that those who leave the country to fight for militant groups like the Islamic State, Hamas, or al Qaeda should be stripped of their citizenship.

Read more: washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/31/conservatives-raise-call-to-strip-jihadists-of-us-/#ixzz3C5JBcpKJ

There are similar laws being proposed in the UK as well.

I’m somewhat confused. Wouldn’t an American who goes to fight for a terrorist organization like ISIS be automatically banned from re-entering the USA? Or am I missing something?

Ishii

you would think. I know from a few articles they are investigating citizens and people who are living here or was who are now fighting for ISIS… Britain is too.

Yes one would think that going to fight for ISIS would automatically be considered a renunciation of citizenship - just like joining a Satanist group might be considered automatic excommunication (not sure about that).

Ishii

There isn’t a law against them returning, and legally we aren’t at war with Syria and we don’t recognize ISIS as a government.

Ive never known Ted Cruz to come up with a bad idea. I think he’s one of the few noteworthy politicians who has gained monumental status as what it means to be an American… Even if he was born in Canada. :slight_smile:

We should have a law put in place like the Dutch. Those who join ISIS and go and fight for them, have their citizenship revoked.

Of course the ACLU will fight against such a law.

Jim

But what do we do with them? Just send them back to the Middle East? I don’t want them here, just asking.

or what about those who fund groups such as ISIS? they may not fight for them but supporting them by funding… should we send them to the middle east or imprison them?

Rep. Frank Wolf (R., Va.). He proposed a new law in April that is dead in committee right now. “The International Conflicts of Concern Act." The idea of that bill is to restrict traveling to Syria (or similar countries) without a permit and also make illegal the material support of ‘entities that are engaged in armed conflict in such country’.

”To restrict United States nationals from traveling to countries in which foreign governments or anti-government forces allow foreign terrorist organizations to engage in armed conflict for purposes of participating in such armed conflict or from providing material support to entities that are engaged in such armed conflict, and for other purposes…

Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the President shall submit to Congress a report that identifies each country the government of which or anti-government forces in which the President believes, based on all information available to the President, is allowing one or more foreign terrorist organizations to engage in armed conflict that is occurring in such country…

Syria shall be deemed to have been designated by the President under paragraph (1) as of the date of the enactment of this Act and the President is not required to notify Congress of such designation of Syria under subsection (b)…

require a United States national to obtain a license—

(1) to travel to such country; or
(2) to provide material support to entities that are engaged in armed conflict in such country."

The penalty would be up to 20 years in prison. The bill is here:
govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr4223/text

Their passports should become invalid as they are no longer citizens of the USA.

Well, that would be the right law to have in place, but it won’t happen, you can be sure of it.

Jim

Extradite them to the countries they were fighting against.

And, if we do banish them, don’t forget to forgive them, love them, and pray for them…because that’s the way Jesus taught us to roll!

If they are non-citizens or naturalized citizens, they should be permanently banned (and have their citizenship revoked, if applicable).

If they are American citizens by birth, they should be arrested and tried for treason.

They wanted to make war on the civilized world then let them make their home in the uncivilized world.

Linus2nd

There is a law that makes it a crime to provide material support for terrorism, so they certainly could be arrested whenever they attempt to return. If tried and found guilty they can be imprisoned for up to 15 years. It is part of the Patriot Act.

law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2339A

I don’t like the idea of stripping people of citizenship, execpt in the case where it was obtained fraudently. It has happened in the cases of Nazis who became citizens after lying about their prior history. It would certainly apply if a foreign national came here with the intention of starting or joining a terrorist cell.

…along with those who give them financial support!

Now, see if you can get the democrat controlled Senate to vote for it! :rolleyes:

Sorry, my editing time ran out. The penalty is up to life in prison if a death results from the support of terrorism. That sounds about right for any American who fights for ISIS.

Prime minister Cameron of England gave a tough speech about this topic. I believe we should follow his lead.
I don’t know if Obama wants to get tough, but he needs to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.