Teen Suicide

One of the students in my class, who also goes to my catholic church attempted suicide. It kinda freaked me out. I was just wondering if any one could tell me whether he would go to hell?
I understand that God is forgiving, but would my friend be able to have a Catholic burial?
Any comments would be welcome

Suicide is a mortal sin I believe, but the Catechism says that fear of pain or suffering, etc, can lessen ones culpability. Also, if one is considering suicide, they are probably not in the right frame of mind, which also reduces culpability.

[quote=FuzzyBunny116]Suicide is a mortal sin I believe, but the Catechism says that fear of pain or suffering, etc, can lessen ones culpability. Also, if one is considering suicide, they are probably not in the right frame of mind, which also reduces culpability.
[/quote]

It seems that I remember hearing that somewhere before as well.

The Catholic Church used to deny a Christian burial to those who committed suicide. The Church did not mean that the person who committed suicide was condemmed to hell, it was showing public condemnation of the act of suicide.

I’m not sure what year that changed, but now the person who commits suicide is allowed a Christian burial, and care is taken to avoid appearing to make any judgment about the person, as well as not condoning the act of suicide. The person may even be buried in a Catholic cemetary with written permission from the local parish priest.

Suicide is the sin of those in despair, who have lost belief and hope in God’s mercy and ability to carry then through all adversarities. Suicide is the sin of Judas.

But the Church does not know whether or not the person’s culpability is diminished by their mental state, and who knows whether the person was able to make a perfect act of contrition at the moment of death? Therefore, their soul is never judged to be in hell, and we should still pray for their soul.

Suicide is often the result of clinical depression, which is thought to be a chemical imbalance in the brain, and is sometimes treatable with drugs. Persons who commit suicide cannot be considered to be in full possession of their faculties.

This is a subject all to close to my heart. Many times in the last 15yrs (Gosh, have I really been dealing with this for THAT long? :frowning: ). I don’t think God looks at how our life ended but what condition our heart was in when it happened. Sometimes the saddness is too thick to see anything. To trust in God seems like an impossible feat though it’s not. Satan whispers in your ear more furvently at those times and it’s hard not to listen. But God sometimes pulls us through to be a testament to those around us. And sometimes He brings us Home to release us from that torment.

How can i help my friend to see that he is loved/ not only by god but by all those around him. He thinks that no one cares about him.

Pray.

Say the rosary every day for him, and all those tempted by suicide.

[quote=angelic_page]How can i help my friend to see that he is loved/ not only by god but by all those around him. He thinks that no one cares about him.
[/quote]

From experience all I can say is LISTEN to him. Let him know that you hear him and you are there to help. Do not offer advice unless he specifically asks for it. Most of the time people who are depressed just need to talk. To be heard. That is how they know that you care. If you have never dealt with this kind of pain you CANNOT offer advice because you have no idea what Satan does to you during this time.

Also, talk to your priest or pastor and find a teen help group for this type of stuff and find out everything you can do for him. When appropriate ask him if he would like to talk to others who know EXACTLY what he is going through because he is not alone. Then get him in contact with that group if he says that is something he is open to. Satan whispers loudly in his ear so be sure to pray earnestly to God so that His voice will come out louder than Satan’s.

I will keep your friend in my prayers! PM me if you want to talk…

Also, pray the Saint Michael prayer over him…and with him if he will allow it…most who attempt suicide are severely oppressed by demons…and MANY are even possessed. Ask his guardian angel to guard him against all demonic attacks. And pray unceasingly for him.

It’s been quite awhile since my teen years, but I do remember that all emotions, especially the negative and the melancholic, seemed greatly magnified. Plus, some people simply have a melancholic temperament. Your friend could also have clinical depression. Encourage him to talk to a counselor and see a physician to evaluate this. Depressed people often do not seek help on their own without encouragement.

In the meantime, your friendship will be a blessing to him. You have no way to control his actions, but you can be a friend.

I was going to say something about the theology of suicide but this is not the time for that. Encourage your friend to get help. If no one else knows of the suicide attempt, you must tell them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.