Teenager Has Testicle Amputated After 'Tapping' Game

:eek:

I have two sons and I’ve never heard of this “game.” This is just…

Why, why in the world would a guy hit another guy in the groin just for “fun?!” This is just sick.

"Teenager Has Testicle Amputated After ‘Tapping’ Game

A Minnesota teenager had to have his testicle amputated after being punched in the groin by a classmate, KARE11.com reported Friday."…

Entire article here: myfoxny.com/dpp/health/Teenager-Has-Testicle-Amputated-After-Tapping-Game_37231261?obref=obinsite

"Student suffers amputation after embarrassing school assault

CROSBY, Minn. -- Pain is the operative word in the unfortunate story of 14-year-old David Gibbons. It is a pain he has endured both physically and emotionally after being punched in the groin by another student as he changed classes at Crosby Ironton High School. "...

Entire article here: kare11.org/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=851660&catid=14

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:1, topic:200577"]
:
Why, why in the world would a guy hit another guy in the groin just for "fun?!" This is just sick.

[/quote]

Its a stupid fad, but apparently it can be either a prank, or a game of who take take the most pain.

The trend isn't restricted to Minnesota. A search on YouTube reveals hundreds of videos of young boys, teens, and even members of the U.S. Navy, catching a friend (or enemy) unaware with a quick punch or slap to the genitals.

"Games like this are to see how tough you are," he says. "It's a way of establishing dominance and because it's hard to withstand being hit in the groin, it becomes a good measure of toughness."

"It's a pride thing, and by posting it to the Internet it's like proof. There's no doubt about your toughness; the whole world can see."

abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/sack-tapping-boys-punch-testicles-game/story?id=10762563&page=1

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:1, topic:200577"]

I have two sons and I've never heard of this "game." This is just....

Why, why in the world would a guy hit another guy in the groin just for "fun?!" This is just sick.

"Teenager Has Testicle Amputated After 'Tapping' Game

A Minnesota teenager had to have his testicle amputated after being punched in the groin by a classmate, KARE11.com reported Friday."...

Entire article here: myfoxny.com/dpp/health/Teenager-Has-Testicle-Amputated-After-Tapping-Game_37231261?obref=obinsite

[/quote]

read this on fox. im a teenage boy and this scared me, iv never heard of it.:eek:

Been there, survived that, it is not something I will tolerate my children doing. No way, no how.

But it is just stupid male games. I went to a military school and it was “funny” to do this when in formation and see if they could maintain bearing. But nobody would defend you if you got caught doing it.

FSC

My apologies if this offends the ladies, but it at times makes me wonder if I should start wearing a cup in case something like this happens.

[quote="FidesSpesCarita, post:5, topic:200577"]
Been there, survived that, it is not something I will tolerate my children doing. No way, no how.

But it is just stupid male games. I went to a military school and it was "funny" to do this when in formation and see if they could maintain bearing. But nobody would defend you if you got caught doing it.

FSC

[/quote]

The poor kid has suffered brutally and may have to change schools (because of the cruel humor of kids these days), but it could be far worse. Lots of kids in this country end up DEAD because of teenage peer-pressure foolishness.

God bless him and everybody and ICXC NIKA.

I agree that it is a stupid fad.

"…“It’s a pride thing, and by posting it to the Internet it’s like proof. There’s no doubt about your toughness; the whole world can see.” "…

Posting it on the Net where the whole world can see is proof of something and there is certainly no doubt about that something. It appears that this is being done by boys and young men. I hope that as they mature, they realize this practice is one that should stop.

Also, the whole idea is strange. Why would a guy want to get that close to another guy’s stuff? I could see if someone needed to defend himself during a fight, crime, whatever, then he would go for a spot that is most vulnerable in self-defense. But, to do this for “fun?” I just don’t get it, no matter how macho it seems to those who do it.:nope:

Good idea!:thumbsup:

This kind of thing (albeit accidental, not on-purpose) is a mainstay on America’s Funniest Home Videos.

DaveBj

Brainerd, eh? I've seen Fargo... there's evidently not much to do up there.

I can understand the basis of the ritual (hazing a subordinate to see if he can take a beating without losing it) but it seems a bit coarse. It's much more civilized to scathe and demean your fellows purely with words. Probably why we invented cities in the first place... yeah, I'm pretty sure that's in the Politeia somewhere.

And yes, if you're in a social group where this sort of thing happens, I would think a cup to be advisable. Studded with metal spikes would afford an amusing reversal.

Just another reason why women don’t understand men…why would this be fun???

I'd never heard of this practice until a few days ago, and then today, I read this article about this and other odd fads. Apparently this is not so new. Strange.

WARNING: The article is a bit vulgar.

Bogus Trend Smorgasbord
Sack tapping, vodka eyeballing, and "little girl" parties.

Link: slate.com/id/2255927/?GT1=38001

Just found this article from ABC News containing a bit of info. Reading about the "why" of it is one thing, but I still cannot fathom why boys would actually do this, though.

That being said, after being aghast at reading about this "game," I did ask my middle child if he had ever heard of this before. He told me that one of his classmates had done it to him once and my boy had gotten very angry with the classmate, told him that he'd better not try that again. Classmate hasn't done it again. I hope that is the end of it and that neither of my sons encounter this "game" again.

'Sack Tapping' -- A Schoolyard Game Turned Ugly
Doctors Report Growing Fad: Boys Hit Each Other in Genitals, Post Video Online

Gone are the days when bullies merely gave wedgies. The newest fad in schoolyard violence? A quick slap to the testicles.

In the game of "sack tapping" or "ball tapping," as it is called, a boy will try to slap or flick the groin of another boy to inflict discomfort or pain.

Entire article: abcnews.go.com/print?id=10762563

To think Our Lord has to know all this sick stuff people do! I know any man worth his manliness will be sure to speak with his sons regarding any type of behavior of this kind. It is not wrong to defend yourself and a quick right punch in the face should put an end to any further insulting, painful abuse. Dads, teach your sons!

[quote="grotto, post:15, topic:200577"]
To think Our Lord has to know all this sick stuff people do! I know any man worth his manliness will be sure to speak with his sons regarding any type of behavior of this kind. It is not wrong to defend yourself and a quick right punch in the face should put an end to any further insulting, painful abuse. Dads, teach your sons!

[/quote]

I agree. As Fr. Larry Richards says 'Be a man!'

I also don’t get it. Yeah, it’s “fun” to inflict pain on your friends (and even more fun if they’re not your friends!). But the last thing a straight kid wants is for anyone to think he might be gay. So, why would you touch another guys genitals? It’s the same as the theory (I’ve had guys swear it’s happened in their locker room/showers) that circumsized guys will make fun of intact guys. Why would you want to be caught starting at another guy’s penis?

Can a man please explain this to me? Doesn’t this undermine your masculinity?

In Christ,

Ellen

When I was a kid just entering puberty...there was a "play yard" game called "squirrel"...where pre-pubescent and pubescent boys grabbed each other by the testicles and brought the opponent to his knees...then he was the "squirrel looking for nuts" and he chased other boys around the play ground or field to "tag" the next "squirrel" by hitting or grabbing the other boys in the game testicles causing him pain...it went on for weeks until one of the teachers put a stop to the game by threatening suspension.

Some guys look around at traffic lights to see if someone is driving a nicer car than them. Mario Andretti never does this when he drives his Lamborghini.

It is a matter of curiosity for many men. Men glance at one another at the urinals. Many men have no way to gauge the size of their manhood except by comparing with other men and except for the locker room…get little opportunity to do so. Many men in our society are very insecure when it comes to genital size.

I go to the gym…I can tell you the men who are well endowed tend to walk around the shower and locker room without a towel wrapped around their waist. Some of them even go into the sink area and put their foot up on the counter while they are shaving with all their business for all to see…and it’s typically the guys who like to “show off”. They will get looked at…for some it is a fetish. When I go with a friend of mine we can always count on the “posers” to make us feel inadequate…most men soon realize they are “average”…others realize they are well above average…and some got “short changed”…it is a matter of male curiousity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.