Teens’ Lawyers Plan to Question Tillerson on His Knowledge of Climate Change

"Lawyers for teenagers claiming the U.S. government failed to protect the environment from global warming plan to question under oath President-elect Donald Trump’s pick for secretary of state on his knowledge of climate change.

Exxon Mobil Corp. Chief Executive Officer Rex Tillerson’s testimony, set for the day*before the Jan. 20 inauguration, is being sought by lawyers representing 21 children and teenagers seeking to prove that oil and gas industry groups ‘have known about the dangers of climate change since the 1960s and have successfully worked to prevent the government’ from taking action…"

bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-12-29/tillerson-climate-change-testimony-sought-before-trump-sworn-in

I’m not sure whether this serves better as an example of “fake news” or of overindulged children’s eagerness to give their elders the benefits of their inexperience.

There is a particular political and ideological group in the US that either does not know or does not care how the Constitution of the US and Declaration of Independence work together in order to ensure that any given power in the US remains balanced. I suspect that the current administration belongs to this ideological group and is actively trying to change the fundamental balance of powers in the US in order to further it’s ideological position. They are simply using CC as a means to their end.

It is evident now, with this case and others, that a progressive ideology is trying to push federal courts into a position of power that they were never meant to be in.

The matter of this “court” case belongs to the Congress of the US, not a US District Court.

Seriously? I don’t know if I should laugh or cry. The thought that the American president or Secretary of State has any control of the climate any where on the planet is beyond preposterous. The current President and Secretary of State are experts on global warming and they gave Iran a nuke. Maybe we should be more concerned about that?

This article from legal news service Law360 or Columbia’s climate law blog has relevant notes. I doubt this case will move forward but stranger things have happened.

Litigation in this area will increase with the deregulation on the horizon.

The push for Colleges & Universities in fossil fuel divestment is another area that is quite active with environmentalists.

Frankly, I’d rather see reasoned arguments in these areas than radicals chaining themselves to pipelines. But that’s me.

Why not car manufacturers, they burn the stuff…if vehicles were limited, this wouldn’t be a problem. Climate change is like non-point pollution, there are so many sources out there you can’t point and say ‘you did it!’ . Now, all we can hope for is to try and slow it down.

Who is financing these lawyers who are suing on behalf of “21 children and teenagers”?

Good question. Always follow the money.

Exactly, I’d like to sue these Universities for contributing to Intellectual Change (IC). They’ve known for decades that the tripe they’ve been spewing has been lowering IQ’s nationwide, yet they have continued in their quest for more federal student loans - greed kills!

The group was started by environmental attorney Julia Olson but a cursory search shows some funding by the Rockefeller Brothers.

This is dangerously ignorant. There are relatively cheap and low-tech techniques for changing the climate on a global scale. That is to say, they are cheap enough and low tech enough that a large number of countries and companies (as well as some private individuals) would be able to implement them entirely on their own. Now according to you, the president and secretary of state are not responsible for the climate, so they should not get involved even if a country, company, or private individual announced that they planned to change the global climate in a way that was detrimental to the US.

you can donate if you wish, their website is - ourchildrenstrust.org/

Re the legality, it is based on the concept of “public trust,” in which the founding fathers the US were interested. the gov has a responsibility to ensure the welfare of our common resources. the website explains their legal angle.

there are people who are still concerned about the children’s future, we haven’t totally gone over to the dark side yet :slight_smile:

=lynnvinc;14388941]you can donate if you wish, their website is - ourchildrenstrust.org/

Even if I agreed with the case, my money has to pay off student loans and in federal taxes. I guess I’ll have to refer this to the sitting presidential administration, which is where a lot of our money has gone.

Re the legality, it is based on the concept of “public trust,” in which the founding fathers the US were interested. the gov has a responsibility to ensure the welfare of our common resources. the website explains their legal angle.

Yes, and keeping those resources off-limits based on an over-exaggerated problem is not only irresponsible but unsustainable.

there are people who are still concerned about the children’s future, we haven’t totally gone over to the dark side yet :slight_smile:

Well, for those who actually escape the clutches of an abortion doctor.

I also wonder if the media portrayal would be so friendly if kids had sued Van Jones, or if that would be played as spoiled white suburban children practicing white supremacy or the like.

My understanding is keeping basic-to-life resources from being degraded & polluted – for example our water & air & soil, which we & future generations need for survival.

I think that org is now making the case for the atmosphere & climate (which we would want to keep as life-supportive, r/t allow it to become life-harmful)

I don’t know their individual stands on abortion (the ones I know of are Catholic), but I think we Catholics could make the convincing case that it makes no sense to kill children in order to save the earth for children. I’ve made that case several times.

Is there a similar group suing on behalf of future generations for the amount of debt the government has placed on their backs?

Judith Curry in transition

Effective January 1, I have resigned my tenured faculty position at Georgia Tech.

A deciding factor was that I no longer know what to say to students and postdocs regarding how to navigate the CRAZINESS in the field of climate science. Research and other professional activities are professionally rewarded only if they are channeled in certain directions approved by a politicized academic establishment — funding, ease of getting your papers published, getting hired in prestigious positions, appointments to prestigious committees and boards, professional recognition, etc.

How young scientists are to navigate all this is beyond me, and it often becomes a battle of scientific integrity versus career suicide…

judithcurry.com/2017/01/03/jc-in-transition/#more-22651

Tucker Carlson w/ Judith Curry
dailycaller.com/2017/01/07/knives-sticking-out-of-my-back-global-warming-skeptic-tells-tucker-carlson-why-she-left-academia-video/

I’m not sure I would promote discharging aerosols into the atmosphere. If carbon is the culprit, the government could probably do better by simply providing better economic incentives to farmers and ranchers to maximize carbon sequestration in grassland root systems and in “weeding” forests to encourage the fast-growers and eliminate the “branch droppers” and “slow growers”. The benefit could be enormous, and much more effective than making heat needlessly expensive for people.

Reversing ongoing desertification in the rest of the world would be tough because their governments don’t want to do what’s necessary.

I was listening to the car radio some 15 or yrs ago - they were talking about the last member of the flat earth society had died. Who knew their were people in the late 20th century who still believed in a flat earth

What does that have to do with Judith Curry? That’s she’s a “flat earther” because she dares to challenge the mighty and wise environmentalists on the public doll?

I doubt these people are going to question Tillerson on his “knowledge” of MMGW theory. I imagine he knows at least the most prominent of the various MMGW ideologies, if not all of them. What they really want to do is grill him on whether he believes in it or not, if not, why not, and why he wants to turn the earth into a fireball of MMGW and kill all the puppies, kittens and baby bunnies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.